MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Little Minx
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An incompetent prat has managed to erase virtually all email folders, video clips and photographs from my MAC (some of that stuff was on the Powerbook and the rest on .MAC) MAC "support" hasn't been very supportive and they've said that all's lost and there's no way of retrieving the deleted files :(

Now I'm no expert - I'm the incompetent prat actually - but I'm convinced there must be a way to do it, and some of you lot on here are hot on this sort of thing so, if you can, please help (post or PM). Much appreciated, people :)

·
UberGeek
850 Posts
Obvious question: Is is in the trash?

If not, you are more or less stuffed. On Windoze boxes with FAT filesystem, you can often recover files, because the FAT entry is deleted, but the content remains in the sectors marked as 'free'.

On Mac's (HFS), the inode will be freed up, but, due to the way that disk maintenance is fairly automatic (you never need to defrag a *nix volume, do you?), it's far more likely that the content has been overwritten.

Of course, in circumastances like these, you restore from backup. You have got a backup, right?

If not - it might be time to learn from this occassion, and invest in a method of backing up data. I have an external 200Gb firewire drive and I rsync my boxes (PowerMac, PowerBook, FreeBSD fileserver and FreeBSD firewall) to the external drive every night.

-Lee

·
UberGeek
850 Posts
punkeyfunky said:
If not - it might be time to learn from this occassion, and invest in a method of backing up data. I have an external 200Gb firewire drive and I rsync my boxes (PowerMac, PowerBook, FreeBSD fileserver and FreeBSD firewall) to the external drive every night.

-Lee
(Replying to my own post.. bad form I know)

If any *nix geeks out there are interested in how to do rsync over ssh, drop me a PM and I'll explain it.

-Lee

·
Little Minx
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh!

That's that then. Thanks though.

Nought left to do but go out and drive my sorrows.

·
minimalist
585 Posts
well, everything punkeyfunky said is true - however if you want to spend some serious money, it's possible to salvage the contents of a drive after up to seven (?) overwrites, magnetic ghosting effects or somesuch. it's gonna cost you though, and you need to send your disk(s) off.

·
Little Minx
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that. Just looked it up and it sounds hopeful. Can back-up my files on it too, and it's not too expensive. You've made my day :D Some of the stuff I lost was pretty important to me. :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Pooh said:
Thanks for that. Just looked it up and it sounds hopeful. Can back-up my files on it too, and it's not too expensive. You've made my day :D Some of the stuff I lost was pretty important to me. :)
Its from my international subterfuge armory:cool: , you are welcome ! Hope it works. :)

·
UberGeek
850 Posts
If you've got *anything* on your Mac that you value or can't live without, I strongly recommend getting some form of backup device.
As mentioned, I use an external firewire hard drive - nice and easy to use (duh, just plug it in!), and I mirror all files over to it every night. My PowerMac has a 150Gb drive, so I bought a 200Gb external drive, giving me an extra 50Gb to play with - very useful when playing with DV streams and such.

My external drive has saved me more than once, and that alone justfies the purchase price...

:)

-Lee

·
Little Minx
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
punkeyfunky said:
If you've got *anything* on your Mac that you value or can't live without, I strongly recommend getting some form of backup device.
As mentioned, I use an external firewire hard drive - nice and easy to use (duh, just plug it in!), and I mirror all files over to it every night. My PowerMac has a 150Gb drive, so I bought a 200Gb external drive, giving me an extra 50Gb to play with - very useful when playing with DV streams and such.

My external drive has saved me more than once, and that alone justfies the purchase price...

:)

-Lee
Morning Punky. Do you think I'd still need an external drive once I get SystemWorks (I have the 17" PowerBook by the way... don't know how big the memory is on it but I'm sure you'd know, eh!)? :) Ta.

·
UberGeek
850 Posts
Pooh said:
Morning Punky. Do you think I'd still need an external drive once I get SystemWorks (I have the 17" PowerBook by the way... don't know how big the memory is on it but I'm sure you'd know, eh!)? :) Ta.
Programs like SystemWorks rely on 'recovering' data from the disk, by searching for the inodes previously used by a file. It's a bit hit and miss, and only works well if you try and recover a file immediately after it's gone.

A separate drive is a fairly cheap way to backup data, for as long as you want. My PowerBook has got a 30Gb drive. Let's say it's got 15Gb used, and I have a 200Gb drive to back things up. I could do a backup every week, of all the data, and have 13 backups (13 copies of the data from each week), before I'd run out of room. Then I'd just delete the oldest one, and stick down a new backup.
That means that if I'd deleted a file I need back, I could recover it up to 13 weeks after it was deleted.

Of course, how you manage the data on a drive is entirely up to you. You can backup as often or rarely as you need to. I do daily backups (because a lot of files change on my box), but you could do it weekly, monthly, or whenever you feel like it.

I'll happily write up a script for anyone that wants it. If I get really clever, I could even write it up with AppleScript so you can be shielded from the raw Darwin command line.

External drives are a few hundred quid, depending on size of the disk.

By all means, feel free to send me an email (that I'll see quickly) or a PM (that'll I'll not see so quickly, only because I don't get to mini2.com every day!) and I'll try and provide more guidance.

-Lee

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
Pooh
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing