MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Yesterday the brake pad warning light came up on my MC. I’ve checked the outer pads it is more than 5mm. So I took an appointment to the dealer being sure it was going to be an under warranty job of somesort. :cool:

I went to the appointment today. The BMW guy think I have to change the front and rear brake pads (£220). Well, I found it hard to believe, I have only done 16000 miles since new (half of what I've done with my previous car which was nearly as powerful as my MC and a bit heavier). I know I’m driving the Mini hard, but I’m not doing any trackday! :red:

Because I read in a thread than inner and outer pad should have the same wear or you could have a calliper problem I’ve asked the BMW guy to show me the pads before proceeding and effectively the inner pad has only 1 or 2 mm left (outer is >5mm) :(

Because they removed the wheel to show me the pads they now want me to pay £38 for the 20min work if I leave without letting them doing the £220 job :eek:
I’ve asked them to do only the front and to give me the old pads so I’ll try to claim the money back if it should be an under warranty problem.

These guys don’t really seem to be aware of any calliper problem on the Mini. Should I trust them? :rolleyes:

Please somebody help! I think there is something wrong here. Does all your Mini wear their pads at 16000 miles?? Do I have screwed callipers? :confused:

·
racing is in my blood
203 Posts
that sounds a wee bit high but nothing too crazy. my old focus had new fronts after 18,000miles.

my driving is FAR better now. with more motorsport behind me, i drive much more smoothly and i use the brakes far less.

not being cheeky, but maybe you should adjust your driving style a wee bit. a 'high performance' driving course, or even the IAM test (possibly with cheaper insurance!) may help your driving etc. please don't take that the wrong way!!

inner/outer wear doesn't HAVE to be the same. i depends on the car etc. i've seen rally cars with pads to the metal on the inside, almost brand new on the outside.

You can change the pads yourself quite easily. even someone with no mechanical experience, but a Haynes manual could change them in about 2 hours. i'm no mechanical genius and i can change pads in about 40 mins so i'm sure you can manage it!!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hmmm. I just passed 22K miles and underwent the first major service this past weekend and my pads have 13mm left on all four wheels. BTW, I have historically been extremely hard on my brakes on other vehicles so your wear rate sounds unusual.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm always waiting for a good reason to break, I mean I'm never breaking if I can avoid it by decelerating or/and changing down a gear. I’m not that kind of person who makes traffic jam just because they can’t stop breaking for any reason…
:red: :eb: :velvet: :yellow:
Even if I agree I’m a bit enthusiast because of my sport suspension plus package, I still can’t believe there is such a difference between the Mini and my previous car (Rover 45 turbo diesel) which was heavier and nearly as fast (much more torque).

Does that mean I hold the record? Anyone did worse than me?

I just can’t believe it.

·
Sotherner up north
1,221 Posts
I had my rears changed at about 16k miles - MINI dealers explination was that the new type non-abestos pads are much less hard wearing than the old type :rolleyes:

If I was parinoid I'd supect a material change to generate more work for the dealers.

Mark :indi:

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
I had a squeel from the rear on one side, took the wheel off to find the outer pad had worn away fully whilst the inner pad was still great
All other wheels were fine
Into dealer - new caliper & pads under warranty
18000 miles

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, thank you all for your messages and sharing your experiences, I don't think I have a calliper problem anymore.
I had a good look at the pad and I don't think there is much more than 3mm difference between inner and outer pad.

The only thing that still pi$$ me off is the way the dealer did it. Basically, looking at the pads I could have wait another 1000 miles to change them but that BMW guy managed his business so I have no other choice than doing it now or paying £38 just for having had a look at them.

I think I’m going to buy some new tools and read the DIY forums much often from now...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
Sushi
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing