MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

thought I would drop in and say hi with a video from a trackday at Llandow circuit in Wales this weekend. The MCS is my daily driver and the S2000 my weekend/track toy. I wanted to know if the Mini was as much fun on track as it is on the road and also to test it at the limit.

The Forum wont let me post (I need 5 posts!) the Youtube video of the best laps from the day, a laps few with me in the S2000 following the Cooper S, with my Dad at the wheel, through some big puddles. Then a couple of laps with me at the wheel of the Mini chasing a 140ish bhp 7 a like, and finally some wingcam from the S2000 following the Cooper showing just how wet it was.

Find the Video on Youtube - Llandow Cooper S & S2000 (maybe a kind Mod would be able to add the link, thanks)

For me the Cooper S is the perfect day-to-day car. Fast and chuckable enough to be fun, easy on unleaded, low tax band and great mid range for A-road overtaking. I wanted to know how it would do on track? The only upgrades on this car are the JCW sport suspension and LSD. I have read that people think the Sport suspension is too stiff, for me it's just right.

The on road fun carried over directly to the track, there is something about the Mini that just makes me grin every time I drive it. After the S2000 it did feel a little underpowered but equally it makes the most of the power it has got. Lapping in around 54s (just 2s slower than the S) it puts on an impressive show. Through the bus stop (shaped how it sounds) it was possible to make the centre section one corner with the back sliding neutrally to follow the grip at the front wheels. The fast ‘glue-pot’ corner allows full power at the apex, then wait, wait for grip as the front wheels try to contain the torque from the turbo. Only 6K revs are really needed, the engine gets wheezy toward the red line. On the back straight top speed is about 92 mph (Vs the S at 96) and on the main straight 94mph (S 98-100) but much less in it than I had thought.

The Dynamic Stability Control in the Mini really works, allowing some playfulness before intervening. In the glue pot it meant I could keep the throttle pinned to the floor and let the electronics decide how much power the front wheels could cope with. Chasing the 7 in the video we did have a DSC disco in the faster corners. The Sport button is also a great addition, really adding to the experience. Sport mode requires more delicate use of the throttle in the wet but did give the extra legs required to finally get past the 7 and leave him behind in a lap or 2.

At 19mpg even track fuel consumption is reasonable. The sound track is the only real let down, there is some burble but it is so muted in the cabin (a good thing for everyday) that its lost. I would seriously consider a new JCW as a trackday toy.

So hello again and I look forward to finding out more about all things Mini on the site,

Mark

·
Cleaning Whore
356 Posts
i live about 5 min from this track, looks very wet out there. i love the track. really fun, Nice mini and welcome to mini2 =]

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
So is this the R53 (Supercharged 2002-2006) or the R56 (Turbocharged 2006 on)? I can't tell for the music :eek:

Looks v. wet, nice one scalping the 7 too!! I'll have to send that one to my dad hehe, although in fairness he did very, very well to keep that pointing the right way in that weather! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So is this the R53 (Supercharged 2002-2006) or the R56 (Turbocharged 2006 on)? I can't tell for the music :eek:

Looks v. wet, nice one scalping the 7 too!! I'll have to send that one to my dad hehe, although in fairness he did very, very well to keep that pointing the right way in that weather! :D
Thanks for posting up the Video!

It's an R56 - the sound quality was poor due to the weather conditions(hence the addition of the music) - the little GoPro Cameras are fully waterproof which reduces the audio, but helpful when I hang them outside the car!

Yeah chasing the 7's is always fun, I think they were a little surprised by the Mini's turn of pace, great fun car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts