MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there.

I'm getting into this a bit late, I know, but I've gotten caught in mini-mania just the same. I was excited about this car when I first heard of its european introduction, and then it sort of just snuck up on me here in America. I found the sites, read the forums, put my name on the dealer lists for a Cooper S, and sat in the car at the LA Autoshow; and I'm sold.

I've now started a 'mini fund' in a seperate savings account, and I'm just waiting for my turn on the list. Until then, I've begun investigating the car's many options; and I've got some questions some of you could perhaps help me with.

Below are some of the options I'm considering, along with questions I have. If you could offer any input, whether personal opinion or researched information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Dynamic Stability Control - $500 US -

Bonnet Stripes - $80 US - I want that 'Rally Car' feel, and it ties in the roof/mirror color so well.

Alloy Wheels / 17" S-Lite - For Asthetic Purposes as much as Performance. Is the S-Lite the Spoke Design? Are there several 17" models available?

Panoramic Sunroof - $800 US - Bit Pricey, but I live in California, so... :) How does this look on the white roof, I'm still not certain.

Fog Lamps - $140 US - Are these the two lamps down low, below the bumper and spread wide? If so, which option includes the two I see in the brochure, close together and at 'grill level'? I think those really help emphasize the 'rally car' image.

Xenon Lights - $500 US - Sharp looking.

Automatic Air Conditioning - $300 US - The Cooper comes with AC standard right? So what is this upgrade? Climate Control?

Navigation System - $1600 US - A fun toy, and possibly useful. Certainly not worth 1600 dollars to me, but if it's included in the Premium Upgrade, perhaps. It's placed in the center console, so where does the Big Neat Spedometer get moved to?

8 Speaker Harman Kardon Sound System w/ DSP - $550 US - I plan on putting a respectable system in, and this sounds like a good starting point. I have a Sony Changer I'm about to put in my current car, I'm holding off so far. Will I be able to hook up my Sony Changer to this system? How about an amp and bass tube in the trunk? What is DSP?

Metallic Paint - $400 US - This is pretty much all the better colors, isnt it?

So those are the options I'm considering right now. The Sports Package for sure, and possibly the Premium Package too. Any information or opinions you have on these or other options is very very helpful. :)

I too was drawn to the Dark Silver / Black at first, it just looks classy. However, another fellow in the building is planning on purchasing that scheme; and I'm leaning towards the 'more fun' schemes of 1. Light Silver w/ White 2. BRG w/ White or 3. Indigo w/ White (all with white bonnet stripes). My color of choice between these three always seems to coincide with the last picture I've seen, they all look that great!

Well I appreciate all the information and help. I've got a long wait ahead of me yet, as I only got in on the different lists last December, and the Cooper S is a ways off yet... but I'm excited nonetheless.

Good day!

sixfoot6

btw, yeah, I'm 6 feet 6 inches tall. I jumped into the Coopers at the AutoShow, all my hopes on the line as far as fitting. I reached under the seat, pulled the adjustment lever, and back I went. Far far back, much to my suprise... There's more than enough leg, elbow, and head room. Whew. :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
sixfoot6 said:
8 Speaker Harman Kardon Sound System w/ DSP - $550 US - I plan on putting a respectable system in, and this sounds like a good starting point. I have a Sony Changer I'm about to put in my current car, I'm holding off so far. Will I be able to hook up my Sony Changer to this system? How about an amp and bass tube in the trunk? What is DSP?
sixfoot6. If you plan on putting in your own system the H/K option is the last thing you want to do. To install your own head unit would more than likely involve disconnecting the H/K amp from all the speakers and installing your own.

You could fit a CD changer to it (not sure if it has to be BMW), but if you intend to add your own amp and bass tube I suggest you stick with the base stereo and use the money you save on your upgrades.

DSP is Digital Sound Processor. One of those things that gives you "Concert Hall" and "Rock" settings.

I myself intend to pay for the H/K system and keep it. Your $550 gets you an amp and better speakers. But the true value of it will be more because you can minus the cost of the original speakers and you're still paying for a head unit. I reckon you would have to spend well over $1500 on after-market kit to get anything like the quality. And it comes fully fitted!

Hope this helps.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts

Alloy Wheels / 17" S-Lite - For Asthetic Purposes as much as Performance. Is the S-Lite the Spoke Design? Are there several 17" models available?
There is also the 17" R90 cross-spoke wheels. Do a search (titles only) on f.a.q. to find the FAQ on factory wheels for pictures of all wheels.

Panoramic Sunroof - $800 US - Bit Pricey, but I live in California, so... :) How does this look on the white roof, I'm still not certain.
[click thumbnail to supersize]

I don't care for it, but what's important is how it looks to you.

Automatic Air Conditioning - $300 US - The Cooper comes with AC standard right? So what is this upgrade? Climate Control?
Manual air-conditioning is standard ... for $300 more you get climate control.

Navigation System - $1600 US - A fun toy, and possibly useful. Certainly not worth 1600 dollars to me, but if it's included in the Premium Upgrade, perhaps. It's placed in the center console, so where does the Big Neat Spedometer get moved to?
The Navigation system is not part of the Premium Package ... you're probably confusing it with the four function (outside temperature, average speed since last reset, MPG since last reset, miles left before gas required) on-board computer. You lose the center-pod speedo with the Navigation system ... a small speedo is mounted next to the tach on steering columm.

[click thumbnail to supersize]

Metallic Paint - $400 US - This is pretty much all the better colors, isnt it?
Non-metallic are Solid Black, Chili Red, Liquid Yellow and (later) Pepper White.

I'm leaning towards the 'more fun' schemes of 1. Light Silver w/ White 2. BRG w/ White or 3. Indigo w/ White (all with white bonnet stripes). My color of choice between these three always seems to coincide with the last picture I've seen, they all look that great!
Don't think I've ever seen a picture of Pure Silver with a white top ... don't think it will look very good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts