MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what modifiations would be needed to increase the low end torque in the Mini One?

·
MINI2 Master BLASTER!!!!!
1,532 Posts
Apparently adding an induction, will make low end and mid range torque better depending on what you bue (K&N are usually very good), and you should get better throttle response....currently in my other thread, we are trying to find out whether the induction kit will affect warranty.

Changing the exhaust will also help with performance, but some exhaust lower the performance of the MINI so be careful.

A dvice called an ecotek, whichmakes a car alot more responsive, apparently it does the same job as a chip would but it isn't a chip, and it cos about £50, unfornutely after talking to my dealer this device invalidates the MINIs warranty. Try www.ecotekplc.co.uk or .com
Much more detail can be found here.

Hope I've helped

·
1,532 Posts
I meant to say "induction" kit at the top.
I'm sure you are also aware of chipping a car, but then again you have warranty issues, u can check out www.superchip.co.uk

Induction Kits and exhaust shouldn't affect the warranty for your car, its just that when those parts go wrong MINI or BMW wont fix em.

They don't affect insurance either! I think :)
Cheers

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that, but I think might be best if I wait until my warranty runs out or until BMW approved kits come out. Or should I just swap my One for a Cooper. Decisions :confused: .

·
1,532 Posts
Have you alradey got your MINI one? If its on order u might aswell change it. If you want more power, I'd go for the Cooper, otherwise you'll end up regretting your decison.

The chipped Mini by superchips is still slower than an un modified Mini Cooper.

But do have a good think about it.

Apparently K&N are desiging a MINI specific induction kit, and if it does affect warranty, which might be unlikely I'm not sure.....fitting and removal of the kit is a doddle, so come servicing time, just take it out and put your original induction kit back in.

This is what I'm gona do if warranty is affected, I'm hoping warranty won't be affected, as the kit itself helps to make the engine run more safely, effeciently, breath easier, thus causing the engine work less harder....which also helps to lower consumption of fuel, so in theory you should get a better mile per gallon figure.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had my MINI One since september, but it just needs a bit more acceleration at the bottom end of the rev range (2000rpm and below)

·
1,532 Posts
Your bes t bet would be an induction kit and exhaust, these 2 will probbaly set you about around £300, but are the only options that will help with performance, without affecting insurance.....a different exhaust won't affect the rest of the cars warranty, cos BMW won't warranty, but whoever you bought it from will, so thats ok.

But the warranty thing with the induction is is still in the air, in my opinion, I reckon you should get one as soon as they are available, and when the time comes for servicing at you local Beemer garage, take the kit out and put the old one back in, that way your warranty shouldn't be affected.

Currently these 2 things are probaly the most cost efficient plans which don't effect insurance, and shouldn't affect the warranty of the entire car.

Check out www.autofashion.co.uk they have a selection of things they have available and are currently working on for the NEW MINI.

Oh yeah I forgot u can always put in High Octane petrol (Super Unleaded) which at 78.9p per litre at my local Sainsbury's petrol station. What this stuff does is make the car perform better it adds a few BHP to it. But you do have fill you tank up and after half of its gone your ECU will have configured itself for the fuel, thuis u get better performance out of the car.....the cars throttle response increase, and the car runs smooter too, apparently cleans the engine too, so all in all its good stuff

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will it damage the engine if you keep swapping between unleaded and super unleaded? Does the ECU reconfigure itself each time?

·
1,532 Posts
No it won't damage the engine, say u use normal unleaded most of the time, when you put super unleaded in your engine will be cleaned out by it. So Super Unleaded is good for your engine, I think it says in the manual somewhere that using this type of fuel is preferred. U also get better consumption figures, thus increased mile to the gallon, but I don't know what the increase is.

Say you do alot of travelling, use the normal stuff, and on weekends fill it up with Super Unleaded, nice eh?

Yes the ECU will adjust each time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts