MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this hasn't been asked before.. couldn't find anything in search. My question:

In normal, everyday driving, will the LSD make any difference? There may be some 'spirited' driving going on, but I don't think this Mini will ever see track time. Thoughts?

Thanks!
-t
 

·
Ducati Corse
Joined
·
125 Posts
tetrax said:
Hope this hasn't been asked before.. couldn't find anything in search. My question:

In normal, everyday driving, will the LSD make any difference? There may be some 'spirited' driving going on, but I don't think this Mini will ever see track time. Thoughts?

Thanks!
-t
My guess is that unless your everyday driving is pretty aggressive then there probably is no real difference. Still, I wish my MCS had it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
I swore I'd never drive on LSD ever again. The last time I did, the lines in the road were 2 feet above the road and coming out the dashboard. I havent done LSD since 1994, before that, 1989 but it used to be a regular thing, back in the early 80's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
tetrax said:
In normal, everyday driving, will the LSD make any difference? There may be some 'spirited' driving going on, but I don't think this Mini will ever see track time. Thoughts?
-t
According to the latest press release on the LS differenital, it is a torque-biasing 30% unit. You should not fell any difference from the open differential car until there is 30% more torque being transferred to one front wheel compared to the other. In other words, either in low traction conditions (snow, ice, heavy rain, oil on road) or when cornering hard and applying throttle when the inside wheel is unloaded, especially with lower gears when higher torque is being sent to the wheels.

Nobody except BMW testers have actually driven these cars so we shall see if they do perform as expected. I have one one order.

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,522 Posts
You can never have too much traction :D. Although you don't have the requisite density
of roundabouts to appreciate fully :p.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,522 Posts
Marbles Mahoney said:
I swore I'd never drive on LSD ever again. The last time I did, the lines in the road were 2 feet above the road and coming out the dashboard. I havent done LSD since 1994, before that, 1989 but it used to be a regular thing, back in the early 80's.
Did you drive on LSD???? You were ripped off you should have been flying :cool: .
 

·
Best Personal Regards
Joined
·
2,022 Posts
I installed one in PKT RKT and my times at Mid Ohio dropped almost 4 seconds, with no other changes. For the street, no difference whatsoever. LSD's in winter are always a good idea, but like the man said, LSD is also for any kind of weather, particularly when indoors and in good company....... :rolleyes:
 

·
6X therapist
Joined
·
13,907 Posts
The 05 'S' with LSD is amazing IMHO, It's very good in slippy situations on corners, and allows nice controlled takeoffs from standing starts.
Just ordered a new car, withnit on and cannot wait to get my hands on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
goonery said:
The 05 'S' with LSD is amazing IMHO, It's very good in slippy situations on corners, and allows nice controlled takeoffs from standing starts.
Just ordered a new car, withnit on and cannot wait to get my hands on it.
Are you referring to the actual Mini-installed LSD? I thought no one had their hands on one of these yet.
-t
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,876 Posts
Great link, goonery. Thanks. This is the info that I have been looking for. To bad it is in German :D Thank goodness for "babel fish".
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top