MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Rakey said:
that'll be too late, I am hoping to order next week for a Jan deliver;)

Been told 2nd or 3rd week in Jan Rakey, but that was a week ago and havent spoken to the dealership since am still faffing with the spec, they dont seem to do revolving number plates anymore :D right how much is the ejector seat.......

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Limited slip differential increases traction resulting in improved handling and increased stability. It also ensures that the threshold for Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) is increased benefiting enthusiastic drivers as they seek the wring the full performance out of their MINI. Limited slip difference is priced at £100 or is fitted as standard if a Chili Pack is specified. It is only offered in conjunction with a manual transmission.

Think thats the easiest explanation - from Mini Press

·
Registered
267 Posts
My MCS is on order also for a Feb. '05 delivery. I have spec'ed the LSD. The only downside I have heard about, but have not experienced myself, is the propensity of the car to understeer or push a bit more in the start of a turn and possibly to the middle of a turn. I think that the benefit of the extra traction coming out of a turn that the LSD will provide is a great tradeoff to the modification I'll have to make to my cornering or turning style/method.

Anyone out there with an aftermarket LSD on a front wheel drive car that can comment?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Andromcs said:
I have spec'ed the LSD. The only downside I have heard about, but have not experienced myself, is the propensity of the car to understeer or push a bit more in the start of a turn and possibly to the middle of a turn. I think that the benefit of the extra traction coming out of a turn that the LSD will provide is a great tradeoff to the modification I'll have to make to my cornering or turning style/method.

Anyone out there with an aftermarket LSD on a front wheel drive car that can comment?
I have a lot of experience in road racing and autocross with a Quaiffe unit in a VW GTI. The MINI LSD as well as the Quaiffe should NOT increase understeer at turn-in in general, because typically one is either off-throttle or trail braking at turn-in, so no torque is being transferred by the LSD to the outside front wheel. When you get on the gas after turn-in, a Quaiffe will cause earlier onset of understeer compared to the open diff. The MINI LSD, which is a 30% unit, should not start sending torque to the outside front wheel until there is 30% faster rotational speed on the inside front wheel. Therefore understeer should not be increased until after that inside front starts spinning.

Of course nobody but the factory folks have actually driven the LSD MINI's, so how it actually is going to feel is speculation!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Andromcs said:
It's been posted that you can't retrofit it.
You can retrofit ANYTHING. The question is really if it's worth the time and effort necessary to do so. I'd imagine fitting a MINI with a limited slip unit would be quite daunting, given the dimensions of the space to work in and the general compactness of the mechanicals. You'd probably have to remove the front bumper and bits and remove the engine and transmission as a whole, fit your LSD and then re-install. Unless you did it yourself, the labor cost would probably be insane.

·
220 of your finest horses
3,009 Posts
I asked about htis

SLEEPY_NOKKIE said:
anyone know how much it is to OEM LSD done afterward?
Having just replaced my mighty Cooper with an S, I was gutted to learn that if I hadn't pulled some strings to get an earlier build date I would have got the option of LSD.

My dealer reckons it would be far too expensive to retro fit as the DSC and ECU would need to be re-worked as would the final drive housing :confused: so best off switching DSC off when you want to put the power down and using a dab of opposite lock and the front discs to limit spin.

S:yeblack:

·
Registered
209 Posts
ErikR said:
I've heard good things about having a LSD in a MINI but are there ant disadvantages?

Thanks,
Erik
Erik, until we all see, hear and feel the Mini LSD in operation I don't think we will know if it will offer a downside or not.

Common LSD misconceptions (as in park77's post) are that all LSD's promote stability and driveability. In front wheel drive cars the opposite can be true.

The main aim is to promote grip by sharing power between the front wheels, an action that during the transition can increase torque steer and nervousness especially with an aggressive diff set up.

The action of spinning power away uselessly through one wheel losing grip, whilst inefficient, also generally allows a smooth transition from grip to slip and vice-versa.

The manner of operation of the LSD is the key to not only promoting grip but doing it in a way that harmonious with driver input and chassis behavior.

With BMW's track record of providing cohesive, undemanding yet tactile driving experiences it would be surprising if they didn't produce an effective active differential for the Mini even if their lack of front wheel drive chassis design experience goes against them.

As for the actual outcome, I think to reserve judgment until independent assessment has been made would be prudent.

I, for one, can't wait to see. :)

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
There is bound to be a downside in addition to cost. In a rear wheel drive car without a
LSD one wheel loses traction and the rear starts to slide out relatively tamely because
the other wheel is still providing grip. With LSD traction, therefore grip, is increased so
you can zoom around corners faster, always nice in racing. The downside is eventually
the traction fails and now both wheels lose grip so the oversteer is a lot more dramatic.
Fine for racing drivers, maybe not for the general public. Hence warning notices in the
manual of my M3. I assume the same is going to be true for front wheel drive. Go into
a corner and break traction on one wheel and you get understeer at a relatively tame
rate as the other wheel is still helping out. Do this with LSD and both wheels will give
up together and you'll get big time understeer? Not that any of us would be tempted to
get back on the throttle too early leaving a corner ;) .

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Was only quoting from info on Mini2 - which appears to be a Mini press release- dont think they would legally be allowed to give any misconceptions..... wouldnt have thought BMW/Mini would have added the LSD without fully testing it, im not really looking at it in a negative way especially from a manufacturer with a proven track record of great handling well engineered cars, which in reality is highly likely to continue with the addition of LSD to the Mini. There are negative points about everything I.E a great sound system can be installed in a car but the downside could be if you turn it up to loud to regulary it will affect your hearing or if you trap your hand in the door you may lose some fingers. Cant see Mini having the addition of LSD to the S having any major negatives.

·
Registered
691 Posts
LSD--I thought we settled that question back in the sixties...and seventies....

Seriously, I'd like to have LSD because it will provide better traction when I'm crossing turf, sand, gravel, and other non-tarmacadam surfaces.

Think rooster tails (and paint chipping...!).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.