MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 3000 miles on my new Cooper S - and I decided to give a quick check of the oil today before I headed out on a 7.5 hour drive. Alas, I was in serious need of some oil. I am curious if this is something I should be concerned about, or if it is typical for new cars. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
440 Posts
My sister had to top up her BMW Z4 four times within about 6 months. The dealer said it was perfectly normal as the engine is so big that it takes a while for all the nooks and crannies to fill with oil. I would say a couple of top ups on the mini is nothing to worry about, any more than that then theres something not right. Just my opinion though, I'm no mechanic.

·
Deals Gap Junkie
411 Posts
Most engines will consume at least a tiny bit of oil - nothing to worry about.

When your new engine is breaking-in, it will consume more oil as the seals and rings seat, just top it off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Try to get hold of some MINI synthetic oil or, if that's not possible, a high-quality fully synthetic oil like Mobil 1 5W/30 (available from Halfords or Mobil garages).

·
Clubman D
1,365 Posts
MINI install Casrol SLX (NOT SLX II) at the factory, 0w 30. This is a synthetic oil, and synthetic should be used to achieve the 'extended' drain intervals. It should read Bmw Longlife '01 on the bottle. Its better to get the correct stuff to avoid ANY confusion over warranty issues that may occur.
Getting back to the low oil on your MCS, I have heared MCS owners complaining about this before, and it was the fact that they could not see the clean oil on the Yellow dipstick. I would check this bofore you start pouring a litre of oil in it!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I noticed that my oil level went down a bit (once it got darker and I could see it ;) ) but lately it hasn't been going down as much. I've got a little over 4400 miles on my 2005 MCS and while I had been checking after every fill-up, now I'm more relaxed. I also make sure I check it after it's sat about 10 minutes ( I actually set the kitchen timer when I come in) after driving. Think the manual says about 5 minutes, which I find goes by way too fast - feels a bit over-obsessive. :rolleyes:

I do think I'm going to buy some "official" oil so that I have it on hand in case I feel I need it on a long trip.

·
Registered
43 Posts
oil's well!!!

:p

Hi Shijinmini!

When I took delivery of my 05 MCS, my MA (and dealer, I suppose) was kind enough to include a quart of MINI oil in a MINI case for such things.

I guess they know about the oil consumption after break-in. :eek:

hey,
duard​

·
Registered
765 Posts
Don't worry about oil use during break-in. I put half a litre in my MC at about 3000 miles and after that it has never required topping up.

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
I had to put a quart in at 6000miles. The oil that was on the dipstick was very black and very low.

Luke

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's quite normal for a car to consume some oil, especially during the run-in period (in fact it's probably abnormal if it doesn't).

Always check that the oil has first reached normal operating temperature (depending on ambient temp. this can take longer than you think, at least 10 miles to be safe), then make sure you park on level ground and allow sufficient time for the hot oil to drain back (5 mins or more).

Depending on how you drive you can accelerate the build-up of moisture and oil decomposition by-products in the oil itself giving the appearance that the oil level isn't actually dropping (e.g. repeated stop-go short trips in cold weather, would be a prime example). The results of this can be rather disconcerting if you then go on an extended trip (e.g. motorway speeds) or do some rather spirited driving...and find that the level has dropped like a stone as the moisture in the oil evaporates.

·
Registered
700 Posts
If your car is losing an excessive amount of oil (or any other fluid), this easy trick will tell you if it a LEAK, and not consumption:

Take a long piece of cardboard or similar material, cut it to fit under your car, and place it beneath the car overnight after a good drive. If you see stains on it in the morning, note the position of the stain and track down the source of the leak.

Sometimes, "oil consumption" can be cured by tightening a loose oil pan bolt, or something equally as easy.

Always check the easiest stuff first. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I picked up my 05 MCS Friday (Electric Blue, white roof, white mirrors, and white 17 inch 8 spokes – love it) and put 300 miles on it over the weekend. Never over 4500 RPM and varied the speeds as recommended. However, I checked the oil and was down halfway on the yellow marker. Yes, I could see the clean oil. This was very surprising.

I replaced most of what was lost (approximately 6 ounces) and checked it again tonight after 75 more miles (375 total) and it’s down slightly. My sales rep. said there is a difference between warm oil and cold. I checked it warm tonight and will check it again in the morning to see if there is any difference.

Anyone out there heard of oil changing the reading based on its temperature? I know this sounds silly, but I’d like to hear your opinions. I’m sure it does on a molecular level, but not enough to change the reading on the dipstick! :confused: :eb:

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
Most MINI's in my expeerience use a little oil when new and need to be topped up. After that you should be right. Your dealer should top it up for you. :)

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
MKS Mini said:
Anyone out there heard of oil changing the reading based on its temperature? I know this sounds silly, but I’d like to hear your opinions. I’m sure it does on a molecular level, but not enough to change the reading on the dipstick! :confused: :eb:
I don't think so... :rolleyes: However, it does take time for the oil to move down from the top of the motor. So, if you check hot you will appear to have a little less oil than when cold when all the oil has drained back to the sump. Also, unless the surface you're checking on is flat you might get different readings. :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last night I said I checked the oil level after the car was warmed up (flat surface and after waiting 15 minutes). The level was half down the dipstick. I checked it again this morning before start up (our temp. was about 65 degrees F) and it was back up to the top. Seems as though this engine requires a lot of time for the oil to drain (or it increases in volume after cooling off?).

Thanks for the responses. If figure I out exactly I’ll get back online and explain.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
MKS Mini said:
Last night I said I checked the oil level after the car was warmed up (flat surface and after waiting 15 minutes). The level was half down the dipstick. I checked it again this morning before start up (our temp. was about 65 degrees F) and it was back up to the top. Seems as though this engine requires a lot of time for the oil to drain (or it increases in volume after cooling off?).

Thanks for the responses. If figure I out exactly I’ll get back online and explain.

So, then, there was really no oil loss? :confused: Or was it full again because of what you added to it? :confused:

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
MKS Mini said:

It takes a long time for the oil to drain down.

There might be some small expansion of the oil, but it would be minimal. In a car that takes 5l of oil like the MINI, the dipstick calibration usually accounts for about 1l. So, it would be pretty remarkable if it was expanding that much. :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think I have figure this one out!!

When the engine is hot and I remove the dipstick (after a 10 minutes or so has passed) I am careful to not spill oil off the stick, so I end up taking my time (not really long, but deliberate). What happens is the oil on the stick sags down during the time it takes to remove it. I then tried removing the dipstick faster and quickly putting it in a horizontal position for checking and found that the oil was where it needed to be!!!

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
ALL engines consume oil. The harder stick you give them, the more oil they consume. Checking your oil level should be done often (do as I say, not as I do) specially if you drive it like you stole it. Old ladies also should check their oil, though less often.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts