MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I am in the planning stages for a trip from New Jersey to Florida. I think we will take the Mini. In the car will be myself and a friend. We will drive straight through, with only food/bathroom/gas stops. My only concern with taking the Mini is that as it has such a short wheelbase, the ride will be tiring. Has anyone done the "I95 to Florida" run in their Mini? I haven't driven to Florida since the early 1990's, so do not know the conditions of I95. Thanks in advance!

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I don't know what the distance is, or what the roads are like, but as long as you've got the cruise control (I see you have) then it should be a breeze. Driving from Spain the UK was fun for me, even with really long stretches with no break. It's not a problem.

:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently took my newish MC on a 1200 mile (oneway) trip from Calgary to Utah, all on interstate highway and did 15 hrs straight the first day and the car was fabulous. I set the cruise at 80-85 most of the way.
I was by myself but found the ride and the seating to be very comfortable. The thing that really helped was the heated seats. I would flip the 1/2 hr on 1/2 hr off and it really helped keep my back muscles relaxed.
I also installed the Aux cable so i could listen to my MP3 player and not have to screw with radio starions all the time

Enjoy the ride

·
Only Unbalanced
924 Posts

·
MINI SPONSOR
329 Posts
I am in the planning stages for a trip from New Jersey to Florida. I think we will take the Mini. In the car will be myself and a friend. We will drive straight through, with only food/bathroom/gas stops. . Has anyone done the "I95 to Florida" run in their Mini? I haven't driven to Florida since the early 1990's, so do not know the conditions of I95. Thanks in advance!
Not a Mini but a Morris MInor. I sure some of the Mini2 members are laughing.

It was one funky car..Cousin to the Mini cooper.
Took 95 and Old Dixie Highway (single lane before 95 was built) and drove straight through in 26 hours. Spring fling in Fort Lauderdale. :p
Have a great time. E-mail me when you get down.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
I've done several trips in my last MINI (an '02, not a Classic) that were around the 500 mile mark, and all of them on highly boring roads, like I-80 through PA and 80/90 through Indiana. Never had a problem, and those were by myself. If I had a co-driver, It'd be easy to switch off driving, and then it'd be fine. I wouldn't worry at all, and its a great time to get in touch with the road, because on boring long-distance driving, you can concentrate on driving, but the car doesn't make it a pain, like if you were driving a Jeep Wrangler or something else that was just not designed for long term driving.

And as far as wheelbase, the wheelbase on a MINI is 97.1 inches. Just off the top of my head I picked the Corolla. Its wheelbase is 102.4 inches. 5" isn't all that big of a difference, the MINI just has a lot less car outside the wheelbase then most other cars on the road in the compact to midsize class. Its actual stance is pretty similar, length is the big difference. line up the wheels next time you park next to a smaller car, you may be surprised the MINI is actually more stretched. An Echo for instance, which is almost 2 feet longer then a MINI has a wheelbase of 93.3 or a few inches shorter.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Exactly 1 year ago, we drove in my wife's 2002 Cooper CVT from Miami, FL to Williamsburg, Virginia which is about 1,000 miles each way. Going there, we drove on I-95 all the way and we had an absolute blast! The car simply put LOVES THE HIGHWAY and it was extremely comfortable, fast and fuel frugal. In the open road you can clearly appreciate the BMW German engineering heritage of the MINI. The air turbulence of big 18-wheeler trucks don''t even bother it at all, the car feels on rails at any given speed and the driving experience is so solid, it reminds you that this is a FINE high caliber automobile, not a Japanese econobox.

Her Cooper CVT has the standard sport suspension, 15" non-runflat factory Continental radials, standard seats and cruise control. The car was fantastic!!!

We made it to Williamsburg leisury in about 3 days. First leg we drove from Miami to Daytona Beach, second leg from Daytona Beach to Walterboro, SC and then the last leg from there all the way to Richmond, VA then onto Williamsburg. Again all this was done on I-95 to save some time. We made a stop in Savannah, GA for fun.

Coming back to Miami, we took a longer route. We drove from Williamsburg onto Charlottesville (Via I-66), the we drove down the Blue Ridge Parkway (Did I mention how the fantastic CVT transmission loves the twisty mountain roads?) for about 70 miles and then we cut over to I-81 down to North Carolina, then a bit of Tennessee (Smoky Mountain National Park) and then drove south into Georgia towards Atlanta (Awesome roads during the length of this trip) and then from Atlanta to Miami, we took I-75 and then took the Florida Turnpike until we got home.

In all and all we put 2,800 miles in 1 week of driving and drove thru 7 states. To truly appreciate the MINI's engineering prowess until you take the car on a long road trip.

We have taken lotsa roadtrips in her CVT within Florida. Back in March we took a quick weekend getaway from Miami to Hilton Head island, SC in her Cooper CVT and drove 550 miles straight from Miami in one day reaching Hilton Head in just under 7 hours behind the wheel. No problemos!.

I haven't taken my '04 MCS on very long roadtrips, yet buy boy that car flies down the highway!!!!. In June we took a nice weekend quickie trip from Miami to Universal Studios Orlando in my MCS and it was absolutely comfortable. On that trip we also visited Lake Wales and the beautiful Bok Tower and Gardens.

Last weekend I took my MCS again on Minis of Miami "Keys Run 2004" and drove from Miami to Key Colony Beach and back in just about 2 hours each way...what a blast!.

In a couple of weeks I am thinking of taking the MCS on a nice getaway from Miami to St. Agustine and the following weekend from Miami to Naples.

The MINI is one of the best and most fun long distance driving cars!!!!!

·
Mr 120d Sport
4,610 Posts
Last year I did home-Nurburgring-home in a long weekend.......1500+ miles.......no aches, no pains......just FUN!

Robert

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've put so many highway miles on my MINI that I'm ashamed--where have all the curvey road routes gone?

Made it from Maryland to Minnesota in two hops, each of 11-12 hours. Two MINIs, four kids, luggage for a two week vacation, cell phones, radios, lots of CDs. When you have four daughters, you stop every two hours, trust me on this.

Nice lunches along the way, lots of passing pick up trucks, fun using road tactics.

Also been all up and down the East Coast, but not much time on 95 except from MD to NJ. Record: 179 miles in 3 hours and 3 minutes. Longest time for the same run: 5 hours 49 minutes (this includes cutting through rest stops to get out of bumper to bumper traffic).

With the caveat that I'd rather be driving up and down Rte. 1 in California, I have to say that the MCS is a FANTASTIC interstate cruiser. The ride is good, the handling is better, and the 60-90 mph acceleration is a real boon.

One tip--treat the long interstate drive as a chess game, and consider your Cooper a Knight: eschew the straight line, anticipate, and go one square over and two squares up!

Have fun, and enjoy the MPG!

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
I drive 140 miles to Philadelphia every now and again. After about 100 miles my lower back is killing me. I'm not slouching or leaning to one side, i'm sitting up straight with 2 hands on the wheel. The seat is 3 clicks up in height and the back is quite straight.

Luke

·
a.k.a Handsome Rob
2,955 Posts
I find the long distance trips are more comfortable and with less fatigue in our MCS vs. our 2002 Honda Civic.
Tavis1 :red:

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife and I just finished a 2100 mile drive from Chicago to Seattle in my new '05 MINI, and the car was solid and comfortable at all times.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
lukebuzzy said:
I drive 140 miles to Philadelphia every now and again. After about 100 miles my lower back is killing me. I'm not slouching or leaning to one side, i'm sitting up straight with 2 hands on the wheel. The seat is 3 clicks up in height and the back is quite straight.

Luke
I don't think I could have a more different position then you. I keep the seat at the total bottom, and the backrest is a bit reclined.

People are different, but maybe you should try changing your seating position? Since you have the leather seats, what do you do for adjusting the lumbar support? And as others have said, cycling on and off the seat heaters is a nice benefit on longer drive to keep your back happy.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Good advice in any car if you suffer from driving fatigue: stop every hour or two or three and readjust your seat and steering wheel position to a different comfortable position while you're standing still. Works in any car, and you may find a seating position that's even better!

Don't forget to check to see if you can reach the clutch comfortably, and readjust the mirrors!

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
stryder said:
I don't think I could have a more different position then you. I keep the seat at the total bottom, and the backrest is a bit reclined.

People are different, but maybe you should try changing your seating position? Since you have the leather seats, what do you do for adjusting the lumbar support? And as others have said, cycling on and off the seat heaters is a nice benefit on longer drive to keep your back happy.
The heated seats are a god send for long drives especialy for the cold mornings up here. The lumbar support doesn't do much for me. Even though I'm 5,11 it strikes me as being too high on my back.

I wish the JCW seats were available in the States, the leather would match, I wouldn't lose the heat and they look like they provide much more support than the standard seats.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Go for it. Almost to a man, we who have driven long distances (and I mean hundreds of miles a day over a period of several days) agree that the MINI Cooper is a comfortable ride. With cruise control and reasonably frequent stops to relieve any sore muscles you might have, you will enjoy driving this car like no other.

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
After two trips to Vermont, round trips of 560 miles, and a trip to Cape Cod of about the same length I can say that the ride is great, no worries. When my wife and I travel together I usually do all of the driving. I can do 5 hours straight with no problems. The Sport Seats are very supportive and highly adjustable allowing you to find a comfortable position.

It does not seem to matter whether I travel on the "super slab" or take secondary roads, long stints behind the wheel are no problems. I would not hesitate to take a trip of any length in my MCS.

·
Registered
71 Posts
9000RPMan said:
Hello All,
I am in the planning stages for a trip from New Jersey to Florida. I think we will take the Mini. In the car will be myself and a friend. We will drive straight through, with only food/bathroom/gas stops. My only concern with taking the Mini is that as it has such a short wheelbase, the ride will be tiring. Has anyone done the "I95 to Florida" run in their Mini? I haven't driven to Florida since the early 1990's, so do not know the conditions of I95. Thanks in advance!

9000RPMan... I did 800 miles recently in my S, pretty hard driving... mostly 90+ :eek: ... on really lousy interstate (I-80 through PA... really crummy road, lots of pavement damaged or under construction). It was a blast. No aches, pains, or other complaints. I say go for it, and enjoy the ride.

-gb

·
Registered
691 Posts
Just got back from an 800 mile drive to West Virginia (I70) and down to southern Virginia (I81). Did some local roads along the way.

Three kids, two MINIs, some luggage, some running around town at the destination, no problems. Lots of looks and lots of passing people doing the speed limit in the left lane (what's up with that?).

At any rate, a good six hours in either direction, fun, instructive, comgortable, I'm thinking about arranging a MINI Cannon Ball Rally to California this Spring. Not really competitive, but fun. I70 out to the Rockies, and then every MINI for itself to the front sidewalk at the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood..

The MCS is a great Interstate cruiser.

Anyone in?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts