MINI Cooper Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Jesus, that’s bad. You’d think you would have some recompense against the seller. Shows you that you’re on your own vs unscrupulous sellers
I didn't do the basic checks on it, checking the VIN and engine number would have shown it was a ringer as they had both been obliterated, but being less experienced at the time I assumed buying from a dealer would protect me in the event that anything was not as it appeared to be.
Trading standards were only interested if the car (a Golf GTi) was not a Golf GTi. Well, it looked like one,but what was it?
The police weren't interested that a dealer was knocking out ringers but said it was pretty much my fault for failing to check the identity of the car properly and if they could identify what car it really was they would seize it.
With advice and help like this, I thought 'sod it', ran it for a while and learnt a lesson.
I have since treated any car salesman with the same suspicion as I would anybody else.

Lesson learned, the next GTi I looked at was from a driveway trader with low miles - turned out to be clocked when I checked with the previous keeper and the one I looked at after that from another trader, when I checked had been written-off despite him saying it was clear.

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
I didn't do the basic checks on it, checking the VIN and engine number would have shown it was a ringer as they had both been obliterated, but being less experienced at the time I assumed buying from a dealer would protect me in the event that anything was not as it appeared to be.
Trading standards were only interested if the car (a Golf GTi) was not a Golf GTi. Well, it looked like one,but what was it?
The police weren't interested that a dealer was knocking out ringers but said it was pretty much my fault for failing to check the identity of the car properly and if they could identify what car it really was they would seize it.
With advice and help like this, I thought 'sod it', ran it for a while and learnt a lesson.
I have since treated any car salesman with the same suspicion as I would anybody else.

Lesson learned, the next GTi I looked at was from a driveway trader with low miles - turned out to be clocked when I checked with the previous keeper and the one I looked at after that from another trader, when I checked had been written-off despite him saying it was clear.
I use hpi online link below well worth the few quid to check for finance or any other markers, when I'm searching for a car out of 10 I check 3 at least turn out to be on register or still belong to a lender etc, nothing worse than paying a few grand for a car, to get a collection agent on your doorstep who removes it and loose all your money on it,, as the police see it as civil and not criminal, personally I see it as personal when some idiot thinks its fine to try and steal off me,
Total Car Check - The lowest cost car check in the UK!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to hear this ! I’m in the same situation.
If possible we all need to join up together and get this sorted out! I am
In the process of taking him to court !
we all need to join together and get our money back . Please respond if you would like to work together. Thanks
Im trying to take him to court too - we need to all support each other and get a judge to take this seriously.

if you want to support this and band together reply here: [email protected]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone,
We bought a supercharged R52 (2008) from London Mini owned by Charles Sinclair in Hampton London. Right from the start there were issues and not put off we accepted the fact the SWC didn’t work and it seemed to be running a little hot (though within limits). Anyway, my partner was driving and the car overheated. No obvious coolant leak so had it taken to BMW. The diagnosis showed first stage cooling fan wasn’t working and pressure test revealed blown head gasket (at least). BMW said the fan had probably not been functioning for some time
We have had the car since late October and though the 3 month warranty has just passed expected the dealer to make it right. He won’t do that and wants to share the expense. Off to court we go!!
I should have trusted my gut and not had anything to do with this company.
Apologies for my forward approach. I've seen a comment to mini Sinclair in Hampton court from you. I'm currently building a case on him and would be really keen to learn your experience with him. I'm building a case with trading standards and company's house. He sold me a Cat D vehicle without advising me, causing me a financial lost. as i say im building a car with trading standards. Please could you send me your experience with this company through to me on [email protected] I look forward to hearing from you soon. Rowena

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im trying to take him to court too - we need to all support each other and get a judge to take this seriously.

I'm currently building a case on him and would be really keen to learn your experience with him. I'm building a case with trading standards and company's house. He sold me a Cat D vehicle without advising me, causing me a financial lost. as i say im building a car with trading standards. Please could you send me your experience with this company through to me on [email protected] I look forward to hearing from you soon. Rowena

·
Registered
6 Posts
One guy said he was able to get his money back from him, i think there is hope we just have to keep fighting, I also think a group of us need to go there and cause a fuss, what this man has done is wrong and I hope one else falls victim to it. please send your email Im also planing on taking him To court might be able to help both of us ??
I'm currently building a case on him and would be really keen to learn your experience with him. I'm building a case with trading standards and company's house. He sold me a Cat D vehicle without advising me, causing me a financial lost. as i say im building a car with trading standards. Please could you send me your experience with this company through to me on [email protected] I look forward to hearing from you soon. Rowena

·
Registered
6 Posts
We sold the car a few months ago to someone looking for a project. It was just one problem after another with it
Apologies for my forward approach. I've seen a comment to mini Sinclair in Hampton court from you. I'm currently building a case on him and would be really keen to learn your experience with him. I'm building a case with trading standards and company's house. He sold me a Cat D vehicle without advising me, causing me a financial lost. as i say im building a car with trading standards. Please could you send me your experience with this company through to me on [email protected] I look forward to hearing from you soon. Rowena

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a feeling he'd do that :mad: just keep giving him bad press. what about a local news paper ? the less trade he gets the better.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
I think 90% of all my engine refreshes is from where owners buy a car off a dealer or a private seller to find it has oil burning problems or major engine issues, I know of dealers blaming the mini bmw product and try and shovel it back at dealers and blame them for its weak points, trouble is most cars are designed around a 5 year life span I suspect , just the other side of warranty's and finance deals etc, many dealers buy 20 cars at auction sourced from we buy any car as they own british car auctions these cars dont go through any workshop checks just paper and visual checks only,, but still these dealers should stand by their sales and treat customers right and take it on that its their fault they bought a faulty car that was never checked correctly at point of sale and sold it , when a dealer sells a cat write off on register car and did not inform you means you will get your money back for sure when it goes to court as its a legal requirement if you are a trader to tell buyers of this,,, if it were a private sale then its on the buyer to check and do HPI before parting with any money,, years ago I was buying cars to sell and always stood by what ever I sold but I did always either fix a fault or just refund someone right away better to be honest than not in my book, even I had a few that bounced back and had to refund them, some cars are just hidden pigs and have layers of faults to unpick,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,
We bought a supercharged R52 (2008) from London Mini owned by Charles Sinclair in Hampton London. Right from the start there were issues and not put off we accepted the fact the SWC didn’t work and it seemed to be running a little hot (though within limits). Anyway, my partner was driving and the car overheated. No obvious coolant leak so had it taken to BMW. The diagnosis showed first stage cooling fan wasn’t working and pressure test revealed blown head gasket (at least). BMW said the fan had probably not been functioning for some time
We have had the car since late October and though the 3 month warranty has just passed expected the dealer to make it right. He won’t do that and wants to share the expense. Off to court we go!!
Hi everyone,
Not sure what all the fuss is about I have brought three cars from this company and any issues have been dealt with with out any problem.
Normal key board warriors alway quick to complain
Would highly recommended this company.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please tell us more?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure what all the fuss is about I have brought three cars from this company and any issues have been dealt with with out any problem.
Normal key board warriors alway quick to complain
Would highly recommended this company.
The 'fuss' is lots of people getting ripped by Charles Sinclair, all with proof, and we'd like to see him stop ripping others off in the future.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts