MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 R56 Cooper S seems to have lost the Limited Slip element of it's Limited Slip Differentail?

Accelerating out of a couple of bends this afternoon in the wet, I noticed that the inside wheel was spinning like mad, (Traction Control was turned off) like I had an Open Diff'?

When I returned home, I decided to do a "diff'" check.

I jacked the front of the Mini up so that both front wheels were off the ground. I then turned the drivers side wheel in a clockwise direction, if there was a Limited Slip Diff' fitted, then the passenger side front wheel would turn in an anticlockwise direction: both wheels should turn in the same direction.

If an Open Diff' was fitted to the car, when I turn the drivers side wheel in a clockwise direction the passenger side front wheel would turn in a clockwise direction as well. The wheels would turn in oppositte directions.

But, when I turned the drivers side front wheel the passengers side front wheel didn't move at all, as if there was no diff' fitted at all? :puzzled:

Anyone got any idea's?

Paul.

·
ECMC Addict
801 Posts
Paul, I'm no tekky so could be wrong, but when you did yr test at home i assume yr engine was off. Most of the gadgetry these days ASC/DSC etc are electronic so would be inoperative with the engine off ?? Hence the two wheel operating independantly.
Why not give yr local stealers service dept a call or jon at Modnmini or Paul1320 to check the theory out ?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The Diff's mechanical, but it's torque biased with a 30% split. Not sure whether your theory works when car on axle stands.

As stated above, maybe better to check with someone like Roland or 1320 auto's, Lohen etc.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The other question is, are you sure it was just the inside wheel spinning up !.

·
Registered
40 Posts
thewalshter

To check you need to jack one side up only on the front , if no lsd or lsd inop the jacked up wheel will spin freely clockwise. If lsd fitted and working, when the jacked up wheel is spun clockwise by hand you should feel slight resistance.The amount or resistance varies on the diff settings.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To check you need to jack one side up only on the front , if no lsd or lsd inop the jacked up wheel will spin freely clockwise. If lsd fitted and working, when the jacked up wheel is spun clockwise by hand you should feel slight resistance.The amount or resistance varies on the diff settings.
Does it matter which side of the car I jack up and spin the wheel clockwise?

P.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other question is, are you sure it was just the inside wheel spinning up !.
I think so, I didn't occur to me that both front wheels could be spinning? Although it was really wet here yesterday, not the best conditions to road test my new Alta 22mm anti roll bar! :biggrin:

P.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No this should apply to both sides n/s/f and o/s/f
I've just jacked up the passenger's side of the car and spun the front wheel vigorously in a clockwise direction. I can hear a slight metallic noise from the disk pads, but there is no feel of resistance.

I'm now starting to wonder if a LSD was fitted when the car was built? I don't want to go back to the dealer with this untill I'm 100% sure. But how can I find out?

P.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Have I got LSD?

If you definitely specified LSD and suspect it was not fitted, then your Dealer should be able to provide the answer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts