MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am seriously concidering converting my R56 Cooper to LPG bacuase of rising fuel costs - petrol £120.9, LPG 55p (both per litre). So, has anyone had their mini coverted? i've had a qoute of around £1,900 is this a good pirce or not?

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
How many miles a year do you do, and how long do you plan to keep your car?

55p per litre may sound attractive on its own, but the miles per gallon when running on LPG will be considerably lower than on petrol, so you'll be filling up way more often.

Add to that the conversion cost and inevitable loss in value come resale time and it may not be worth doing.

You'll also need to take into consideration any warranty implications, as the conversion won't be MINI approved.

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done 40,000 since I got her last April, but will be going to uni in september - so will be doing alot less then.

The mpg is 10% less. ill have to give bad dog mini a PM.

i would think that it would increase the resale value because, in the current situation (only getting worse) it will be more appealing to people as it will be bi-fuel.

·
IJ 2009 - Team 81
3,223 Posts
From experience the MPG is more than 10% less. My last LPG car did 38 on unleaded and 30-32 on LPG. That was an official Rover conversion.

Again from experience dealers don't know what to do with LPG cars, and therfore give lower trade in offers. Well they try ;).

The problem here is that most cars take the coversion well and the tank is hidden discretely in the spare wheel well. But in the MINI no spare wheel well, so you lose most of your boot space. This wil seriously limit your resale options. So you should probably factor in some money for removing the kit before you sell. Not to say you won't sell with the kit.

Calculate how much you'll save and how long it will take to recoupe the conversion cost here

Savings Calculator

A search for LPG on M2.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/search.php?searchid=4895172

·
Registered
44 Posts
What you have said may be true, but I have my mini converted to LPG. I do 40,000 miles a year. Plan to have the car 2 and a half years. The conversion will have paid itself back after month 9.
Mine is an R56 and on LPG on the motorway I get between 37 - 40 mpg.

I have lost my boot space which is the downside. The system can be removed. It's not damaged the dashboard and I had the filler put in the bumper which can be replaced. However, I have known people to fit the refill under the back number plate so it's hidden.

I also have no problem with Mini. It was serviced two weeks ago without issue and the warranty stands (obvioulsy items connected to the LPG wont be covered).

cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts