MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Man in the know!
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if any one else has had there light come on yet??

Mine has come on twice now, both times i was on the motorway, travelling at about 85mph.

The first time i was very concerned, pulled over, checked the tyres, all fine..........read the manual..........the sensors can be set of by certain road surfaces (presumably to do with resonance?)
The second time was yesterday, on the way to the dogs meeting. Again at the same speed - different bit of the motorway.

Any one else had this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine came on once - car fully loaded with two people and luggage, loading up the tyres nicely on the fast sweepers south of Lyon.

Stopping revealed the pressures to be fine, albeit higher all round due to the tyre temperatures being higher.

When I got home I lowered the tyre pressure all round (from 29 to 27 or whatever it's supposed to be). Doing this didn't have any effect on the indicator - presumably because it looks at the tyre pressures relative to each other.

I think the Low Pressure Indicator is a nasty little gadget that gives me zero confidence. There's no substitute for checking the pressures yourself at least once a week with a decent gauge.

Just my two pen'worth.

JT

·
Registered
33 Posts
The same thing has just happened to me at the weekend. I drove down to the south coast on friday, and it was the first lengthy motorway journey I have done in the MINI. After approx 40 miles on the M40, the tyre pressure indicator light came on. I stopped at the services and checked the pressure of all 4 tyres - they were all the same and slightly higher than when cold. I phoned MINI emerg Service for an opinion in case it was a common problem and was told that the sensor may have become dislodged on an uneven road surface (surely not?). On starting the car, the light was off and stayed off for another 50 miles or so, then came on again on the M25. I ignored it this time as I was sure that there was nothing wrong with the pressure of any of the tyres relative to each other. On arrival, again nothing wrong. On the way home I took the scenic route and avoided all motorways and obviously drove at much lower speeds. No flashing light this time (or since). Has anyne got any idea what could be causing this? If the sensor is faulty, why would it only happen at "motorway" speeds?

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is no sensor in the wheels!
It works by comparing the wheel speed of the diagonal sides!
So it's not as correct as on higher budget BMW

Chris

·
Registered
941 Posts
I think you're right Minty. Never happened in my One though...but then again I never ever drove above 85. :rolleyes: yeah right! :D

BTW yeah you're right, oooooooooooold thread!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes - me too ( three times)

Yep - it's happened to me three times at speeds of 70mph+ on the motorway. No problem after I've stopped and then restarted.

Trouble is, I now won't believe the warning light when it goes on again...........

·
Registered
246 Posts
My warning light came on at 40mph at a regular stretch of road I use. Stop the car and check the tyres and they are fine. The Hazard light never returned (can't remember whether I reset the system).

Anyway, I had my car go in for the "drive straight" fix and the lady dealing with me said I had a flat tyre, I quized her about my tyre sensor, and why did it not come back on warning me! She asked the mechanic who said there is a malfunction on the sensor!

Hmmm well I never changed the tyre (£138 each), and its been fine! hmmm not even flat! If I beleived her that my tyre was flat I would have replaced a perfectly fine tyre, and that would have really peeeeed me off!

·
Registered
6 Posts
light on same road each morning

Hi for the past week my trye warning light has been coming on on the same section of road on my way to work. The first time it happened I checked the pressures and they were fine. When I switched on again the light went out. It now happens every day. I now dip the clutch, turn the engine off, and quickly restart. The light goes off again.( i am careful not to let the steering lock!) The road is a wee bit bumpy and the front tyres are barely legal, so maybe the slight difference in diameter between front and rear wheels is enough that the front wheels are rotating a bit faster than the rear and this sets off the light. I remember reading that the light worked off the ABS system and couldn't work out how. But comparing the wheell speeds as mentioned in an earlier thread explained it. (a flat tyre has a smaller diameter)

On another note what is the best price that anyone has for standard Mini one tyres, I have found Dunlops for £120 a pair.

Thanks

Alan

·
Registered
137 Posts
My tyre light started blinking today when crawling slowly thru city traffic. The tyres all look fine...I'll check them later on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I checked my tyre pressures and they were all pretty down (it's been a while!!) but one was 0.2 bar lower than the other 3. Do you think this could be what triggered the light? It all seems fine again now.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
dpms2 said:
I checked my tyre pressures and they were all pretty down (it's been a while!!) but one was 0.2 bar lower than the other 3. Do you think this could be what triggered the light? It all seems fine again now.
Sounds like the system did its job. One of your tires had less pressure, and therefore rotated faster than its peers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Same thing, but already know why (almost), the FLAT TIRE + ABS + DSC lights go STEADY ON when I turn the wheel all they way LEFT, it seems that has something to do with the steering column. Anyone can confirm ? Any quick solution (I rather fix it my self faster than go to the dealer and wait 2+ days).

MINI FAN

·
Registered
790 Posts
My light has come on twice. Once before a tire went flat, and just the other morning on the first drive after I swapped my snow tires on. I reset it and it hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
35 Posts
my light came on this morning - well below freezing outside. the first 3 tires i checked were all normal, and i was sure the feature was defective, until i checked the 4th tire and had the service station pull the nail out of my tire. if it hadn't been for that sweet little flat tire feature i'd have frozen me :bad::bad::bad::bad: off!

·
Two MINI Family
428 Posts
Road conditions could be the cause

My light has come on periodically. The first time was within 5 days of delivery and the tire pressures were fine and even all around. I called the dealer and they explained that it can sometimes be activated if you accelerate off gravel/rocks or a dirt road. Apparently, if one of the tires begins rotating faster than the others, this can turn on the light.

Sure enough, I had pulled out of a gravel driveway onto the highway just before the light came on.

·
BarWeetGarNarWeetNinnyBon
2,598 Posts
My light was flashing today. I got out and the tyres seem fine. How long does it take before the tyre goes down?

Regards

·
Rattle, Rattle, Rattle...
44 Posts
I don't trust the tyre pressure system at all either. In 12 months I've had 1 puncture detected properly, 3 false alarms and 1 almost flat tyre that wasn't detected (was down to 7 PSI and I spotted it whilst filling up).

I must say that the Goodyear funflats seemed to cope very with being driven all the way from Birmingham to Leicester and back at such low pressure....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts