MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

I notice that the manual says the car has a "reserve" of 1.8 gallons.

Regarding all the hoo-haa we've been seeing with the fuel tanks, how far do you folks let the needle go downwards before re-fuelling?

Is the tank empty when the needle is at the underside of the red led or are people finding out that it can go quite a bit further?

Just thought I'd ask

Scott.

·
Registered
374 Posts
There is a thread on petrol tank capacity in the general forum. I filled up on Saturday when the needle was exactly on empty. I put 45 litres of fuel in, which in theory meant there was still 5 litres in the tank. Of course, each guage could be a bit different and there was a theory a while ago that the gauge was self-calibrating and would improve after a few fill-ups.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Red & White Cooper 2 said:
There was a theory a while ago that the gauge was self-calibrating and would improve after a few fill-ups.
Mine seems to have improved after the first few full tanks, but it still varies as to how much a 'full' tank will take.

I managed to drive from Sheffield to Leeds (about 40 miles? - 30 mins at 70mph) with the LED lit and the needle flat-lined. It was a pretty nerve wracking 30 mins though so I wouldn't recommend that you try it! :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Variability question

You say there was improvement after a few refills?

I wonder how much variability there is with these fuel gauges, from car to car and in the same car, from brand-new to run-in. I feel like when I do get mine, I'll have to learn to interpret my individual car's gauge. Drive around with a spare gallon in a plastic tank until the thing runs out completely. That way I could figure out what "7/8", "E", etc really means. But if the computer re-calibrates the gauge somehow, then I'd have to do it more than once.

It'd be nicer to not have to do it at all.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Minty said:
I always fill up just after the warning light comes on.........just to avoid any panic moments! :(
Me too;)

As for the tank being clever enough to be re-calibrated by the computer?..I don't think it's that smart to be honest. I read some time ago that when they started to trim costs in the design stage the fuel tank was one of the things that suffered. To the best of me knowledge the tank and the level gauge are moulded plastic components and plastic, by it's very nature, tends to need a little lubrication before it starts to 'give' a little.

My 1st 'full tank read as 7/8, the second tank took about £20 more fuel before clicking off and also read as 7/8. The third tank took far less petrol (in cash terms) but read full and has continued to do so ever since.

Although there'll be some quality control done by the suppliers of the tanks and gauges - I suspect plastic is one of those substances who's properties vary from batch to batch. On that basis I'd give it a good couple of months bedding in time before getting worried (and the spare canister of fuel in the boot would be a good idea in any case! ;);))

·
Registered
546 Posts
Inaccurate fuel gauges

The most popular MINI "fault" I think.

In a sample of 162 MINI owners, 29 complained that their gauge was inaccurate, a further 8 had gauges which had been inaccurate but had been cured by dealers, and 4 said their gauges were always OK. The remaining 121 said nothing at all about their gauges - probably 'cos they were too busy enjoying themselves. However, I suspect most pre-December 2001 MINI fuel gauges are a bit vague.

P.S. I'll get me coat (anorak).

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
198 Posts
november build mini

only done 800 miles (weekend car)

the 4th time i filled up the petrol gauge read full for the first time before it was about 5mm under the full mark

·
Registered
527 Posts
Lucky You Don't Own My MCS

Minty said:
I always fill up just after the warning light comes on.........just to avoid any panic moments! :(
:p First fill up for me was yesterday 2/9/02 and the red light had just come on and the guage needle was between empty and 1/4 tank so I figured looks like 40/42 litres will fill the beast up ..... SHOCK HORROR it took 49.80 litres! What was I running on air or vapour :confused:

Will checkout one more time and if it's the same deal I have my first small prob

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
For some reason I can't help but drive right to the bottom of the red line.

It does about 50 miles usually from when the light first comes on, haven't taken it any further although on the way back from Silverstone (Dinger behind me in a Focus) I managed to get all the way from before the Dartford Crossing back to Ashford doing roughly 90mph* all the way! :)

*Private roads of course ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Daro911:

Regarding your car taking over 49 liters and your conclusion that the Mini's fuel gauge is faulty, there's another more sinister explanation that is probably not the case but worth considering. I once saw a TV expose here in the States about a few shady petrol dealers who rigged their pumps to put out less than a gallon of gas for each gallon indicated on the pump. Then, when someone filled up with 10 gallons, the pump showed that they had put in more than ten gallons. It adds up to a huge profit for the petrol station over time. I don't think this practice is widespread, by any means. The pump could also be poorly calibrated by accident. Next time you are down the same amount on your Mini gauge, you might want to fill it up somewhere else and see if it takes 49 liters.

Paul

·
MINI2 Scooterist
744 Posts
I've got the trip computer on my MINI and when the petrol warning light comes on the OBC says I still have a range of beteen 50 and 60 miles. However I generally fill up just as the warning light comes on as I'm not too sure how accurate the the OBC is or for that matter how frequently it calculates the range.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Re: Lucky You Don't Own My MCS

daro911 said:

:p First fill up for me was yesterday 2/9/02 and the red light had just come on and the guage needle was between empty and 1/4 tank so I figured looks like 40/42 litres will fill the beast up ..... SHOCK HORROR it took 49.80 litres! What was I running on air or vapour :confused:
I filled up today, the OBC indicated I had 50 miles left but the pump gave me 50.76 litres to fill right up.

What is the capacity of the tank?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts