MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only one years no claims in my own name, but have 5 + years as a named driver on very powerful cars.
Are there any particular insurance companies that will take this into consideration when quoting?

Thanks
Laura

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any Suggestions?
My 7 days free insurance runs out at the weekend, so only have a few days.
The quotes I am getting are fairly reasonable I suppose, but just wondering if there are any providers that will take driving history (but not in my name) into extra consideration?

Laura

·
Registered
54 Posts
i had the same sitution like you afew years ago, and insurance company told me that the points can only hold by policy holder not driver. so, unless they change policy now, otherwise i think it will be the same.

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
I think if you have been with directline as a named driver this can be carried across onto a directline policy but nowhere else.

Seriously, the money you've saved by being a named driver will outweigh the extra cost of insurance until you build up the no claims so I wouldn't complain. This is coming from someone who's had their own policy since 18, I remember paying £900 TPFT on a 10 year old Fiat Uno so from my point of view you should just bite the bullet. ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.
I am still a named driver on other cars, and will remain so. I already have a policy in my name, just a pain that with only one years no claims I get treated like a new driver when I have been driving for nearly 10 years and have been a named driver on all sorts.

Anyway, thanks again, I'll just keep ringing around.

Laura

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
I am still a named driver on other cars, and will remain so. I already have a policy in my name, just a pain that with only one years no claims I get treated like a new driver when I have been driving for nearly 10 years and have been a named driver on all sorts.

Anyway, thanks again, I'll just keep ringing around.

Laura
The reason why this is so is because too many people drive as named drivers but are the main user of the car and do the most mileage (and therefore should be the main driver as they are the main risk) and insurance companies bear more risk to £. When you want a policy of your own they get their own back and tar everyone with the same brush. Also if your a "named driver" then you won't be using the car much and gaining the road experience you would as a main driver hence why they see you as still a risk.

If you've been driving 10 years as a named driver I think you've got away with it enough ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason why this is so is because too many people drive as named drivers but are the main user of the car and do the most mileage (and therefore should be the main driver as they are the main risk) and insurance companies bear more risk to £. When you want a policy of your own they get their own back and tar everyone with the same brush. Also if your a "named driver" then you won't be using the car much and gaining the road experience you would as a main driver hence why they see you as still a risk.

If you've been driving 10 years as a named driver I think you've got away with it enough ;)
Yeah I see what you are saying. I am listed as the main driver on the 'named driver' policy but other providers obviously don't these things into account and tar everyone with the same brush as you said.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Try Car Insurance, Home Insurance, Travel Insurance, Life Insurance UK

I had the problem of getting a second car insured in my name & companies not allowing my 9 years NCB to be allowable on a second car. A ridiculous situation really. Endsleigh were the only ones who would credit my driving experience on a second policy. Whether they would help your situation or not is another matter, but worth a try

·
Registered
988 Posts
Try Co-op Insurance - I'm sure that's who I went with for my first insurance, and they took my 1 year as a named driver into consideration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts