MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
zanhar25
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I washed my newly aquirred S today for the first time today and found that the rear bumper is somewhat flimsy at the bottom ,wthere are the fixings on the bottom that hold it all together so I can check that they haven't fell out,or are they all like this?
Regards Zanhar25 :red: :confused:

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
are you talking sort of round the exhaust area? mine's like that too, think that's just the way they are. not sure taking it through a car wash might be too sensible- i've managed to avoid it so far! i agree, it is fairly flimsy feeling, you would think they would have put a strut or some kind of support at it...

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
The true bumpers on all MINIs are aluminium fabrications bolted to the unibody. The plastic cover you are referring to is just that, a plastic cover.
Havent had to remove the rear one but if it is anything like the front one, it is held on by some clips along to top edge and at best four tiny screws.
They are kind of flimsy, but you will be glad they have "give" when you scrape something solid...........

·
Registered
411 Posts
Rear Bumper

zanhar25 said:
Hello all
I washed my newly aquirred S today for the first time today and found that the rear bumper is somewhat flimsy at the bottom ,wthere are the fixings on the bottom that hold it all together so I can check that they haven't fell out,or are they all like this?
Regards Zanhar25 :red: :confused:
I think it has something to do with impact absorbtion ,ie car park shunts . If it was stiff and not Flimsy it would just crack . The Body kit is even more flimsy .They are all like this :indi:

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
i had similar concerns regarding the looseness / flexibility of the rear bumper. I got mine checked and there is a tendancy for it loosen up. The bottom edge trims can come loose, my S had a missing screw. u can check this by looking under the trim. BWM told me that the reason for the flexibility thats present in the rear end is for shock absorption in the event of a rear impact. if i remember right it can absorb a 20mph rear impact without massive damage. But essentially the rear end hangs from 2 metal plates and does demonstrate a degree of flex rather than being tightly clamped down.

my advice if your worried take it to the dealer. hope that helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts