MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

i'm looking for a little performance improvement for my wife's '03 cooper s. i'm looking at either:

- Lohen LCS1 (~210bhp) - 580 GBP including pulley tool
- Minispeed Stage 2 (~215bhp) - 820 GBP.

the difference is 240 quid in favour of Lohen which would more than pay for the Alta intake that appears to be the main difference.

what am i missing? is there any reason the minispeed would be better (other than the approx 5bhp improvement)?

thanks.

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Avoid the Bluefin remap (I know both MiniSpeed and Lohen plug them in their conversions), one guy had this done at MiniSpeed ended up with a very lean running car which was on the point of detonation (he then ended up spending over £600 to stop it blowing up and got nowhere with minispeed) Imo avoid MiniSpeed, they were ok for my pulle... but thats it. Your better off doing your research and spending your money more wisely.

Do a search dude, there is so much info on this site...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. do you mean avoid the stock superchips map? it seems both lohen and minispeed supply their own custom maps with the kit. how else would you get optimal fuel/ignition after the boost change? take it for a custom re-map?

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
If you're based in Cambridge look up a company called 1320 autos - they're over in St Neots, so not far, and whilst they're not currently a sponsor on here (used to be) they will advise you well.

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Yes. The only way to get a decent map is go the Custom route. Superchips "Custom" is not a recommended route, theres a dyno sheet somewhere that compares stock map to the SC map the stock one had more power low down and the SC one had more top end but only because of a higher rev limit! :rolleyes:

If you need anymore reasons why I advise against it I sugest you read this...
The MiniSpeed experience!

It's your car and your choice though, i spent £1670 and got a proven 235bhp without a remap which included the pricey JCW exhaust (not the best for power but its personal perference ;) ). When I have the funds I'm getting a proper live tuned custom remap for £350 ish from 1320Autos, specific to my car, its mods and where I want the power. :cool:

My mods were selected based on my budget advised by 1320 :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks for the info. i'll definitely check out 1320. i'm thinking about 200bhp with a higher rev limit and more torque throughout if possible would be fine. whats would be a recommended solution? 15% pulley, cool plugs and new intake? seems strange to me that this would be fine without a remap though as the effective compression will be higher. in which case the cost of a custom remap will send the price well over the lohen kit.

i have no interest in creating a monster, as i have other toys with far more (non electronic) stallions. i'm just hoping to get a bit more guts out of it on the way to the supermarket :)

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
I'd just stick to a pulley, plugs and a filter element (or JCW airbox if funds allow) :D

The stock map will be able to cope with that, and then perhaps save for a custom map at some point in the future ;)

The stock map is actually pretty flexible, some people have been known to achieve fairly high numbers without changing it :eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds good!

then i think i'll go for the following bits from lohen:
- 15% alta 2.0 pulley and belt
- tool to grip the pulley for removal
- denso Iridium plugs
- pipercross filter element

total 282 quid! thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
hi odl21

Have you looked at GTT tuning they do a 210bhp conversion for 695+vat fitted.
Roland and John are both top guys and would do a great job, and no need for a map would be fine on the standard bmw map. Give roland a ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jayman

·
Registered
514 Posts
Also do not forget about ThinkMINI, based in Worchester, they are vendor independant but are authorised to sell and install GTT products.

Cheers

Perm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts