MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MINI2 Oldie
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and not even in the Pub.

I was locked in the MINI at a petrol station, I was very low on fuel and couldn't just drive off for help. I had to get out and fill up.

It was the first really frosty morning since I got my Cooper, I had to scrape off the ice and then drive about 1/2 mile to the nearest filing station. On arrival I could not get out - the doors (both drivers and passenger) were locked shut. I could wind down the window and try to open from the outside, but to no avail. A man at the next pump came over to help, with me still stuck inside - no luck.

I definately hadn't operated the central locking 'zombie' switch. After all sorts of attempts to unlock, using the key outside and the remote, I was just contemplating climbing out the window when I got the passenger door open. But still the driver's door could not be opened.

I filled up with petrol and got back in the passenger's side.

The drivers door eventually opened when I had driven another ten miles.

It could have been the frost/cold affecting the door locking mechanism.

It hasn't happened since, although there have been equally cold mornings (about -1C).

Has anyone else suffered from this problem?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Locked Out

I've had a MINI One as a courtesy car over the last three days. About four times the central locking didn't work properly - I'd ping the car with the remote, the door lock would pop up, but when I went to open the door with the handle, it reacted like the door was locked.

Couple of times I had to climb into the car passenger door, and try and open the vehicle from the inside...

·
MINI2 Oldie
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Re: Yeeeeeeeeeee-Haw!

alansingfield said:
New MINI to star in Dukes of Hazzard 2001!
Although my MINI is well suited as General Lee, unfortunately I won't be starring unless they need a new Boss Hogg - hence my reluctance ".. to climb out the window .."

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mini Man said:
and not even in the Pub.

I was locked in the MINI at a petrol station, I was very low on fuel and couldn't just drive off for help. I had to get out and fill up.

It was the first really frosty morning since I got my Cooper, ...

I definately hadn't operated the central locking 'zombie' switch...

It could have been the frost/cold affecting the door locking mechanism.

Has anyone else suffered from this problem?
Yep, I got locked in today. Wet day, about 11 degrees C.

I used the central locking switch and then I could not get out of the drivers door. It would not release either through the switch or the handle.

I had to open the window and use the outside door handle.

Any thoughts on whether this is an electrical problem due to moisture penetrating the electrics?

sigh...:(

·
Registered
577 Posts
Apparently the locks are electric and don't always release even when the button is up. Iceman could probably shed some light on this, but it appears he was taken to the woodshed for posting here as I haven't seen anything from him for some time. The door handles are also electric since they have to drop the electric window a half inch to clear the moulding at the top of the door frame. This could be a dangerous fault. What if you were rear-ended, fuel tank ruptured and fire broke out, and you were trapped in the car? A relative of mine had an accident on an icy road, ended up hitting a power pole in a snowbank. The doors were jammed shut from the snow. The accident severed the battery connection and he couldn't roll the electric windows down to get out. That is one reason why I prefer mechanically operated windows and door locks.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks guys - you're really putting my claustrophobic tendencies to bed here ;)
Mental note - pop down the local auto-store and pick up a life-hammer (Hammer with pointed glass-breaking tool and knife to cut seatbelts)...
Yeah, i've heard of people getting toasted in fibreglass/plastic cars when the doors melt... Thankfully BMW stuck to metal door skins.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts