MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
evenin all!!

Ive got some 18'' Alpina Dynamics on my S and wanted it slighty lower. BUT had 2 mates in the back the other night and it rubbed like a bugga.
If i lower it, obvoiusly it will get worse but will it rub with 1 paaesnger aka the missus in it.
the tyres are 215 40 18. so i could get a lower profile tyre i spose?

Martin....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like a plan then. would u say the ride was bumpy?. don't want to feel my teeth rattle ova every bump lol.

·
CHEQUE IT OUT
195 Posts
more bouncy not really bumpy, if i was you, just noticed you have an aero kit go for 20mm springs as your front bumper is lower than mine and has a bigger lip you will be screwed at speed bumps,
you will more than likely get nearer 30mm drop anyway with 20mm and they do compress.
i have 40mm drop with 30mm springs.:)

post some pics of your car anyway pal

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeh ok il try to. do Eibach do 20mm springs. i didnt think you could get springs that only went 20mm?

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
im on 18s myself with a 215x35x18 tyre. Dropped about 43mm or so with eibach springs.

I scrape on everything but it looks good, and i mean the front bumper not the arch. My arch has never once been touched with the tyre because im on a 35 tyre. The top of the tyre and a bit of the wheel has gone into the arch before and still not touched

I would recommend going for a 215x35 tyre though mate, keep the speedo right and reduce the rubbing :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what about going for 17" wheels and springs. My alpina's seem very wide indeed.
I wouldnt mind swapping with sum 1 or just selling them for 17"'s

·
Registered
195 Posts
ive got 215/35x19 with 20mm eibachs n the only time i get rubbing is with 4 people and a bit of speedy cornering... i think the fact the suspension is stiffer is the bigger difference in it rubbing less often when lower!!! like darthblader said, keep the profile thin, n lowering just always looks badass.....

·
Registered
362 Posts
I dont really understand this thread....im lowered at least 50mm on my coilovers, and have 18's with 35 profile tyres and no scrubbing anywhere :confused:...
Maybe its because my camber is altered with adjustable suspension arms.....

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
he is on 18;s with a 40 profile tyre/

And the other guy is on 19's with a 35 tyre.

I dont scrape and im on 18;s with a 35 tyre down 43mm:D

Just the bumper lol

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Perhaps its the extra width that is causing the rubbing - im on 40mm drop with 18s but have 205/40 tyres and get no rubbing even with 4 on board... ??? depends where its rubbing I suppose..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well with 3 average weight passengers it scrubs on the slightest turn of the wheel. i have to shout EVERY 1 LEEEAN!! to try and correct it lol.
il ask if i can go down a profile the lower it accordingly, maybe 30mm i would think be ok?

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Ok, im on 215x35x18 tyres with a 18x7.5 inch wheel. My offset is 42mm and im down about 40mm or so.
I get no rubbing at all.

For everyone rubbing, it is all down to the offset , tyre size and wheel width.

For people wondering if they will rub, post up exactly what you have, how big the wheels are, how wide they are, offset and tyre size and we can help

:D:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok i have a set of Alpina Dynamics, and the tyres are Yokohama Parada's which are 215/40/R18..
??

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
they are 18x7.5 anyway, with 18's the better tyre size is 215x35x18 as it keeps the speedo correct and will reduce rubbing.

The extra profile of 40 will be the cause of the rubbing.

lovely wheels btw

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So wider, and larger diameter than stock.

What width and offset are the wheels?

Also, is it just the back, or do you have rubbing on full-lock?

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
So wider, and larger diameter than stock.
What width and offset are the wheels?
Also, is it just the back, or do you have rubbing on full-lock?
His wheels are 18x7.5. Cant find the offset though.

With 18" wheels the best tyre combo is 215/35/18, keeps the speedo almost perfect, i think it is off by -0.1%

I always found it strange that dealers released the cars with an 18" wheel with runflats that affected the speedo. 205/40/18.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Barons of Farnborough built the car with these so i assumed they were ok with the speedo etc.
But i need new front tyres so il get all four done and then lower it me thinks that should look the dogs veggies.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts