MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the other day that if you leave the headlamp switch turned on when you turn off the ignition and lock the car when you come back and unlock it the sidelights and rear lights come on. Thats a really good idea, particularly in a dark car park etc.

However its mad that the headlight switch has to be in the on position for it to work. A few years ago I had a Merc that did the same thing regardeless of the position of the headlamp switch (you could turn this on and off somewhere in the config menus for the car , if you didnt like the feature).

At the end of the day I would rather the sidelights came on every time I unlock the car so that on the occaisions that I need it in the dark I know it will work. You dont often park (in the light) knowing that it will be dark when you get back and hence leave the headlights in the on position. And no I'm not driving round all day with the headlights on all the time just so the sidelights come on when I unlock.:D:D

·
White Clubvan Man
51 Posts
Also, by parking it with the headlights on there is no possibility of accidently leaving the side lights / parking lights on and coming back to a car with a flat battery ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mmmm, but are you sure after months on this way, will not be problems for examples, at xenon lights?

·
Never to old to have fun
320 Posts
I leave my light in the auto position and sidelight come on when unlocking. If lights left of then it does't happen.
I do find my auto lights very sensitive and are forever coming on & off if driving down a road with a lot of trees on a sunny day. Anybody else had this problem? can the sensitivity been altered? :D

·
Clubman Fan
27 Posts
Same here davyboy with tree lined roads, although I don't find it a problem.
You could always turn off the auto and then switch back on when you park up I suppose.
AFAIK the sensitivity is fixed, unlike the auto wipers which can be adjusted.

·
Never to old to have fun
320 Posts
Same here davyboy with tree lined roads, although I don't find it a problem.
You could always turn off the auto and then switch back on when you park up I suppose.
AFAIK the sensitivity is fixed, unlike the auto wipers which can be adjusted.
Thanks for the reply Nairda, I know you can turn the lights off, defeats the idea off autolights though. I've been followed by a car along a tree lined road with his lights coming on & off, I thought he was flashing me at first.

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
I leave my light in the auto position and sidelight come on when unlocking. If lights left of then it does't happen.
I do find my auto lights very sensitive and are forever coming on & off if driving down a road with a lot of trees on a sunny day. Anybody else had this problem? can the sensitivity been altered? :D
Sure I read somewhere on here that the sensitivity can be altered if you have the sat nav option?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I leave mine on auto too - a whole lot easier and less faff for me and i agree with the others that they are sensitive. I do wonder if people think I'm flashing them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts