MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not getting my baby it seems til mid-05...probably won't order it til Jan or Feb. That said, I can't wait for it...just a few bills that need to be paid off first.

My question is this. My commute right now is 45 miles round trip, and my 98 civic has 104k miles on it in about 6.5 years. Even though we have a grocery getter-trip car already for the family, the MCS is going to be mine and I'll drive it every day.
Do any of you /have any of you gotten a Mini and started off putting 14-15k miles a year on it? I know that's gotta hurt on the depreciation if I ever wanna sell it (hopefully won't ever, I wasn't planning on selling the honda either but it'll get passed down to my sister in law and I'll still get a few thousand out of it), but am I the only one who will buy a nice car and then drive the heck out of it?

Would make me feel better if you guys aren't all putting 5k miles on your babies...I see these porsches and vettes for sale that are 10 years old with 35k miles and I don't know what to think. I'm going to DRIVE it, for better or worse. It'd be cool if I could afford a practical car and a fun car, but hey, the money says choose one, and I'm getting the fun car--it'll have to be practical as well. (and no shot at our mileage, minis do that well. I guess I think of practical as not piling up mileage on a car unless it's a cheap car)

If you've driven yours a lot (say more than 14k a year), is it holding up well?

Happy to be on the mini2 forum,
I'll be around a while I hope.

MC in STL.

·
MINI2 Master Baiter
3,406 Posts
mc_stl said:
If you've driven yours a lot (say more than 14k a year), is it holding up well?

MC in STL.
picked up mine in mid Feb '03, not quite 20 months later I just cracked 53,000.

Repairs over the warranty period, one's that I can remember:

Complete engine wiring harness w/ throttle body
Major leak in boot
Airbag wiring under seats replaced.
Oxygen sensor
Transmission (5 speed) (at 47,000)
Steering column

Can't remember the other stuff without going throught the receipts.

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
I'm doing 78 miles a day minimum in my MCS Works.... it now has 49000 miles on the clock.... and isn't yet two years old.

Still love driving it every day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i got my mini cooper s in april of this year and already have 27k on it(yes, you are reading this correctly). the mini has given me 0 real problems since then other than a couple of little rattles which were taken care of by the dealer. the gas mileage has been consistently about 31mpg w/ the constant stop and go traffic that you have to deal w/ in NJ.

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
I have 20000km on my car after 8 months... no major problems.

I dont care about resale value as if I ever go to trade it in, I think the joy the car has given me will in a way make up for the loss of money...

GET IT, DRIVE IT... ENJOY IT then come on mini2.com and tell us about your adventures!:D

What specs are you getting?

Todd

·
Registered
429 Posts
We've driven our '02 between 40 and 60 miles/day. It has just over 30k miles now and Kelly Blue Book has it a thousand or so under what we bought it for. It's help up great and has only had the odd squeek and coolant expansion tank leak. The MINI will hold up very well under these conditions because the oil will always get a chance to warm up and depreciation is so low, you really don't have to worry about it.

·
I can't spell
2,856 Posts
Had my 03 MC for a year and a half and traded it in with 37k on the clock. Got a great trade in, but probably could have made more if I had sold it privately. I know a lot of people who drive these cars alot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
84 mile commute

I drive 42 miles one-way to work, straight through downtown Atlanta everyday!
I have had my car for two weeks and already have close to 2500 miles on it.
It is so comfortable. The heated seats are amazing for the muscles. I worry about
resale too but hey, I have to get to work somehow .. and at least it is in style!!

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
mc_stl said:
My question is this. My commute right now is 45 miles round trip,
My round trip daily is 60miles. does that make you feel better? :) But I just started that 2 months ago. and it will continue for hopfully a very long time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Holding up?

Hey MC in STL, thank you for asking this question. I was wondering the same thing as I have purchased my car (arrival end of Dec.) as my every day commute car. (32 miles round trip 5-6 days a week). I feel so much better about my decision! :D

·
Registered
785 Posts
Well if it makes you feel better my daily commute is a 96 mile round trip, which is why my local Shell garage knows me on first name terms. I'm interested in how much of a whack high mileage is going to have on resale. I'm reckoning on doing about 24,000 miles a year. Get my MCS on December 17th.

I still don't understand why the average mileage in the UK is set at 12,000 miles per year, I wouldn't have thought that this accurately reflects driving patterns anymore.

Look forward to your comments.

Regards
Christopher

·
Registered
187 Posts
Chris, on the average mileage front, I suspect that the figures are skewed a bit. If you look at the London dealer website at a three year old car, the mileage on them tend to be much lower as people don't drive as much (well, you can't really!) I've had my MCS in London for 18 months now and it had 8500 miles on it. You see it a lot, particular small family things like 206 etc, that are sold with hardly any miles on them as they get used once a week to get to Tescos.

Now, I do a weekly commute to Cheshire in it (500 round trip) and the mileage is piling on. Did 2000K in France in the summer with it as well, and the car just runs so well. I've no worries about the miles in it, just a very comfortable stylish way of getting about. The fact that it's such a hoot as well just makes it even better.

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
i do 75 miles daily commute, had my MCS since dec 03 and ive clocked up 28,000 miles. So far ive had the following problems and apart from that a hell of a lot of fun.. did 2500 mile round europe this summer which was brilliant :)

top of the list are the worse ones, bottom the annoying but not so serious ones.

steering rack failure @ 8k
3 front windscreens
frontwindscreen a pillars covers come off at speed (damaged roof and respray required)
universal joint rubbing on steering rack.
PCV valve coming loose
loose handbrake
loose parcel shelf
rattling boot lock
sqeaky seat
window smears inside MINI

in terms of depreciation value of my MINI due to excessive milleage, im not too worried im going to keep it and run it into the ground.:)

·
Mr 120d Sport
4,610 Posts
Id be interested to hear form you "high milers" on how the paintwork is holding up.

My car, a May '03 MCS with 23k miles seems to be suffering "erratic" stone chipping at the front, as in it's not commensurate with the mileage......how is everyone else's paint........???

I'm having a meeting with the "Area Technical Manager" on Wednesday, and would appreciate some feedback/ammo, as I think it's not acceptable, hence a potential warranty claim for sub-stadard paint!

Robert

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
my June 03 S has 31.5k on the clock now... I have a 50 mile round trip each day to work, I do about 23k a year.... I will worry about trade in when the time comes next year !... I cant think of another car I would still enjoy driving after 30k, this is my 14th car and i'm 30 !...

Robert, my car has relatively few stonechips, one big one and some minor small ones but nothing excessive (windscreen is a different matter though !!)... I have seen cars with less miles than mine with lots more damage though... and normally more noticable on the darker colours, black, red etc....

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
wobert123 said:
Id be interested to hear form you "high milers" on how the paintwork is holding up.

My car, a May '03 MCS with 23k miles seems to be suffering "erratic" stone chipping at the front, as in it's not commensurate with the mileage......how is everyone else's paint........???

I'm having a meeting with the "Area Technical Manager" on Wednesday, and would appreciate some feedback/ammo, as I think it's not acceptable, hence a potential warranty claim for sub-stadard paint!

Robert

I've a few chips on mine, but considering I've been on about 20 mini runs through country lanes, right up close to the car in front, then Its not so bad really.

They look incredibly naff, but sometime syou have to wonder if one of those american style 'car bras' would be a good idea on runs.

Helps that my car is DS, it does not show chips badly.

·
Now with S power!
23,915 Posts
Just clocked 20k and experiences odd stone chips particularly up the side. Not doing many miles now as my commute is zero miles. However got 1000 miles trip this weekend and 500 miles trip in 2 weeks so I'm still having fun. :D

Spoke to a guy that has a Cooper and did 78,000 miles in just under 2 years with the car being used as a driving school car and experienced no major problems.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
I did 23.5 thousand in my MINI cooper the first year I owned it. I cummute 30+ miles a day (in the car then the rest by train)...I have had no major issues with the car. It is going in for a noisy gearbox now but that is one of those things (no car is infallable)...stone chips is my major one, but I also get rattles on the dash etc (this is due the very poor road quality here in my county, lots of sunken man holes on the main roads and very bumpy/rough roads) I have S suspension and it gets a pummelling at high speed over the dodgy roads.....does well to stick it as well as it is though.

R

1 - 20 of 28 Posts