MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Noob
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've gone through several threads and haven't really found what I was after from those who actually have or know about these products.

I'm about to order either a Alta V2 with Lid, or a M7 Cold Air Induction Kit.

Including delivery to me, the Alta comes to roughly $467 Australian, whereas the M7 comes to roughly $398 .. which is quite a bit cheaper.

Would anyone know which is better in terms of ..

1. Power gain .. if any?
2. Fitting difficulty ..
or 3. Sound it produces within the cabin and externally?

Thanks so much for your input!

·
Registered
619 Posts
i have footage of a driveby with my mates car who has a JCW box and mine with the alta, you can tell which one mine is from 10 Miles away ;) I added you on MSN, ill send you the footage.

·
Noob
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured there'd be heaps of people here with either the M7 or the Alta which would at least have some sort of input as to how good .. or not .. either bit of kit is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i have the m7 in take and i love it......
did look at the alta but it was a lot more money and then had to get the lid seperate.
as for power i dont know if its made a difference but i do love the sound all you want to do is put your foot down to hear the supercharger whine.

was not hard to fit either.

cheers dave

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've gone through several threads and haven't really found what I was after from those who actually have or know about these products.

I'm about to order either a Alta V2 with Lid, or a M7 Cold Air Induction Kit.

Including delivery to me, the Alta comes to roughly $467 Australian, whereas the M7 comes to roughly $398 .. which is quite a bit cheaper.

Would anyone know which is better in terms of ..

1. Power gain .. if any?
2. Fitting difficulty ..
or 3. Sound it produces within the cabin and externally?

Thanks so much for your input!
All pretty much the same don't expect massive gains - 3-5hp max regardless of what the company says...
Fairly easy to install
You will notice the difference in the sound both externally and internally...search you tube for clips
The JCW intake is also another to consider (not as loud though)

·
Noob
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All pretty much the same don't expect massive gains - 3-5hp max regardless of what the company says...
Fairly easy to install
You will notice the difference in the sound both externally and internally...search you tube for clips
The JCW intake is also another to consider (not as loud though)
Ahhh. Thanks for the reply mate. I'm guessing the Alta isn't $69 better than the M7 then. I was trying to compare between the two ..and wondering why there is such a large price difference - was wondering if it was a case of "Getting what you pay for ..".

But if both systems are comparable on all aspects, then I can't really justify spending that much more on something which is ideally the same thing.

Was wondering what it was .. which attracts those to buy the more expensive item.

·
Noob
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up purchasing an Alta V2 CAI system from Outmotoring on the 8th of September. Due to a "backorder" with Alta systems, I've had to wait for an extra 4 weeks til they get them in stock .. then wait again for it to be sent to me.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The wait is worth it Imo ;)

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
I have an Alta which i moddified to be a better fit and shield from the hot air better...its great but its loud! Sounds like a jet screaming past on full throttle... very piercing. Alsio loud inside with the tweet and twitter/whistle from the butterfly/intake

·
Registered
325 Posts
I bought the M7 which came with the lid & purchased a Samco induction pipe seperately. Still worked out cheaper than the Alta & the filter is HUGE!!!

To give you an idea on fitting....I live 10 minutes from the office....drove home in my lunch, had a cup of tea, fitted the M7 & was back within the hour :). I didn't even take my suit off :biggrin: LOL

MAFFA

·
Noob
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The wait is worth it Imo ;)
Haha. Thanks. I hope so! I looked at the PDF fitting instructions on the Alta website, and it looks much more complicated that I had ever imagined. I had no idea I'd even need to unplug the battery?!
I hope fitting isn't too hard when I eventually get it.

I bought the M7 which came with the lid & purchased a Samco induction pipe seperately. Still worked out cheaper than the Alta & the filter is HUGE!!!

To give you an idea on fitting....I live 10 minutes from the office....drove home in my lunch, had a cup of tea, fitted the M7 & was back within the hour :). I didn't even take my suit off :biggrin: LOL

MAFFA
Ahhh! I hope the Alta isn't too hard to fit! I was really undecided with the two and ended up getting the Alta, but I would've been just as happy with the M7 I think.
Will see how I go when I eventually receive it.

·
a.k.a. BrainRush
160 Posts
it's recommended to unplug the battery before doing any work on the engine, but it's not totally necessary. I have a minimania unit, and it's just 4 bolts to replace the OEM unit with the aftermarket one. it took me about 15-20 minutes to do whilst taking my time, add another 10 minutes for cutting a hole in the back wall (looking at where the dirt is collecting, it seems that a lot of air (or at least dirty air) comes from there.

not a huge difference in power but it's helps the sound a lot.

·
Noob
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it's recommended to unplug the battery before doing any work on the engine, but it's not totally necessary. I have a minimania unit, and it's just 4 bolts to replace the OEM unit with the aftermarket one. it took me about 15-20 minutes to do whilst taking my time, add another 10 minutes for cutting a hole in the back wall (looking at where the dirt is collecting, it seems that a lot of air (or at least dirty air) comes from there.

not a huge difference in power but it's helps the sound a lot.
Nice. Thanks for the reply. I will see how I go when I eventually receive it!

·
Noob
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have finally received the Alta V2 today! Yay.

Have not opened the box yet - will perhaps give it a crack tonight after work.

Any tips from anyone who has installed it themselves?

·
Registered
619 Posts
yep, follow the instructions :p

·
Noob
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yep, follow the instructions :p
Hahaha.

That was my main plan of attack. However the Alta installation guide has parts which say to refer to FIG 1 etc, however there isn't a FIG 1?

Hahaha. I'll see how I go anyway. Thanks. .. I think.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You should buy it from Altaminiperformance.com
They provide good services. I received my Alta CAI within 3 to 4 days

Not sure about M7

Currently, I'm using the Alta CAI V2 combo pack, I would say it would be louder when you sit in the car because Alta requires to take off the firewall.

The thing I don't like it with the top, you can put any strut bar. Currently, I' still looking for strut bar that can fit on it. You can fit it, but u need to do something on the top.

Hope that helps .. :)

·
Noob
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You should buy it from Altaminiperformance.com
They provide good services. I received my Alta CAI within 3 to 4 days

Not sure about M7

Currently, I'm using the Alta CAI V2 combo pack, I would say it would be louder when you sit in the car because Alta requires to take off the firewall.

The thing I don't like it with the top, you can put any strut bar. Currently, I' still looking for strut bar that can fit on it. You can fit it, but u need to do something on the top.

Hope that helps .. :)
Ahh. That's where I was originally going to buy it from, however they charge more for postage than OutMotoring. It ended up taking almost 8 weeks before I finally received it. I was told that they were backordered for the Alta Pipes, so I was asked if I wanted a generic one, or wanted to wait.

So I waited. And waited .. and when they eventually came in, I followed up on how long it would take to get to me. After more waiting, I finally received the package ONLY TO FIND, that they had a aftermarket pipe in there!

I really couldn't be bothered sending it back and waiting more etc, so installed it last night. Took me FOREVER to get it done as the aftermarket pipe is a little too long, so had to actually CUT a couple of inches off the end.

Eventually had the job done and really happy with it (overall), but was just a little frustrated about the whole ordering process from OutMotoring.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts