MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested to know how easy a black MINI is to live with ? I have ordered black, but am swayed by yellow due to concerns over the ease of keeping a black car clean.
So any advice on black would be much appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
One black and white at work gets just as mucky as my yellow and black. Not much in it really - having the areodynamics of a brick doesn't really help keep them clean.

·
Registered
261 Posts
smartbomb said:
I'm interested to know how easy a black MINI is to live with ? I have ordered black, but am swayed by yellow due to concerns over the ease of keeping a black car clean.
So any advice on black would be much appreciated, thanks.
Years ago, I used to detail cars. Any black car was a pain in the neck to keep clean. Black looks very good on a MINI, but it is a high maintanence thing. Add in white wheels, and a light colored interior. Better invest in a garage and an understanding girlfriend if you want to keep it looking it's best. You will be spending your weekends, cleaning. Although, I must say that the Cosmos Black, actually hides dirt pretty well. I guess that's because it is not a "true" black.
Good luck! :D

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recall my brother owning a black car and recall how much agro it was to clean. Polishing the thing was a nightmare !
I'm still undecided on black, when I think of the hassle I think no, but when I see one I love it !
Very tempted to opt for yellow and white still, although silk green IMHO looks very classy.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would order the silk green, myself, but it's not available in the Cooper S. I'm opting for the Dark Grey with some sort of dark interior for mine. I'm still a little undecided.

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have only seen 2 silk greens. One with black roof which looked yukky, and one with white roof which looked fabulous. The pale colour really set off the chrome and the white added a certain jewel like quality.
I'd like to see another or more pics of silk green and whit e before I finally decide. But may opt for yellow as I love it and it'll be cheaper.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Re: Re: Living with a black Cooper

Spoolin' said:

.....Better invest in a garage and an understanding girlfriend if you want to keep it looking it's best...
Hmmm... I might just consider a Black MINI if an understanding girlfriend is part of the mix. Does my wife need to know? :p

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is very understanding, but don't think that covers a weekly car wash. A mistress perhaps ?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I love it when my mistress washes me! erm...wait a minute!
:D

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think we are wandering off the topic somewhat !?
Please keep your personal obltuionary habits to yourself !
So come on black....! or yellow ....!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Our Cooper is Cosmos black with a white roof and wheels. It is not to bad to keep clean but the wheels get really dirty so they need cleaning every week.

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Amadeus,
Any chance of some pics ? I have ordered black, am tempted to stick with it but may go for yellow. Going for white wheels and roof with either colour.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
My colleagues Black and White Cooper is used on a similar run to work as my Yellow ONE and over a similar period of time the Black ends up looking far worse than the Yellow IMO.

I think it's more to do with the cheery quality of the Yellow more than anything else. When you look at the Yellow, you see the colour, then the dirt - with the Black you see the black, then more black dirt. To me it just makes a good car look shabby..:(

Go for Yellow! (of course I'm biased here..;))

Just to confuse you even more, I saw a Green/Black Cooper for the 1st time in the flesh the other day and thought it looked pretty striking - I can't imagine it with a white roof though. For me, lighter coloured cars (like yellow and green) are diluted by the white roof and it loses that extra bit of 'oomph'. As the car drove past a passer-by was also heard to say "it looks like a hair-dressers car" (but then he did look like a bit of a thug)..:)

decisions, decisions...

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the pic...
The black looks great clean and mean when it's dirty. Yellow makes it look totally different IMHO. Black has an air of menace about it, and the 2 black ones that I see often are always dirty but stil manage to look dead cool.
The yellow is a much 'happier' colour and is a lot less serious than black.
My concern is that black is a pain to keep clean, to polish would be a nightmare ?
They yellow and white roof comb has a great sense of fun about it ....annoyingly I have only seen one in this combo....would like to have a good look at this combo before finally deciding.
But black...I could have the red interior....

·
Registered
330 Posts
smartbomb said:
My concern is that black is a pain to keep clean, to polish would be a nightmare ?
My Cooper is yellow and black (sorry, got to agree with Dogger about the white roof). Polishing the roof is a doddle. Polishing the body is a nightmare - polish is simply invisible.

If you're giving to regularly polishing your car, go for black. Personally I like having a ready excuse for not polishing it :D .

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Its hard keeping any car clean at the moment with all the salt on the roads. Driving down the M4 yesterday you couldnt see some cars number plates because they were just caked in grime. All though this is against the law it might stop the speed cameras catching you :D :D

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I think I have finally decided. Went and had a look at the black Cooper up the road and reckon it ain't for me.
I rarely polish my car (twice a year is enough) but wash it failry regularly. I'm cocerned that black will be a nightmare to live with, and have been disuaded from black by someone who has owned more cars than I've had hot dinners ! So todays vote is going to the yellow camp (no pun intended!), as I don't have the patience for black.
Oh BTW saw a silver/black Cooper too...mighty fine looking driver..!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Black Cooper

Smartbomb, have had my Cooper since mid November and would have to agree that at the moment it's pointless trying to keep any car clean, but when my car is clean I think it looks great plus Spring is round the corner, the roads won't be as dirty and the car will stay cleaner for longer.

I have posted pictures in my gallery if you want to look, but they only seem to display in thumbnail when clicked - anyone any ideas how to get them to display properly?

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have seen your pics ! great car ! and I'm having the same problem as well, my pics don't enlarge when clicked on.
Yeah it's the worst time of year to keep any colur clean, good point. I'm just not 100% certain on going for black, but I'm 99% on the yellow.
No doubt I'll keep changing my mind, the black does look the biz tho...and that red interior...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts