MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a used Mini for my daughter.
2010 Mini non turbo with new clutch and 105K on the clock.

I looked it over and drove it, the clutch is good and it runs fine.

Took a look under the oil cam and wanted to know if the cam look is normal. It is really smooth and but does this look normal?

It is the only real thing I am concerned about, can probably get it for about 5K. Does that sound ok? Everything looks good, little wear of the front seat but not too bad.

Attachments

· Registered
193 Posts
I am looking at a used Mini for my daughter.
2010 Mini non turbo with new clutch and 105K on the clock.

I looked it over and drove it, the clutch is good and it runs fine.

Took a look under the oil cam and wanted to know if the cam look is normal. It is really smooth and but does this look normal?

It is the only real thing I am concerned about, can probably get it for about 5K. Does that sound ok? Everything looks good, little wear of the front seat but not too bad.
Seems expensive for 2010 and 105 k miles. Have you looked on Motors.co.uk to get a comparison ?
You will need to know history of the timing chain.

· Registered
13,593 Posts
if i turned up to buy that and i always check the oil filler before starting it and after starting it ie when not started on yours there can see chance are its had good oil changes going by the colour of the cam and spring etc, 100k on one that has not they are very black full of carbon build up, devils advocate might make me think its had a head off at some point of its life you can check the notches on gasket if head been skimmed as so many do when chain fails and bends valves the head gets totally cleaned and head gets skimmed this is perfectly ok and i would lean to buying one that had this done to it over one that never did, as gasket should last longer and engine shop would of fixed what ever needed to be, at 105k it will deffo of had a chain done at least they tend to be around 60k some do sort of last longer put drive terrible laggy and no top end, hmm the price is that £5000 uk money thats a lot of money for a 2010 with those miles, if were me i would find one with lower mileage that needed a timing chain doing and owner just wants gone ie buy take to garage and get fixed main dealers prices are around the £800-£1200 depending on who needs doing, black magic do timing chain kits for mini in fact i normally end up doing them for them now a lot cheaper than that but you would need to contact them speak to john mention me etc this stands for anyone else that needs a chain sorting correctly even have a option as have a recovery truck that can go anywhere to collect or deliver back but would need to speak to them at garage for costs etc,, there a few options of a complete kit ie from bmw/mini OE or aftermarket full kits FAI, or just a half kit not including the vanos sprockets etc,they also do decat and remaps on all of them and done in a way that genuine filter outer is used so pass mot like it,
remember at moment its a buyers market nothing is selling very well sometimes buying from a dealer dont always pan out with a warranty that covers nothing if things go wrong, sometimes cheaper just to buy a private car make cheeky offer then fix the weakness ie chain kit after 60k ish, private and dealer prices tend to be on a 5k car at least £1000, where a faulty cooper s with timing chain rattle will be under £2k to buy

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like I inadvertently found myself on a UK site, I am here in the states but the information is good none the less and I thank you. New to this Mini thing, so the 5K would be about about 3860 Pounds sterling. Regardless of that I am not going to pursue this one. Before I went any further I ran the VIN and it had flood damage at one point. They replaced the computer but I don't trust it as it was totaled. So back to the start. Having trouble finding a manual for a reasonable price here in the Midwest states.

Not afraid to turn a wrench/spanner and the info on the timing chain is really good to know. Last year I helped my son put a cam in a 2004 LT1 GTO which is a rebadged Aussie Monaro for the states, so not afraid to dive in. That thing was in a million pieces and one head has to be easier than two but the variable timing can be tricking for sure.

I take it skimming is the same thing as milling. Know a shop here to get that done.

The car is for my Daughter, I am more of a V8 kind of guy but the Mini would be perfect for her and glad to say she wants a stick and I think the Mini would be a hoot with a stick. She is learning on my Mustang.

I'll keep looking and thanks for the input.

· Registered
573 Posts
Seems expensive for 2010 and 105 k miles. Have you looked on Motors.co.uk to get a comparison ?
You will need to know history of the timing chain.
What mileage is the timing chain and guides replacement advised?

· Registered
573 Posts
I've just booked my Cooper R56 in for a timing chain job at 55k miles.
I called the dealer service. They said the timing chain needs zero maintenance. If it doesn't fail, it doesn't need replacement, service, or anything and is a maintenance-free item in most MINI's as long as you keep oil in the car. If oil goes oil, that's when you will have problems He said there was some problems at the beginning but they did a factory recall to fix all those.

I was shocked what he said compared to what I have been reading???

· Registered
193 Posts
I called the dealer service. They said the timing chain needs zero maintenance. If it doesn't fail, it doesn't need replacement, service, or anything and is a maintenance-free item in most MINI's as long as you keep oil in the car. If oil goes oil, that's when you will have problems He said there was some problems at the beginning but they did a factory recall to fix all those.

I was shocked what he said compared to what I have been reading???
Buying second hand we do not know if the original owner was vigilant keeping the oil topped up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.