MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Bad Dog, Moderator
Joined
·
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towne MINI in Buffalo, NY says they just passed 100. Sales person says she's not sure of Cooper / Cooper S percentages.

How long is the list at your dealer? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
There is somewhere around 40 people on my dealer's list (with deposits), about 30 Cooper S and the rest Cooper. They have stopped taking deposits until the car arrives.

Crown BMW/MINI in Richmond, VA
 

·
Moderator & Sponsor
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
gromit said:
Towne MINI in Buffalo, NY says they just passed 100. Sales person says she's not sure of Cooper / Cooper S percentages.

How long is the list at your dealer? :confused:
Is it a list of those people who have made a deposit?

Kind of scary they don't know percentages - with the total at 100 they might even be able to do it without a calculator. :) I guess they haven't yet figured out they will need two lists to separate the Cooper customers from the S customers?
 

·
Bad Dog, Moderator
Joined
·
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Longest / Shortest USA waiting lists???

The sales person apparently is just putting the name on the list without getting specific as to model. I volunteered I wanted a "S", I'm not sure I would have been asked. I may be mistaken as to their accounting of model requests as I told them right away I would be *ordering* my car and was not interested in getting one off the lot.


BruceK said:


Is it a list of those people who have made a deposit?

Kind of scary they don't know percentages - with the total at 100 they might even be able to do it without a calculator. :) I guess they haven't yet figured out they will need two lists to separate the Cooper customers from the S customers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
I'm in Long Island NY, and in August the list was about 145 long. I was just informed that the list is more than 100(?) and 90% are for Cooper S. Good thing I'm number 6!!!:p
 

·
Loves MINI2
Joined
·
855 Posts
My dealer has 2 seperate lists. I am #46 on the S list. At the time I put the deposit down she said the regular cooper list is half that of the S list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Since there are only two dealers for the entire northwestern U.S., I suspect the waiting lists are longer there (here), than elsewhere. I don't know how many people from the "contact list" have made deposits, but Tim at Northwest MINI said the contact list had over 500 names on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
Like I've said many times before, and Bruce said here, it depends on whether they're taking deposits. In Sterling, VA, I was #43 until they took deposits, now I'm #1. I heard recently that their list is only about 23 long right now (with deposits). I think Towson, MD is around the 30's with deposits. Not sure what the rest in the area have, but there are still two more in my close proximity.

But then, there's the guy who put his spot in line on Ebay and said there were 700 on his local list, I doubt that's with deposits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I was informed by my dealer back in October that initial allocation in the US (i.e. 2002) will be 65% Cooper/35% Cooper S, with all US dealers getting the same number of cars per month for the first year (likely to be adjusted thereafter based on actual sales). Again, according to my dealer, each of the US dealers will get 10 "S" models per month in calendar year 2002.

I don't have any idea how many are currently on my dealer's waiting list, but it must be alot since I've had my deposit in since last summer and I'm #20.
 

·
Bad Dog, Moderator
Joined
·
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doing the math here... If each dealer gets 10 "S" models per month and (guessing here) 60% of the orders on a list of 100 are for "S" models (60), I am looking at a six month wait after the rollout. Anyone have any other thoughts on these numbers? Glad I negotiated the deposit to $100!:cool:
 

·
Moderator & Sponsor
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
My dealer called yesterday and said in March they would get 20 Coopers and, then 2 months later in May they would get 20 Cooper S models. MINI USA will decide upon the spec for these 40 cars with no input from the dealership or its customers. No word on the number of cars provided in future months.

I'm #8 on the S list and I was told I would be able to choose one of the S models delivered to the dealership in May, or else place an order at that time (late May) for the exact car I want and expect a 3 or 4 month wait for delivery. :( I was told the process for the Coopers would work the same way, except in March rather than May.

Assuming several of each model will be retained by the dealer as showroom or demo models and that I understand this process correctly, I will hopefully have about 10 Cooper S models from which to choose one to take home at that time. I hope MINI USA does not equip each car with the maximum of all the option packages, (I want a fairly standard car) so this procedure may work out favorably for me.

Has anyone else heard something similar from their local dealer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
BruceK said:
My dealer called yesterday and said in March they would get 20 Coopers and, then 2 months later in May they would get 20 Cooper S models. MINI USA will decide upon the spec for these 40 cars with no input from the dealership or its customers. No word on the number of cars provided in future months.

I'm #8 on the S list and I was told I would be able to choose one of the S models delivered to the dealership in May, or else place an order at that time (late May) for the exact car I want and expect a 3 or 4 month wait for delivery. :( I was told the process for the Coopers would work the same way, except in March rather than May.

Assuming several of each model will be retained by the dealer as showroom or demo models and that I understand this process correctly, I will hopefully have about 10 Cooper S models from which to choose one to take home at that time. I hope MINI USA does not equip each car with the maximum of all the option packages, (I want a fairly standard car) so this procedure may work out favorably for me.

Has anyone else heard something similar from their local dealer?
Thanks for the info Bruce. My dealer pretty much said the same thing except I don't think they are expecting that many cars, maybe 10 or less of each model in the first allocation. We'll see.

I'm with you........I want a fairly basic car, with only a few options.


Mike
 

·
Moderator & Sponsor
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
Originally I posted:
My dealer called yesterday and said in March they would get 20 Coopers and, then 2 months later in May they would get 20 Cooper S models. MINI USA will decide upon the spec for these 40 cars with no input from the dealership or its customers. No word on the number of cars provided in future months.

I'm #8 on the S list and I was told I would be able to choose one of the S models delivered to the dealership in May, or else place an order at that time (late May) for the exact car I want and expect a 3 or 4 month wait for delivery. :( I was told the process for the Coopers would work the same way, except in March rather than May.

Assuming several of each model will be retained by the dealer as showroom or demo models and that I understand this process correctly, I will hopefully have about 10 Cooper S models from which to choose one to take home at that time. I hope MINI USA does not equip each car with the maximum of all the option packages, (I want a fairly standard car) so this procedure may work out favorably for me.

Has anyone else heard something similar from their local dealer?
Today I got a clarification on this from the newly assigned manager of MINI operations at my dealer (a different person than who called 2 days ago with the above info).

Based upon my conversation, almost everything above is correct, except the numbers will likely be about 10 of each model MINI, rather than 20 as stated above, and these MINIs will be separate from any showroom/demo models the dealership gets -- they will all go to customers. Specifically 10 Coopers are expected in late March and 10 S models in late May.

He reaffirmed that no MINI orders will be taken until late March for the standard Cooper and in late May for the S.

He also said he visits the MINI2 site regularly :)
 

·
Canned
Joined
·
13,888 Posts
BruceK said:

He reaffirmed that no MINI orders will be taken until late March for the standard Cooper and in late May for the S.

Did you ask your dealer how long it would take an 'S to be delivered after the order was placed.
 

·
Moderator & Sponsor
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
MINIAC said:

Did you ask your dealer how long it would take an 'S to be delivered after the order was placed.
Yes, the response was 'a month or two' for either model.

That didn't seem very definitive, but I didn't push it, as I doubt that information is really available at this time. And based upon how long some customers are waiting in the UK with delivery dates pushed back many times, much of it (logically) seems to depend on how quickly the factory can produce cars with a reduced number of defects. I think the admirable goal of fewer defects is slowing production.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
My dealer, Westchester MINI in White Plains NY, would tell me NOTHING about their list -- length, my place, Cooper or S -- nothing. The salesman only a promised me a call from the dealership mgmt, sometime in 2002. :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
Clutch Cargo said:
My dealer, Westchester MINI in White Plains NY, would tell me NOTHING about their list -- length, my place, Cooper or S -- nothing. The salesman only a promised me a call from the dealership mgmt, sometime in 2002. :mad:
I contacted the same dealer and was given an identical response. At least we know they are being consistent. I wonder what kind of order they are going to contact those people who left their information, perhaps going page by page through their roledex...:( :mad: :confused: Surely enough, I am not going to wait for them to tell me what place I am in when their showroom is finally built.

If you have not done so already, I suggest you to secure a spot on the waitlists for the numerous MINI dealers in the region. good luck :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Is your Mini dealer's building almost finished?

I was just informed by my dealer that they can't sell cars until the Mini dealership is built. So now I am at some contractor's mercy on when I will get delivery of my car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
Re: Is your Mini dealer's building almost finished?

coopercrazy said:
I was just informed by my dealer that they can't sell cars until the Mini dealership is built. So now I am at some contractor's mercy on when I will get delivery of my car?
I heard the same thing from my dealer..........fortunately, the construction is on target for March completion. Basically there is a small section on the side of the showroom that was only partially covered before, and now will be fully enclosed and serve as the MINI area :D
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top