MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the recommended BMW lubricant for brake caliper guide pins?

Before anybody suggests it, it doesn't look like copper grease.

TIA
Rob.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
BMW's own version of copper grease that they supply in little mustard sachets for doing brake pad installs is grey colour.

But I think they may recommend not lubing the guide pins, just cleaning them to perfection - presumably on the grease attracts dirt reasoning.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Shouldn't get any dirt on your guide pins if you remember to put the rubber covers back on,
I'd take what BMW say with a pinch of salt!
They tell new owners the Transmission oil is "LIFELONG" no such thing,just whip out your filler/inspection or drain plugs and hey presto you can be sure the magnets are covered with metal filings.
I'd just put a smear of Copper or white silicone grease and refit the rubber boots.
Regards Phil ;)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Do NOT use copper grease.
There is a special brake grease, but I've never seen that sold anywhere :D
I use lithium high temperature grease :)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Shouldn't get any dirt on your guide pins if you remember to put the rubber covers back on
Don't know about other generations/models of Mini, but the 1st gen slider pins are exposed on the rear brakes (possibly fronts too but I don't remember).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
BMW's own version of copper grease that they supply in little mustard sachets for doing brake pad installs is grey colour.

But I think they may recommend not lubing the guide pins, just cleaning them to perfection - presumably on the grease attracts dirt reasoning.
This is the stuff I was after! Didn't want to use copper grease as I believe it can cause the rubber boots to swell.

If you clean the pins, don't you need to re-grease them? ::wink:: - or are you saying no grease at all? :eeksurprise: - the front pad pins definately had the grey grease in the boots and the car had a FSH by BMW before I got it...

Think I'll check out the silicone greases unless one of the Cotswold guys comes back with a part number for the proper stuff...

UPDATE: Thinking I may go with this - MINTEX ANTI-BRAKE SQUEAL GREASE CERATEC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts