MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just picked up my new mini cooper d yesterday and am loving it. Thing is, this morning I went out and it was wet on the roads and on my first roundabout at about 25mph, the back end stepped out and the traction kicked in! It then did it on the next one.
Am I being to rough with a car maybe? I don't think i am as it's the same roads as I've always driven on in the wet in my other car (corsa vxr). It doesn't seem to do it on left hand bends, just right hand ones.
Maybe it's just new tyres and greasy roads but it scared the hell out of me. Any ideas? Any one else had this?
It has the sports suspension option on it.

Mike

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Be careful..... new car, new tyres, wet roads - accidents happen all too often.

Check your tyre pressures, make sure they're correct. The dealer should have done this, but you never know.

Also, do you have the runflat tyres fitted? If so, you'll never have as much grip in the wet as your old VXR did. The VXR has some very meaty rubber for the size of car, and the runflats won't be a patch on them ;)

Take it easy for a while until you're fully used to it ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'm quite experienced in a lot of cars and i've never felt it lose it like that on any car... i've got a feeling it could be just the tyre black they covered the wheels in when they valeted it though.

Not sure what tyres they are... probably are runflats. They are the standard 16's with the chilli pack.

Maybe ill wait for it to be dry and take it out for a good spin to wear the tyres in a bit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh and it's not my 'old' vxr... i still have that! I couldn't part with a fast car such as the vxr and buy a diesel cooper! lol
The cooper is used for work and commuting and the vxr is for the weekends and the other half! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have noticed the tail is quite mobile with the Cooper D. I collected mine on the 1st and took it easy while the tyres bedded in a bit. I have the Goodyear Excellence in 195/55R16 and having now covered around 1100 miles they seem to bite into the tarmac well on a wet road. Obviously when new, all tyres will have mould release on them and as such will be snappy and not progressive particularly in wet weather. Combined with the short wheelbase, this could provide a little too much entertainment.

When it was really new, the rebound damping seemed very stiff (to be expected) and this did lead to a little wheel patter incident, but nothing dangerous. The chassis is loosening up a bit now and it flows beautifully.

What did impress me was the degree of slip that the DSC allows without interrupting the fun. The car can just be balanced with the outside rear loaded up and the power on while the whole plot drifts gently around the curve with almost no steering applied after the initial nudge of opposite lock to set the yaw. A top grade chassis with a DSC system that is not a killjoy, a rare and beautiful thing in these nanny state days.

I wonder if the sport suspension has proportionately stiffer rear anti roll bar or similar making it more playful than the already highly adjustable standard setup?

EDIT:Just a thought, with the heavier lump of the diesel up front, is it the case that the car will wag its tail more easily than the petrol ones? I found keeping the foot in when it is getting sideways felt fine, lifting off felt a bit spooky.

Chris

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
With a front wheel drive car and the back end steps out, then accelerate and the car should straighten.

As the car is new the tires need to bed in before they grip properly. Another cause could be spilt diesel on the road as you were on a roundabout.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
It will almost totally be down to the size and type of rubber your running. BMW standard tyres are a run flat which means they have virtually no pliability on corners and tend to scate due to the stiff walls. The tread sections are rubbish at the best of time, but even more so in the wet. Added to this the tyres will be waxy as they are new, and will be narrower than your nice pliable VXR ones.

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
A rather stupid reply I'm afraid, and I would guess (or hope) it would be an impossibility with a new car, but are all the tyres fitted in the right direction?

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
oh and it's not my 'old' vxr... i still have that! I couldn't part with a fast car such as the vxr and buy a diesel cooper! lol
The cooper is used for work and commuting and the vxr is for the weekends and the other half! :)
Should have got a Cooper S! Easily manages 50mpg+ when cruising at 50-60mph. Actually the VXR is a good car, made even better by the fact you don't see many around. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Should have got a Cooper S! Easily manages 50mpg+ when cruising at 50-60mph. Actually the VXR is a good car, made even better by the fact you don't see many around. :D
I'm loving the corsa vxr... couldn't have 2 mini's though! It's not bad value either. If I got an S it would have to be the works with nav and chilli etc and then you are talking about 22k+

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It will almost totally be down to the size and type of rubber your running. BMW standard tyres are a run flat which means they have virtually no pliability on corners and tend to scate due to the stiff walls. The tread sections are rubbish at the best of time, but even more so in the wet. Added to this the tyres will be waxy as they are new, and will be narrower than your nice pliable VXR ones.
It's getting better after a few miles on dry roads (haven't had many since last week :( ).

My last mini had run flats.. although that was a cooper with 17" webs.

Tell you what though... i bet the mini tyres last more than 10k miles and don't cost £400 a pair! :aargh:

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
and the full leather, hi fi upgrade, etc etc, and soon you're paying £25k which is just stupid.

Also let the dealer know ASAP, if tyres, tyre pressures etc are ok, get the dealer to check the wheel alignment if it continues - they will do so for free if the car is new and very low mileage. Otherwise in the future it's a hefty £200 bill as the dealer uses lasers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts