MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,,,

try this and help me understand this!!

liverpool victoria - quotes me £700, on a mini cooper s, my own name, no other drivers, held lisence for 2 years, im 21, no no claims bonus, no accidents or mobdro.bio/ luckypatcher.tips/ www.kodi.bio/ convictions, based on a full time uni student, car value 10000, 9000 miles a year

then i tried to do the quote with my dad as the main driver and me 2nd driver, 43 years old, lisence over 10 years, 5 years protected no claims, self employeed, and they wont insure me because of my age :s im really confuzed here!!!

·
Sour Mash
1,323 Posts
It’s calculated on risk based on previous claims

So could well be that there were more claims from 21 yr olds who insured as named drivers with their parents than 21 yr olds who insured on their own

What’s it like with your dad as a named driver?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Did you get the quote from the same comapany?

As naming your dad as main driver on your second quote is not legal if you're driving the car most of the time. The insurance company might see this and gets flagged up.

You should instead put your dad as the 2nd driver and you as the main driver and see what qoute you get back.

£700 is not that bad for a 21 year old driving a cooper s.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Also try it using your uni residence address rather than your home address if you aren’t living at home in term time - there are high and low risk post codes as well as driver ages.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also try it using your uni residence address rather than your home address if you aren’t living at home in term time - there are high and low risk post codes as well as driver ages.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you successfully insure your dad as the main driver but you drive it the most (because it’s your car) then that is known as fronting and you might end up getting caught in the event you have to make a claim. Also because of your age they are probably not allowing you to be a named driver, I couldn’t add my daughters to my Cooper D Convertible when I had it as they were under 25.

Best thing to do is take the insurance out in your own name and start building your own no claims bonus, add your dad on as a named driver as that should reduce the premium. Where you live as well will make a huge difference, when my daughter moved from home (village) into a city her insurance almost doubled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts