MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a 2014 model for £8k done 36k miles and the seller said it's got "the new engine type" 183bhp. Anyone know what this means? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I have seen a 2014 model for £8k done 36k miles and the seller said it's got "the new engine type" 183bhp. Anyone know what this means? Thanks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_B48
the above link has spec info etc,
the early engines were subject to a recall on crankshaft thrust bearing and wear, stronger engine than the vti shared french engines, clean oil half the service times do oil flush ever other service and cataclean at mot time keeps them clean and with cataclean in system while on emission gass machine will go through near zero readings, bmw petrol engine and diesel engines dont avoid timing chain issues around 80-100k depending on how been treated and service and correct oil and level all the time, still a better engine than the vti by far,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads up on that. When I'm viewing a car is there a way to tell from the engine number or what that this is the latest engine?

Also, are the timing belts rubber ones or chains?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on that. When I'm viewing a car is there a way to tell from the engine number or what that this is the latest engine?

Also, are the timing belts rubber ones or chains?
bmw dont use belts its chains i've not seen many of the newer petrol engines with failures yet will be interesting to see in the future how soon they start dropping with timing chains or if finally bmw have been brave and fixed the issues,, when bmw changed from the m47 to the n47 diesels then mounted timing chain at rear of engine used some cheap rubbish chains that barely lasted 60k and had thousands of claims against them even at british tv watch dog on them,, i do see a number of the 2005-2011 petrol bmw engines with around 100k with timing chain warning signs ie noises and lack of grunt dodgy idle and eating upstream 02 sensors etc, guess this is a price we all pay for low emission laws and a number of car makers making cars to a weight and thinking saving a few grams on the timing chain is a good idea,, hmmm maybe it is for them ie car runs ok until after the warranty runs out. car driven at low revs all of its life will have less wear less risk of chain issues, higher revs more wear more problems later in its life. rule of thumb for me treat the chains like belts change them every 70k as a precaution and it keeps it all running well.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Mike, entirely agree to change but at 55k being a more sure point. Must do my micra soon.
chances are anyones car will last 80-120k miles but there are way to many failures at well under this i'm seeing cars with as low as 50k miles with snapped chains on all makes of cars,, but these vti engines and bmw n47 diesels have issues to the point i will never buy a car that has a timing chain mounted on the rear of the engine so as to force anyone replacing it to either remove the gearbox or remove the engine from the car to replace it.
BBC One - Watchdog - BMW deny engine failures are due to manufacturing fault
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQpQIi7gI_U
check out these two links,, this is same n47 diesel as in the latest bmw designed engines n47 timing chains at rear and a known problem they wear out,, bmw are nuts they had a total peach of a engine it was the m47 had chain at front chains last 150k easy bullet proof,, they then redesign it call it the n47 and ruin it,, all about robbing the customer with visits for worn out parts made from plastic and god knows what metal more like chocolate

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So bit confused now, just to confirm I am looking at a petrol model Cooper s circa 2013/14. Do these have the timing chain at the rear?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
So bit confused now, just to confirm I am looking at a petrol model Cooper s circa 2013/14. Do these have the timing chain at the rear?
MINI Cooper Timing Chain Issues | Autoworks :: Blog
above link covers the engine before vti prince engine, you will notice bmw refuse to agree their is a issue,, even when the amount of failures are very in everyones face,, the new engines are new still dont have the mileages yet so will not show until they do.. my point is when buying a product off a company that is in denial about a past major problem is a gamble so by seeing the t/chains as a added expense in the future as part of a long term service plan is a good move,, my point with the n47 diesel engine ie bmw engine is that also has a massive failure rate and is produced by bmw the same bmw that refuses to accept there is a problem and blames the customer for failures. all ready there is a recall for crankshaft thrust bearing problems with new engines, thats very serous to think they have release a new design to market place with a fault that can destroy the engine from the off.
this all said if car has low miles and a good warranty that covers all the issues then it dont ,matter to the owner so much. i've owned bmw products since the late 80's still have a 96 m3 evo that is totally un breakable since then bmw have lost the plot cars getting lighter and more powerful using plastics and all about emissions and mpg just makes any car weak and high wear parts wear out faster,,, my e36 270.000 mile same engine same timing chain same gearbox. had 1 clutch in its life,, my 100k mini 2nd engine second flywheel 3rd turbo, and i service everything on a half the factory recommendations,

yes the timing chains are at rear of engine, 3 cylinder and 4 cylinder engines both run double vvt with twin scrol turbo. also both have ballance shafts these put extra load on the chains depending where they are run from,, volkswagon audi down this in oil pumps and that never worked out well for them and the customers, another big prestige car company saying there is not as issue but the amount of failures would say otherwise

1 - 9 of 9 Posts