MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On 13 March 2004 I ordered my MCS. I ticked the DSC, xenons and climate control options boxes. (Australian market cars already came with MFSW and interior light package.) I stuck with 16" X-lites as I was later to sort some aftermarket 17" wheels, which turned out to be R90 replicas.

Some 105 days later my MINI was delivered. I picked it up at about 5pm Friday and had completed around 800kms by Sunday evening. I was in love! But, just 20 days after taking delivery I hit a kangaroo and had to go without my MINI for a further 7 1/2 weeks. Fortunately the damage was relatively minor, it was just the time it took to repair that was a major PITA.

Anyway, that's all in the past now, and today, 23 December 2004, I clocked my 10,000th kilometre. So what better way the to take my MINI, Little Blue, for a drive through some tastey twisties!

:D :indi: :D

:)

It was 32°C in Canberra today and this was the first time I had taken my car for a fang in such heat. Boy, could you notice the difference too. Poor baby was quite sluggish. Worse, with the heat, comes bugs!

:eek:

:(

These were accumulated in just 180kms of driving. For those that know Canberra I started in the city and went towards the Cotter via Mt Stromlo. Then on to Tharwa (no Brindabella Road today). From Tharwa I headed to Adaminaby and went as far as I could before the road surface changes to gravel, about 25kms past Tharwa.

On the way home I took the same route and at about 4:45pm I drove past the turn off to Tidbinbilla Deep Space Tracking Station (pretty much NASA's eyes in the southern hemisphere). Well, 4:30pm must be knock off time and the company car of choice for Tidbinbilla staff? Toyota Camry. Between Tharwa and Tidbinbilla I must have seen about 15 of the buggers. Yikes! It was like a massive Toyota Camry GTG. Haha. After Tidbinbilla I passed two other Camrys and caught two more by the time I reached the city limits again. It was like some weird kind of parallel universe where every road user had had a lobotomy.

Pleased to report I made it home safely and am just about to head off to my local car wash to spray those damn bugs off.

:)

:indi:

Cheers Liam

·
-Mr T-
1,818 Posts
10K k's! Good on ya mate. I hate it when I get bugs like that on my bike....At least you can wash 'em off. I have to clean my helmet, jacket boots etc as well as the bike...

You'd have probably reached the 10K a lot earlier if not for the roo. There's a lot of roos down in Canberra and I always see a few as roadkill every time I go down there... they're usually bigguns too...

I expect to have 10,000Km on my car by September, 05.. ;-)

·
Were there Oompa loompas?
4,146 Posts
My Dad's due to start harvesting his wheat in early Jan so we would really appreciate you doing a few more drives out there to collect some more lotus's [sic :D :p ] so they don't end up eating his crop

:D :D :D

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
You are going to spray the bugs off? Looks more like you will need an angle grinder to get
that lot off .. yuk. Nice shots of the road, looks ideal Mini grin territory. Also a nice shot of
those gorgeous alloys :D .

·
Were there Oompa loompas?
4,146 Posts
I spent hours cleaning my car the other day, even waxed the alloys, only to have it looking like Liam’s after a couple of trips into town :mad:.

The funniest thing is how the top of half of the car is still fairly bug free but the bottom is total carnage. By the time the grass hoppers react to a Mini barrelling down on them at 100+km/h, they only manage to jump just high enough to hit the bottom 2 feet of the car. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.