MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My S is an October 2017 build and March 2018 registration so does that make it Gen 3? When it is out of warranty seriously considering the Lohen Stage 2 upgrade for a significant increase in bph and torque but will the S design and mechanics take it? Anybody have any experience with Lohen?
Also anybody know if you can change the mpg setting after topping up with fuel? Struggling to find this in the manual. Many Thanks.

·
Registered
995 Posts
2.0l petrol will be gen 3, Yes.

Don't know what stage 2 you want but Manic Motorsport has gone, so it won't be the Manic Motorsport stage 2 it'll be others. Looks like it'll be superchips if at Lohen. You might be better off with a proper custom tune.

To reset MPG? Is usually to hold down a button where the MPG you want to reset. Should be something on YouTube.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My S is an October 2017 build and March 2018 registration so does that make it Gen 3? When it is out of warranty seriously considering the Lohen Stage 2 upgrade for a significant increase in bph and torque but will the S design and mechanics take it? Anybody have any experience with Lohen?
Also anybody know if you can change the mpg setting after topping up with fuel? Struggling to find this in the manual. Many Thanks.
just to give you some insight into it, my 2016 cooper S just had a stage one remap, said to be 260 bhp, i had it dynod at Mtech in Wiltshire : http://mtechautomotive.co.uk

it produced 245 BHP at the wheel, but more significantly it was producing something like 400 nm of torque as well, if you have aheavy foot thats going to lunch on the clutch, I am planning to have the JCW clutch fitted when mine starts to go, but i have onlt just hit 21k so hoping theres life in it,

also if your just after JCW type speed, trust me 245 BHP is insane and i doubt i will be wanting more, i might go for an after market air filter and something on the exhaust, but not sure i need any/many more horses!

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
245bhp at wheels would be 260bhpish at flywheel ironically the Peugeot rcz is 269bhp out the box and the latest hot 308gti is right up there as well, one day we will get one in and work out how they get that factory, and more to the point how to get 300bhp or more from them without going bang lol. this all said a front wheel drive car with over 250bhp is borderline a death trap, moving the 02 sensors and decat and then map for pops and bangs and flames out exhaust is a giggle lol

·
Registered
995 Posts
just to give you some insight into it, my 2016 cooper S just had a stage one remap, said to be 260 bhp, i had it dynod at Mtech in Wiltshire : http://mtechautomotive.co.uk

it produced 245 BHP at the wheel, but more significantly it was producing something like 400 nm of torque as well, if you have aheavy foot thats going to lunch on the clutch, I am planning to have the JCW clutch fitted when mine starts to go, but i have onlt just hit 21k so hoping theres life in it,

also if your just after JCW type speed, trust me 245 BHP is insane and i doubt i will be wanting more, i might go for an after market air filter and something on the exhaust, but not sure i need any/many more horses!
If you're making something like 400 N m+ of torque, you'll most likely need something better than the JCW clutch kit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you're making something like 400 N m+ of torque, you'll most likely need something better than the JCW clutch kit.
oh ok any suggestions ?
Doesn’t the latest JCW produce 230 bhp wouldn’t that clutch handle anything around what mines producing !

·
Registered
995 Posts
If yours is making 245 whp then I would expect the torque to be higher than 400 N m.

The JCW make max 320Nm.

For the 3rd gen Helix Autosport Clutch Kit for F56 MINI.

I got recommended the Helix Autosport Clutch Kit for R56 MINI.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If yours is making 245 whp then I would expect the torque to be higher than 400 N m.

The JCW make max 320Nm.

For the 3rd gen Helix Autosport Clutch Kit for F56 MINI.

I got recommended the Helix Autosport Clutch Kit for R56 MINI.
yeah i was just going off the top of my head when i posted think the actual figure was 440nm hwich the guy that did my map told me when i did the rolling road, see below

thanks for the heads up on the Clutch, thought that was steep for a clutch on 1st look, but see it includes a lightened fly wheel, any ideas on rough cost to get one changed out ?

·
Registered
995 Posts
I've just made an order for the Helix 6 paddle for the R56 and not had it fitted yet, but I've read it's almost a days worth of labour upto ~8hrs.

You can ask your garage/tuner what they recommend for the clutch kit.

If you're thinking of doing the clutch kit, might be worth also consider adding a Quaife LSD to save on labour costs, if the F56 still uses open diff.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've just made an order for the Helix 6 paddle for the R56 and not had it fitted yet, but I've read it's almost a days worth of labour upto ~8hrs.

You can ask your garage/tuner what they recommend for the clutch kit.

If you're thinking of doing the clutch kit, might be worth also consider adding a Quaife LSD to save on labour costs, if the F56 still uses open diff.
ive spent most the morning looking at options, i read on mini torque that the helix with paddles can be hard going on day to day driving, but guess your about to find out ! the organic option seems the best for me, and think your right re the LSD option, Lohen do a package,

my problem is theres so f^&ing much to upgrade, id need best part of 5K to get it all done, looking at clutch/LSD then theres the intercooler and air filter, then possibly sport cat exhaust, then theres the JCW brake upgrade with additional cost of JCW wheels 2nd hand!!!

im up for all of the above, but its going to have to be as and when, considering ive only done 20k on the current (from new) clutch think thats going to wait, prob get the intercooler done 1st, whilst sourcing 2nd hand brakes n wheels, then find the funds for the clutch etc,

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
the factory n18 engine is fairly strong will handle some big power increases done correctly, might save a few quid on forging the motor if have a healthy factory one thats my plan next fond a clubman cooper s n18 and see what we can get from it at some point, just see so many forged engines with oil burning issues after 10k. where factory cars seem to behave better

·
Registered
60th Anniversary 5 door hatch
9 Posts

• My S is an October 2017 build and March 2018 registration so does that make it Gen 3? When it is out of warranty seriously considering the Lohen Stage 2 upgrade for a significant increase in bph and torque but will the S design and mechanics take it? Anybody have any experience with Lohen?
    I dare say this is the sort of thing Andy is referring to.
Mod packages.

I understand where Andy is coming from, it's one thing having the engine worked on, but you also want to be able to stop and corner better.

Then you start thinking a JCW is a better platform for this sort of thing as much of the work was done at the factory.

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very useful feedback guys. I am going to look at both options but am leaning towards part exchanging my S for a JCW.

·
Registered
60th Anniversary 5 door hatch
9 Posts
It depends on the differences between the two cars and what needs changing. I wonder if the brakes of the S are up to stopping the car with the extra HP or KW's.

Will the life of the S engine be as long as the JCW engine?

Then there is suspension. I think the DSG gearbox is different too. I'm not sure about the manual box.

Wheel size might be a factor too, JCW has 18" wheels with the S having 16" wheels. Though I'm not sure that is such a big deal.

I actually question why there are three models prior to hitting the JCW range.

Regards

Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts