MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering whether anyone has had their minidisc player replaced (because of the battery draining recall)?? Mine is due to be replaced in a week, and I know it is a real long shot, but I am hoping that the replacement player will play Long Play minidiscs (it is standard Minidisc technology and has been for well over a year).

Can anyone confirm one way or the other about Long Play on the replacement minidisc players??

Cheers.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
mattbruce said:
I was wondering whether anyone has had their minidisc player replaced (because of the battery draining recall)?? Mine is due to be replaced in a week, and I know it is a real long shot, but I am hoping that the replacement player will play Long Play minidiscs (it is standard Minidisc technology and has been for well over a year).

Can anyone confirm one way or the other about Long Play on the replacement minidisc players??

Cheers.
Sorry to disappoint you Matt, but I had mine replaced in November and it's the same unit as the old one..:(

No track listings, and no Long Play facility. Neither of these bother me that much at the moment as I don't have any other MD units that record in Long Play, but you're right in that it's now the 'standard' and should have been in the MINI from the word go.

You could always keep a log of any glitches that you experience with the car and then 'demand' an upgrade to the stereo as compensation somewhere down the line?..

Interestingly I noticed on my service dept's computer the other day that the MD unit is showing as costing close to £400, so we're already getting it at a discounted rate (which makes me think the 'upgrade' plan may be a long shot..:( )

·
Registered
247 Posts
You are having a laugh aren't you, does the MD really not play long play, I've just brought a LP Minidisc walkman and spent ages recording for when my replacement arrives and now I'll have to redo them all!!

Sort it out BMW...

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Varse said:
You are having a laugh aren't you, does the MD really not play long play?... now I'll have to redo them all!!

Sort it out BMW...
'fraid so Varse - when I griped about this to the dealers back in September they more or less said it's a 'quality' stereo so it doesn't need gimmicks' (or words to that effect)...still no excuse though..:(

A Hi-Fi buff friend of mine is convinced however that the recording and playback quality suffers on long play, although I think you need to be seriously into hi-fi to notice the difference?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Dogger said:

'fraid so Varse - when I griped about this to the dealers back in September they more or less said it's a 'quality' stereo so it doesn't need gimmicks' (or words to that effect)...still no excuse though..:(

A Hi-Fi buff friend of mine is convinced however that the recording and playback quality suffers on long play, although I think you need to be seriously into hi-fi to notice the difference?

I'm having this problem too, as a Mini Disc user with a LP walkman and rack unit. Yes quality does suffer a bit but 2LP lets you get a double CD on one disc. At the moment I'm using MONO to do this. I want both MD(LP) + CD in my MINI when I order it. At the moment the only solution seems to be to get the Boost CD and wait for Sony to upgrade their MD autochanger to LP. Now lets see if a can get some action from the big boys looking in on this forum. Come on BMW, we want MD(LP+Text) in our MINI's and we don't want to replace the head unit with the JVC MD+CD combined DIN head unit because it will spoil the whole appearance of the interior.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I had my Minidisc player replaced yesterday, and as predicted it still doesn't play Long Play minidiscs :mad:

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
i cannot believe this

i have had minidisc since the start and have a great pioneer system at home which i record everything in LP

didnt even think to ask if the unit plays LP when i ordered, its like buying a video that doesnt have a scart lead or something, and am i also right in reading that it doesnt give u track name or details as it plays??

how can they then justify this being 400????

the top of the range sony is less and much better, i had that in the elise

feel robbed now

glad i also now got the cd changer in the boot

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
113 Posts
The list price of the MD unit on its own is £600.

CD is £470.

Radio Boost unit £390.

gulp.

Dave

·
Registered
323 Posts
All of the head units in the Mini's are pretty sh*te, i whipped mine out the first week i had it and stuck my Sony 40W per channel MD player in the slot. It's a bit of a mission taking the side struts off, but i had a garage give me a hand. You can still keep the warranty valid as no cutting of wires is needed and the aerial fits ok. The head units that come with the car are made by Philips. Not to bad, but not to good either. The Sony h/unit i'm using now sounds sweet, the 6x9's in the rear practically act as sub! no need to upgrade the speakers unless you really want to be a 'barry-boy(/girl)'
My Sony is a year or two old and doesnt support MDLP, but i think that Sony are only just starting to phase it in on the in-car-audio equipment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts