MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon the dumb question but an answer is needed. My Cooper needs new boots as M. Brundle would say. Two independant tyre suppliers have said that they will not fit tyres to MCs or MCS are they are scared witless of damaging the in-wheel sensors.

My understanding is that the ABS sensors are used to sense the state of flatness of the run flat tyres and that the sensors are certainly NOT within the wheels themselves. The concern of the tyre fitters would therefore be totally unfounded.

Please reassure me that I am correct. Your help will be appreciated.

minifrog. :red:

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
Interesting...

Where are have you been for info?

I'd have a chat to Peck & Stokes to see what they can do as they offered me a reasonable deal on 17" runflats... if not I'd go to see Bellarine Tyre Service on Bellarine Street in Geelong, they do Michelin and have access to heaps of other good brands...

I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing, they once fitted tyres to my 2002 in about 15mins... great service!!

OR go out to Lewis Tyre service (I think) in the wedge opposite Kmart as you go over the bridge towards Belmont from Geelong... they seemed helpful with my discussions I in the past.

Those guys do Dunlop and Pirelli from memory??

Todd

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
and you're right about the fears of the tyre places being totally unfounded - the runflat alarm works from the rolling ardius of the tyres, which is worked out from the ABS sensors located in the hubs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts