MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tigergreen
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After just two weeks I have a screw in my front tyre...."swear words". I am told that this is either a £10 puncture fix or a £150 new Dunlop SP9000 run flat tyre depending on how deep the screw has penetrated.

I want to get a second opinion on the position as the tyre has not lost any pressure so I am hoping for the £10 fix. However, on searching for the locking wheel nut key in the black satchel containing the jack it was not there. I phoned Mini Breakdown who said they did not think it was included and only the dealer had the key to my surprise as surely I have a right not to use BMW if I want to take my wheel off.

I am on the phone to my dealer tomorrow to make sure I have a copy key,but wondering if anyone else with a MCSC or run flat tyres has not got the locking wheel nut key.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bought separately... came with 2 keys.

Mine did not come with locking lugnuts. I had to purchase them separately :( . And I even purchased a second set of wheels... but hey what's another $30 bucks.

The Mini locks I purchased came with 2 keys in the sealed package, so you should have gotten them. In any case, you should be able to get at least one with the same pattern from the dealer.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Happened to me too...

3 days after I got my 2005 MCSC, I was driving with the top down and heard a "click click click" from the rear wheel...I parked the car and there was a machine screw sticking into the tire.

I went to pull it out and the "head" broke off in my hand, leaving the "shaft" of the screw flush with the rubber (in the grove between treads). I was waiting for the run flat sensor to go off shortly after that and it never has.

I've been diligent about looking at the air pressures and that tire's not losing any air at all compared with the others. So I've just let it be and haven't had any problems, that was 60 days ago.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The wheel nut key is not with the jack. It is in a little tool kit behind the left hand rear panel in the boot.

·
Tigergreen
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found The Locking Wheel Nut Key!

hurrens said:
The wheel nut key is not with the jack. It is in a little tool kit behind the left hand rear panel in the boot.
Thanks for the tip, but I actually found it hidden wedged next to the battery in the boot. It was to my defence really easy to miss and presume it was part of the battery casing, particularly as the tool kit is actually a very small black polystyrene box which I was not expecting.

Worthwhile checking this in your boot to save the running around which I have undergone as it is not clear in the manual nor is the key in the logical place ie. with the jack/wheel nut spanner.

Will find out on Monday if it is a £10 or £150 fix.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You should think about changing the locking wheel nuts for a better type like McGuards. The BMW one is hopeless - too easy to remove.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Locking Wheel Nuts

When my One was stolen last year they nicked the tray from the boot containing the tools, compressor, locking wheel nut etc. Got another nut from my dealer for the sum of about £3.50. Just in case you can't find it.............

1 - 7 of 7 Posts