MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, searched threads but couldn't find the specifics I wanted. Just a few questions I hope you kind folks can answer. I am trying to transition from a Ford Explorer to something more reasonable, but I still have two boys to transport.

1) Is there enough room for me? I'm 6'1"

2) Is there enough room for two adults, an 8yr old and a 3yr old?

3) What is too much mileage on a Clubman to not consider it?

4) What type of problems are associated with them? ex. Nobody told me my truck had a standard leak in the rear differential that Ford knew was a problem but didn't recall

5) What are the first year runs of the clubby so I can avoid them and search for one where the kinks may have been worked out?

Let me thank you in advance for your help. I have always loved the Mini as they look like such a fun car to drive. I just need to know whether they are a money pit or an investment. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi There,sorry if this is old news, i'm a little over 6'1" and when sat comfy Lucy my 14yr old daughter at 5'7" can sit behind me quite comfortably, we as a family are quite tall Julie is 5'10" and sam the youngest 10 and 5' and we find the mini is fine for space.

Mileage wise we have mini's at work with 130000 miles on them as they are pool cars they are diesels though. So they can do high mileage.

faults we are too new to the fold, i think 07 is the first year run we have an 08 cooper d clubman and i think its one of the best cars ever, i drove the ones at work.

probably neither a money pit nor an investment at the moment.

·
Registered
99 Posts
New to the forum, searched threads but couldn't find the specifics I wanted. Just a few questions I hope you kind folks can answer. I am trying to transition from a Ford Explorer to something more reasonable, but I still have two boys to transport.

1) Is there enough room for me? I'm 6'1"

2) Is there enough room for two adults, an 8yr old and a 3yr old?

3) What is too much mileage on a Clubman to not consider it?

4) What type of problems are associated with them? ex. Nobody told me my truck had a standard leak in the rear differential that Ford knew was a problem but didn't recall

5) What are the first year runs of the clubby so I can avoid them and search for one where the kinks may have been worked out?

Let me thank you in advance for your help. I have always loved the Mini as they look like such a fun car to drive. I just need to know whether they are a money pit or an investment. Thanks
If you want a reliable car don't buy a Mini. But if you're willing to deal with expensive common issues, poor customer service and expensive parts then trust me, its one hell of a car and there's nothing out there quite like a Mini. (Not just basing this on my current car but the 2007 Cooper that we have in the family as well). If you go from a Ford to a Mini, the first thing you'll notice is the premium quality of the car and how nicely thought out it is. The interior is unique in comparison to similar cars in its class. But don't expect Ford reliability, cheap ford parts, or easy access for fixing when things do go wrong.

Just do a quick search on the forum and you'll see how knackered my car is, but on the other hand I recently found out that our 73k miler full dealer history 07 Cooper has suffered as well, they had to replace the timing chain/ tensioner area gaskets as it was leaking oil like a sieve, and the then the timing tensioner went itself and the car sounded like a bag of nails on idle.

Don't expect BMW to fix their own problems. You'll be out of pocket as soon as its out of warranty. They know certain things go wrong but they don't give 2 *****

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
The clubman's are good cars especially the diesels.

The binis mini was neglected and driven to death by its previous owner and sold by a bodge job dealer.

If maintained properly a mini can be a reliable steed.

It definitely isn't the minis fault for the unreliability you've suffered Bini it just so happens your car was severely neglected.

The petrol second gen prince engine is ***** but even some of their problems can be stopped by proper maintenance.

The diesel however is excellent.

SeanC please we need sense!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
The clubman's are good cars especially the diesels.

The binis mini was neglected and driven to death by its previous owner and sold by a bodge job dealer.

If maintained properly a mini can be a reliable steed.

It definitely isn't the minis fault for the unreliability you've suffered Bini it just so happens your car was severely neglected.

The petrol second gen prince engine is ***** but even some of their problems can be stopped by proper maintenance.

The diesel however is excellent.

SeanC please we need sense!!
That may be the case, but are you seriously advising someone that MINI makes reliable cars? I'm sorry but that is just not true, they're riddled with issues and usually ones which are complicated and expensive. Just do a simple search on any car site regarding owner satisfaction and common faults, something like Parkers. Compare the Mini Hatches with any of its rivals, i.e. Honda Civic, Ford Fiesta, VW GOLF.

The clubman does have its issues, common fault include puddles in the rear foot wells from where the weather gets in from the faulty rubbers in the suicide doors. Are you going to argue that is acceptable in this decade? The clubman has other issues, first of which being clutches which burn out prematurely, the early countryman being the worse within 500-5000 miles, (in fact clutch issues seem to be a common MINI problem across the range). The diesels additive tanks start leaking orangey gunk and needs replacing. They rattle from the timing chain issues/ pretensioner issues, they have steering problems clunking etc. These may be early issues however nothing I've found suggests they've been rectified so only time will tell.

i'll be honest, these issues have been around for a while, all I was saying was that BMW don't give 2 ***** about it and only care about profits. The clubman has been running for a while now, at least 8 years + so they should've had time to do something about it. MINI themselves shy away from recalls.

Some members may have been lucky with their cars but I can guarantee that at least some of their hatches and other models would've been treated for issues in the past and will need treatment in future. It is a not a cheap thrills, reliable brand like Honda or Ford that the OP is used to and when things go wrong i'm willing to bet that they'll be far more expensive in labour and parts and I have a suspicion that Mini owners have a higher average repair bill.

In theory I can fix all the issues with my car, the PAS pump, put a new box and clutch in, put new steering rack and change all the track rod ends, new cat etc. But in my case, my car is designed to fail from factory, which is why I'm starting to understand why the previous ape almost drove mine into the ground, because its simply not worth fixing it. It'll just break again.

BMW knew things like the gearbox in mine would fail and didn't care as long as they failed after warranty period. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that a gearbox from the mid 80s designed to be fitted to a Citreon AX with a kerb weight of 800ish kilos is not suitable to be fitted to a MINI with a kerb weight of 1120kg. Any decent car maker would've recalled and refitted getrag units to their cars to show loyalty to their customers given an average rate of failure between 30,000 - 60,000 miles, they knew it was wrong and they did it anyway. I'm hopeful that you're not trying to defend this.

As for the careful maintenance with regard to my car, its a joke to expect someone to replace their gearbox fluid every 7500 miles when it was sealed and guaranteed for life.

OP all I am saying is be careful and don't expect it to be a cheap to run, reliable car because it isn't, none of them are. All cars have issues, MINIs just have expensive issues with vital components failing and when they go wrong you'll know about it, you might get lucky but just budget for the expensive repairs if things go wrong.

The risk of failures rise the older the car becomes, same applies to higher milages, so since you're looking at a 6-7 year old car,just do a bit of research and don't think a low miler, 1 owner car with FSH will do the trick. Get it inspected by RAC or AA equivalent for a full vehicle health check with an extended test drive.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Right chaps, this is my personal opinion on the MINI and like I say its just my own personal view!

I've found the mini to be just as reliable as any other car I've owned and as for parts prices they are no more expensive than any other car to maintain providing you don't buy all your parts from BMW! You can still buy OEM parts from motor factors without the MINI stamp on them if you know what your buying and in turn save yourself heaps of cash however I have found that in some cases it has been cheaper to source some parts from BMW!

The Generation 1 Minis up to July 2004 did have the weaker Midlands gearbox however I have seen and worked on early Generation 1 Minis with over 150,000 miles on the clock still with the original gearboxes in them and they have been fine so I guess some of the failures can be down to abuse and neglect from harsh owners. I'd always recommend regular oil changes on these boxes, at least every 30,000 - 40,000 miles and I don't believe for 1 minute that the oil is a lifetime oil! Power steering pumps were a common fault on early Minis but I haven't heard many failing for a while and if any do fail now you have to remember that the Generation 1's are now well over 10 years old in most cases so I guess this could now be classed as wear and tear?

From July 2004 the Generation 1 was face lifted and the gearbox was changed to the German Gertag box which is stronger than the Rover Midlands box however I have heard of these boxes failing too. I worked on one for a forum member just a few weeks ago!

The engines in the petrol Generation 1's are pretty much bullet proof providing they are maintained.

I'm not a fan of the petrol Generation 2's due to the fact that the engines in these up to about mid 2010 were rank. They suffered from various faults from timing chain tensioners, valve problems, carbon build ups and god knows what else. My mate had a 2006 petrol Generation 2 and it spent more time in the garage than on the road. The diesels on the other hand is a different story! Up to 2010 (I think) the diesels are 1.6 PSA which are Peugeot Hdi units and in all the years I have ran Hdi's I have never had any problems with them. I currently have 2 Clubmans thats are powered by 1.6 Hdi engines and they are perfect!

Finally Bini, re the faults listed you mention with the Clubman, I have 2 Clubmans, One with 130,000 miles and one with 43,0000 miles and none have any of the problems you note and the clutches are still original.

My maintenance standards are high on my cars and anyone on the forum who knows me personally will testify to this, so this is probably why I don't seem to suffer some of the same problems as others do as I'm a firm believer of preventative maintenance.

My advice to anyone buying a MINI is to either buy a face lift 2004+ generation 1 or if your wanting a diesel then go for a generation 2. The PSA and BMW engines are both pretty good reliable units but if its a petrol you want then go for a 2010 upwards.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Right chaps, this is my personal opinion on the MINI and like I say its just my own personal view!

I've found the mini to be just as reliable as any other car I've owned and as for parts prices they are no more expensive than any other car to maintain providing you don't buy all your parts from BMW! You can still buy OEM parts from motor factors without the MINI stamp on them if you know what your buying and in turn save yourself heaps of cash however I have found that in some cases it has been cheaper to source some parts from BMW!

The Generation 1 Minis up to July 2004 did have the weaker Midlands gearbox however I have seen and worked on early Generation 1 Minis with over 150,000 miles on the clock still with the original gearboxes in them and they have been fine so I guess some of the failures can be down to abuse and neglect from harsh owners. I'd always recommend regular oil changes on these boxes, at least every 30,000 - 40,000 miles and I don't believe for 1 minute that the oil is a lifetime oil! Power steering pumps were a common fault on early Minis but I haven't heard many failing for a while and if any do fail now you have to remember that the Generation 1's are now well over 10 years old in most cases so I guess this could now be classed as wear and tear?

From July 2004 the Generation 1 was face lifted and the gearbox was changed to the German Gertag box which is stronger than the Rover Midlands box however I have heard of these boxes failing too. I worked on one for a forum member just a few weeks ago!

The engines in the petrol Generation 1's are pretty much bullet proof providing they are maintained.

I'm not a fan of the petrol Generation 2's due to the fact that the engines in these up to about mid 2010 were rank. They suffered from various faults from timing chain tensioners, valve problems, carbon build ups and god knows what else. My mate had a 2006 petrol Generation 2 and it spent more time in the garage than on the road. The diesels on the other hand is a different story! Up to 2010 (I think) the diesels are 1.6 PSA which are Peugeot Hdi units and in all the years I have ran Hdi's I have never had any problems with them. I currently have 2 Clubmans thats are powered by 1.6 Hdi engines and they are perfect!

Finally Bini, re the faults listed you mention with the Clubman, I have 2 Clubmans, One with 130,000 miles and one with 43,0000 miles and none have any of the problems you note and the clutches are still original.

My maintenance standards are high on my cars and anyone on the forum who knows me personally will testify to this, so this is probably why I don't seem to suffer some of the same problems as others do as I'm a firm believer of preventative maintenance.

My advice to anyone buying a MINI is to either buy a face lift 2004+ generation 1 or if your wanting a diesel then go for a generation 2. The PSA and BMW engines are both pretty good reliable units but if its a petrol you want then go for a 2010 upwards.
Ofcourse the gearbox oil isn't life time.. This is my issue with the brand, they **** up, lie to their customers and don't rectify their mistakes. Mini Coopers Misrepresent 'Lifetime' Transmission Fluid, Lawsuit Claims - ABC News

I agree with your comment up to a point, you have impeccable maintenance standards, and this should be taken into consideration when buying a used MINI however I disagree on the fundamental basis that a car should not have be babied like the Mini does. Driving a car hard isn't an excuse for it to die prematurely.

No offence but many cars get beaten and thrashed on for years and live on. The cars made by MINI themselves are fragile (to be kind). My father's e60 530d has now done 204000 miles, hes an area manager and has to travel long distances. The car was bought second hand in 2008 (being a 55 plate) from a young Asian chap up in Bradford, I'm sure he drove it like a vicar lol... Its done a lot of trans European trips, including the notorious autobahn where I'm sure its been driven at just over tick over revs lol. I'm not claiming 204k is an achievement, as I'm sure you can find far higher mileage examples with original box and engine.

My father doesn't have impeccable maintenance records, the car still drives nice and has plenty of power. Its on original clutch, gearbox, engine, drive line etc which is why he cant get his around the state of my car.
He hasn't had any mechanical faults on the car apart from a DPF regen when he worked in London and the hand brake adjustment done (as well as service items obviously). What I am trying to get at, is that 150k on original box isn't some sort of achievement that should be the norm. I'm not claiming BMWs are reliable cars but none of them have gearbox failures as a common fault never mind ridiculously low mileages, or clutches or steering racks and columns or sub frame bushes, or cv joints or timing chain issues at least not his year of production. They're raced and thrashed especially by motorway police. I know to some extent BMWs aren't reliable the statistics back this up. They do have electrical gremlins in the shape of sensors that fail. However its nothing that will stop it from driving unlike...;)

I have outlined my opinions of the brand, their cowardliness to admit errors and rectify them and their major engineering flaws, which I believe a first time buyer should be notified of. Certain items are manufactured to fail, its as simple as that. When you fit a clutch that belongs on a fiat panda on a Mini, that clutch will burn out. Now that's where I stand.

So please forgive me for the rant but I do get annoyed when some people misrepresent a brand as being reliable based on their experiences when the statistics does not back this up. The internet is there for general knowledge but its also there for statistical analysis and for drawing educated conclusions from reliable sources.

In my humble opinion MINI still have teething issues, but its still quite an achievement to relaunch a brand only 15 years ago and come to this point in time with the cars they've got but they genuinely don't give 2 ***** about customers.

I for one will NEVER buy one again, I did consider PCP plans- bare that in mind.

Edit: He had rear wheel bearings done at 185k, my faut pas.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Too be honest Bini ive never had major problems with my car.

Just because your car was neglected it is no reason to completely discard the brand.

My gearbox has 110000 miles still original
The only issue is a worn out shifter linkage bushing which I am fixing.

My maintenance standerd's are also high

Not a direct quote but as SeanC said parts are readily available from aftermarket stores and websites you don't have to fork out for genuine parts.

Also the lying is I admit not on but many manufactures do this?
Tell me 1 manufacturer that doesn't say gearbox oil is for life.

I've owned two minis a 2003 Cooper s
And now a 2002 one

I put 60000 miles on my Cooper s and didn't get a peep out of the engine I sold her with 103.000 miles.

And CLUTCHES EVERY 5k must of been people who drove with their clutches half depressed.

I would take Parkers and other so called automotive reviewers with a pinch of salt.

Most of the people that do the reviews are people who expect cars to last forever without care and then complain when they go wrong.

Good luck with your next purchase..

Cheers hw

Also mini is a BMW and at some point in the thread you were talking up a 5 series and ranting about a mini.

And as you say most people do thrash their cars but how do you know what repairs they have had??

All cars have issues now matter how credible the brand. And the statistics are mostly off the Internet so don't go judging a brand because you had a bodge job car which was sold by a total ****er dealer

Wait until you own a few cars from so -called

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
An e60 and an R50 isn't really a fair comparison as they are 2 completely different cars and brands. MINI is a brand in its own right built under licence of BMW. There is a thread ongoing here of a chap in the states with an R50 that's clocked up 600,000 miles :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Yes Howard or hws has 600 000 miles.

The particular thread you are referring to was started by a user Aprilwhine I hope I've spelt that right :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes Howard or hws has 600 000 miles.

The particular thread you are referring to was started by a user Aprilwhine I hope I've spelt that right :)
600k eh? if you'd be so kind please link a url to this thread. Personally, I don't like MINI because they don't do recalls even when they know the major faults which can potentially kill their owners exist, they simply brush it off unlike BMW cars who actually do care about customers and will do recalls. its strange because it appears BMW care about their customers but the department MINI does not despite the association.

I'm impressed that you've had a good run mini2002. Personally I'm p***** off with the brand for their behaviour. I'm not entirely convinced that they can make reliable, low maintenance cars. The customer service from the dealers simply isn't there. I love how you keep bringing up my car despite me telling you that our 2007 Cooper had issues as well, a car with full dealer history.

I'll simply say this.. All cars have issues, but they're not as major as MINI issues. The manufacturers deal with them, the first gen jazz has EPS and gearbox issues the dealers fixed this for cars up to 6 years old as a good will gesture, why didn't MINI replicate the same? They know that the cars are **** and they'll break again so they decided not to waste money and embarrass themselves when replacement stuff started failing again besides they've already got your money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, so much negativity, I'm new to this forum but have spent the last 7yrs on the disco 3 and freel 2 forums, and the members on there had their fair share of issues their fair share of dealer issues. From this i have drawn the conclusion that cars have faults some cars have more faults than others and the dealers some call stealers can be really bad and some can be really good.

We had minis as pool cars where i worked i took em on site ran em round the country some had 130-150k miles on em i found em very reliable. just my 2 penneth.

hope the op isn't scared off by the odd rant.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like BINI has had a pretty bad experience. But there is little point in taking to heart anything he says. ::frown::

Look its simples. Its almost impossible to buy a crap car these days. Back in the 70's you could buy a brand new Lancia with terminal rust showing through the shiny white paintwork. Any Alfa Romeo Boxer engine would need the carbs balancing at least every fortnight and god help you if you needed to start it in the damp winter time.
If you bought an Austin Mini you would almost certainly have had to replace the rear subframe after 5 years or so. After 7 years the bulkhead would have rusted through where the air vents are.

Cars have come a long way. Manufacturers give better and better warranties (7 years on my wife Kia Sportage), and new materials and treatments rot far less than ever before.
Engines/Transmissions have also come a long way. They have however become far more complex machines, using electronics and previously unheard of valves and turbos to get the most out of your fuel of choice.

This means their maintenance is a little more involving than vehicles from 30-40 years ago. If you buy a car that has been poorly maintained (Bini is a good example) you have only yourself to blame. It's not rocket science. Maintain the car like it should be and it will live beyond the Warranty period. Once beyond it why should the manufactured give a damn? Why should they give you anything at all. They guarantee a mechanical and electronic moving machine for at least 3 years. It's an incredible gamble that manufacturers take. Who's to say you wont drive everywhere in 2nd gear, redlining the engine for hours on end. Who's to say you won't slip the clutch or drop it at every traffic light. Who's to say you won't wash winter salt off the underside after a stretch on salted UK roads. You can't even get a 3 year warranty on most Radios or iPods!! Cmon Guys play fair.

If you look after your car you will enjoy it. I have a 2007 Mini Cooper S Clubman, allegedly the worst of all the minis to own. Ive topped up the oil with fully synthetic oil every weekend and I've washed and waxed it too. I drive it like I love it, and occasionally like I stole it and it has been the most enjoyable of cars. I've invested a small amount in replacement bulbs and made some modest Modifications. Its reliability is on a par with every other car I've owned over the past 20 years. Its never let me down and I've never worried about BMW parts being more expensive than Ford parts. Of course they are. You can't buy a Princess for Whore money. If cheap repairs and parts are your thing, go drive a Ford Fiesta like every one else, enjoy its clacky plastic trim, its road noise and the feeling that a strong wind could blow you off the road. If you want a small car, with heritage, desirability, head turning ability and individuality then a Mini is perfect. Don't worry about reports of "unreliability" its nonsense. Research the models available, choose the spec you would like and go out there and buy it. If you're concerned about anything insist on an aftermarket warranty and full service history.

Oh and to answer your questions:

1) I'm 6' and mine has the panoramic sunroof! Ive got loads of head room and I'm very comfortable driving it.

2) I have a 7 year old, an 11 year old, a wife and a cockapoo!! All fit no problems.

3) Mine has 58K on it, 1600cc turbo, I'd be realistic and expect a new turbo about 80K, timing chain any time now and I'd expect to pay a bit for them. Not Bothered!! Its my Mini I love it

4)You only ever read about the problems, no one ever posted about "How Wonderful my car is" on a forum designed to help owners solve problems

5) my clubby is first run. So far so good. BMW spend an enormous amount on R+D For example. In the 1990's when the new 5 series was launched they spend more money on R+D of its front wishbone suspension that Land Rover did on the R+D of the entire Discovery vehicle.

BAEUSDAD, get out there and enjoy! you only have the one life. Spend it happy::wink::

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sounds like BINI has had a pretty bad experience. But there is little point in taking to heart anything he says. ::frown::

Look its simples. Its almost impossible to buy a crap car these days. Back in the 70's you could buy a brand new Lancia with terminal rust showing through the shiny white paintwork. Any Alfa Romeo Boxer engine would need the carbs balancing at least every fortnight and god help you if you needed to start it in the damp winter time.
If you bought an Austin Mini you would almost certainly have had to replace the rear subframe after 5 years or so. After 7 years the bulkhead would have rusted through where the air vents are.

Cars have come a long way. Manufacturers give better and better warranties (7 years on my wife Kia Sportage), and new materials and treatments rot far less than ever before.
Engines/Transmissions have also come a long way. They have however become far more complex machines, using electronics and previously unheard of valves and turbos to get the most out of your fuel of choice.

This means their maintenance is a little more involving than vehicles from 30-40 years ago. If you buy a car that has been poorly maintained (Bini is a good example) you have only yourself to blame. It's not rocket science. Maintain the car like it should be and it will live beyond the Warranty period. Once beyond it why should the manufactured give a damn? Why should they give you anything at all. They guarantee a mechanical and electronic moving machine for at least 3 years. It's an incredible gamble that manufacturers take. Who's to say you wont drive everywhere in 2nd gear, redlining the engine for hours on end. Who's to say you won't slip the clutch or drop it at every traffic light. Who's to say you won't wash winter salt off the underside after a stretch on salted UK roads. You can't even get a 3 year warranty on most Radios or iPods!! Cmon Guys play fair.

If you look after your car you will enjoy it. I have a 2007 Mini Cooper S Clubman, allegedly the worst of all the minis to own. Ive topped up the oil with fully synthetic oil every weekend and I've washed and waxed it too. I drive it like I love it, and occasionally like I stole it and it has been the most enjoyable of cars. I've invested a small amount in replacement bulbs and made some modest Modifications. Its reliability is on a par with every other car I've owned over the past 20 years. Its never let me down and I've never worried about BMW parts being more expensive than Ford parts. Of course they are. You can't buy a Princess for Whore money. If cheap repairs and parts are your thing, go drive a Ford Fiesta like every one else, enjoy its clacky plastic trim, its road noise and the feeling that a strong wind could blow you off the road. If you want a small car, with heritage, desirability, head turning ability and individuality then a Mini is perfect. Don't worry about reports of "unreliability" its nonsense. Research the models available, choose the spec you would like and go out there and buy it. If you're concerned about anything insist on an aftermarket warranty and full service history.

Oh and to answer your questions:

1) I'm 6' and mine has the panoramic sunroof! Ive got loads of head room and I'm very comfortable driving it.

2) I have a 7 year old, an 11 year old, a wife and a cockapoo!! All fit no problems.

3) Mine has 58K on it, 1600cc turbo, I'd be realistic and expect a new turbo about 80K, timing chain any time now and I'd expect to pay a bit for them. Not Bothered!! Its my Mini I love it

4)You only ever read about the problems, no one ever posted about "How Wonderful my car is" on a forum designed to help owners solve problems

5) my clubby is first run. So far so good. BMW spend an enormous amount on R+D For example. In the 1990's when the new 5 series was launched they spend more money on R+D of its front wishbone suspension that Land Rover did on the R+D of the entire Discovery vehicle.

BAEUSDAD, get out there and enjoy! you only have the one life. Spend it happy::wink::
A new turbo on a well maintained car at 80k screams quality and reliability lol. Whats the point in a chain driven engine if the timing chain goes at 60k? You might as well have a belt driven engine. I know my rant was a bit OTT but I did make valid points to some extent. Why do you have to top up your oil very couple of weeks on a car that's only done 58k?A MINI isn't cheap to buy in the first place, so its a bit disappointing if I'm honest.

FYI I wouldn't go criticising the road holdings of a car at the top of its class, its seldom wise to do so.

I am rather fond and defensive of my car but I'm not delusional about bodged parts that MINI put in their cars however, they must be doing something right, despite not making any financial sense, my heart tells me that I should spend £2000-£2500 quid fixing mine and keeping it on the road instead of investing in something more sensible. I know it'll break again and cost me an arm and a leg when it does, but I don't care because I love it lol.

But please don't pretend that the MINI is some kind of reliable car brand and only badly maintained ones have serious mechanical failures and not due to manufacturer faults (as is evident with first gen and yours to some extent);this may mislead first time buyers and telling first time buyers that common faults are non-sense is straight up fraudulent. They're not isolated faults, they're common faults for a reason, they affect a large enough percentage of the cars sold and on MINI's they're usually serious, mechanical and expensive. Just do a comparison of common faults with similar cars in class.

No matter how much you're committed to your car or love your car, don't lie to make a point of it. :) As bad as the first gen cars were, BMW got the engines right. Mine, with 135k on the clock has never had the chain tightened or replaced, tensioners replaced etc, common sense dictates something went wrong in the manufacture of the engines in your generation, people didn't start getting lead footed or primitive with servicing lol. Its not rocket science! Its quite clearly manufacturer error and shoddy parts.

Rather lost in my rant, I did tell the OP to check for history, have a professional inspection done and check to see if any common issues have been dealt with accordingly in the past. My rant wasn't about the clubman but MINI durability as a whole, I fail to see where this is considered bad advice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts