MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 2011 Mini Cooper s r56 with a N18, and when I start it up in the morning there is a very loud hissing and blow off noise coming from my engine bay, and the idle is also super rough and choppy, and when I try to accelerate up to speed the car lags really hard and won’t let me speed up until I give it more gas and it can build up boost. The only mods I have done are- charge pipes, catless downpipe,catless exhaust, aem ram air intake. And the only parts I’ve replaced are - water pump, vanos solenoids, intake manifold gaskets, exhaust manifold and gasket, and downpipe gasket. I have spent a lot of money trying to fix it but I can’t seem to get it done… SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IT IS!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Impossible to say what it is, but it sounds like an air leak and you have changed the charge (boost) pipes so I'd start there (especially the jubilee clips).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Impossible to say what it is, but it sounds like an air leak and you have changed the charge (boost) pipes so I'd start there (especially the jubilee clips).
I took out the bypass valve and it wasn’t broken or anything and I can’t figure out the source

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
smoke test the system best way to find a leak , i bought one last year and have used it so many times on different stuff really useful tool to be honest

·
Registered
Mini Cooper S r56
14 Posts
Have you checked the valve/rocker cover for pressure leaks ? Unequal pressure caused by worn gaskets and usually oil leakege through the main gasket and coil/spark plug gaskets makes the engine rough and slow to respond at low revs. Also causes oil to leak from the valve area into the piston chambers. Check for any oil leaks around the cover edge. This was the problem with my S and I changed the gasket set in 1 hour and now runs great and only cost £16 for the gasket.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper S r56
14 Posts
This is what my engine looked like when i took the cover off , note the oil around the main edge and spark plug hole where the gaskets had worn out.
Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior Auto part Gas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts