MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,
i'm looking at getting one of these neat little cars. I've loved the new Mini's but had to refrain from the urge as I'm a musician and my gear would never fit in one. Until now !

I went to the dealer with my guitars, amp and pedal board and loaded the Clubman up. Fitted nicely!!

A couple of questions. The flat load floor is an optional extra, at $400, for nothing more than a few pieces of carpeted wood. Has anyone managed to make their own, or is there aftermarket 3rd party ones available? $400 is extrememly excessive for what would be less than $50 of material to make the floor flat-load.

Apart from the storage floor, I would love the Chilli model for stuff like the bi-xenon headlights that it offers but as I'd be going for the automatic which already adds a few grand to the price (and probably a sunroof too!), I just can't afford it. Are the standard headlights decent enough? Is there anything really major I'm missing out on by not getting it? I would be looking at getting the Cooper S Clubman, as I fear the non-turbo would be lousy in an auto.

Thanks
Dave

FYI for fellow muso's who are curious: With the seats folded down & the storage floor installed - the gear I managed to fit was a roadcase containing my pedal board ( it's a big pedal board - about 75cm x 50cm x 8cm), laying flat on the deck - on top of that my amp fitted which is a pretty decent sized single 12" combo valve amp/cabinet, lying on its back.. this pretty much took up most of the rear section of the cargo area, leaving a gap on one side of a few inches and a clearance to the exterior opening of quite a few inches. Meaning I could slide the straight out without juggling (as the exterior opening of the boot is smaller than the interior). Loading in and out was very easy and a quick ratchet strap over the top between two of the luggage hooks would secure easily. Two guitar cases (moulded strat case and a very bulky/padded protection racket gig bag) fitted in via the suicide door with ease. The moulded strat case fitted easily - the interior of the car is at least 4 inches wider than a strat case. The gig back had less clearance but as I said, it's a bulky case.

·
Loves the Fuzzy One
16,525 Posts
Welcome to MINI2 Dave! I have a clubbie with the regular headlights, they are plenty bright enough. The US models come with the flat floor, so can't help there. I took mine out though, the storage space under it was more useful than the flat floor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Dave,

I would try and schedule a test drive with a non S Clubman. That's all I have been interested in testing out, and I must say, they really do have power. Don't let the fact that there is no "S" in it's name fool you, for a 1.6L V4, it's got pep. Granted I did not compare it to an S, but from what some people have said here, some feel it's virtually the same. I would surmise that you feel the increased horse power more in the higher RPM's.

Despite all that, my MA (Motoring Advisor) told me it's a matter of taste and/or perference too.

Take care,
-A Fellow Dave :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
I use my wife's estate car for gigs (need to get my own bass gear plus the band's stage monitors in - won't fit in my MINI Cooper R56 hatch).

But it's amazing what I CAN get into the MINI hatch for rehearsals-

bass guitar in hard case
bass amp/speaker combo
2 'flight case' type boxes of odds and sods
soft bag for cables etc

and still room for a passenger!

Great to see some other musicians on the forum too!

SSL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers ...
guess i could try the standard cooper.. i'm just a bit wary, especially wanting it in automatic and i know how much the auto sucks out of it. ;-)

the cooper S in auto was really fun to drive and kinda makes it worthwhile (many have said getting a Mini in auto defeats the purpose LOL.).

·
Senior Clubber
64 Posts
I would go for the 'S'
I have the manual so not a proper comparison but I did drive a Cooper auto for a day and found that it needed to shift gears more than I would have expected although I do live in an area with plenty of hills -- Wales.
Check out the chilli pack, in the UK the flat load floor is part of the pack as are the Xenon's.

The standard lights are, IMHO, greta for flashing other Mini drivers but if you ever intend going out at night I would say that Xenons are a must.

Oh and do not forget the MFSW (cruise control) for those long trips back from the gigs

Regards

·
Registered
543 Posts
Check out the chilli pack, in the UK the flat load floor is part of the pack as are the Xenon's.

The standard lights are, IMHO, greta for flashing other Mini drivers but if you ever intend going out at night I would say that Xenons are a must.

Oh and do not forget the MFSW (cruise control) for those long trips back from the gigs

Regards
Dunno what options packs are offered in Australia but Xenons add £465 to a Chili Clubman in the UK. (Well worth it!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all.

I believe Cruise Control is standard on Clubman S models. (for the price, it had want to be!! as much as i love these cars, they are soooo expensive here in australia).

Can anyone tell me - how hard would it be to make my own flat load floor? naturally making it and carpeting it would be easy. One solid piece of timber would be fine, with a handle to facilitate lifting it up. The only question is, what is it mounted on and are the mountings already there in a car without the floor option ? That would obviously be the hardest part.. what does it sit on :)

thanks heaps
dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts