MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the topic says today i replaced the Dunlop9000 runflats for a set of Falken 452s and i have to say What A Bloody Differance:eek:

The first thing i noticed is the car is so much more softer over the bumps than before,And it grips around roundabouts much better even though i have only done 30miles so far.I cant wait for them to wear in so i can really see what they capable of!

I cant beleive i never made the switch sooner

Firstly has any1 got the faulkens on there car and do you rate them??I done loads of research before i bought them and everybody raved about them for the money.Not 1 bad word said against them.And i only paid £250 for the set fitted and everthing! I have gone from 205/45/17 to 215/40/17 and it dont seem much diff at the moment but would have thought it would handle a lil better.Time will tell :cool:

Secondly I am selling the 2 rear tyres on Flea Bay aswell if any1 interested let me know.Im looking for about £120 if i can as they have about 7mil tread left on them

Thirdly If ya in any doubt about wether to get rid of the runflats or not you gotta make the switch :biggrin:

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
What a difference I went from 17" runflats with 18" lightweight alloys with non runflats and what a difference especially in the wet.

I went for Pirelli P7000s

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its really quite mad,People read all the topics about it and prob still not sure weather to or not but it truly is worth it.

TBH Hugo its the wet weather grip the faulkens are supposed to have that made me buy them,All the reviews i read say that they are best bang for the buck,Excellant in the wet.Not bad in the dry and a last quite long aswell

Would be cool to hear from some1 else that has the same tyres :smile:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I don't have 452's but the previous version 451's. If you think they are a revelation in the dry wait till it rains. I had Euforias and they were skittish in the rain but the Falkens just gripped and gripped beyond my wet weather bravery. I am sure your 452's will be even better :) .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet Steve,I actually cant wait to drive it in the rain :D

The old runflats used to understeer terribly in the wet.

Still scratch my head to why they would ever use them.Obviously its cos of the lack of space for spare but still a poor design for a trye

Dam right dangerous i say,even my Gfriend who drives like an O.A.P. didnt like driving it in the rain :confused:

·
Giggity-goo!
2,670 Posts
Can you guys please stop wishing for rain?

I'd like some good weather please. You'll have loads of time to test your new tyres in the ****** winter weather! :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi everyone
Just been reading your comments and having only just got my mcs I have the runflats on. My question is that they dont seem to be the best choice of tyre for this type of car. When changing them for non runflats, what do people do about not having a spare wheel if they get a punture?
Is it a case of making sure you have some form of breakdown cover?
Thanks for any comments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tyre weld in the boot,I mean how often do ya get a puncture???

Thats what i think anyway.I have mini assist,not sure if they would pick me up though if i got a puncture in a non runflat?

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts

Thats what i think anyway.I have mini assist,not sure if they would pick me up though if i got a puncture in a non runflat?
Yes Mini Assist would come out for you with non-runflats, i have checked this out with them and if the car is not driveable because of the puncture then No problem, they will come out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes Mini Assist would come out for you with non-runflats, i have checked this out with them and if the car is not driveable because of the puncture then No problem, they will come out.
That's odd, i've been thinking about changing over to non-runflats and have just this minute got off the phone with MINI customer services and they tell me Mini Assist won't come out to you because 'it's an unapproved modification to a car that's specifically built around run-flat tyres'.

her words not mine. Yes i know, what a load of rubbish.

...it's confused me quite a bit now.

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
That's odd, i've been thinking about changing over to non-runflats and have just this minute got off the phone with MINI customer services and they tell me Mini Assist won't come out to you because 'it's an unapproved modification to a car that's specifically built around run-flat tyres'.

her words not mine. Yes i know, what a load of rubbish.

...it's confused me quite a bit now.
I started this thread a while back , heres some peoples comments.
Thats strange you have been told this :confused:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/general-...i-emergencey-cover-non-runflat-call-outs.html

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
3 in the past 3 years and 2 on the motorway at speed.:aargh:

Have thought about converting but the thought of sitting by the side of the road, in the rain, with motorway traffic thundering by, trying to inflate my flat tyre with a can of goo after I've just dropped it and broke the nozzle on the can due to the rain making my hands slippery.......................

As you can tell I'm a "glass half full" kind of person :biggrin::biggrin:

Is it really that easy to use Tyreweld as I would be interested in changing the rubber?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyon ahad experiece of using tyreWeld? Can the tyre be salvaged for normal repair afterwards.
The guy that fitted my tyres said that the old style tyre weld used to be solvent based so when used on the tyre it set rock hard inside and then they could never fix it cos they didnt know where the hole is,But the new style tyre weld is water based so can be removed form the inside of the tyre then the puncture can be fixed.Although companys like kwik fit i cant imagine they would fix it for ya

3 in the past 3 years and 2 on the motorway at speed.:aargh:
Another thing i have heard also is that the runflats are prone to more punctures than non - runflats,Dont know how true that is,Maybe cos there a lot more solid i dont know.

1 thing i do know is that before i changed to runflats my cooper s cab on 205/45/17's felt damrite dangerous in the rain.loads of understeer even my GF didnt like it and now with my new tyres it grips superb and even feels like a new car almost :eek:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I hope i'm wrong and that the lady who dealt with my query may have been a recent inexperienced hire.

I might just ring MINI customer services again and see what response i get. Will post back my experiences... the things i do on a Friday at work :hmph:
Dear all,

I can confirm that MINI Assist will come out and take your vehicle to the nearest dealership or tyre fitting place even if your car has non-run flat tyres fitted to them :smile:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
They are pretty much obliged to come out as even run flats can leave you stranded. If you use tyreweld be aware there is an end by date on the can. I have a newish can in my Mini after the previous passed the expiry date. Never used the stuff in five years so can't say if it works but it looks easy to use.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi All
Seems like I have made a good topic for conversation. I will be changing over to normal tyres as soon as i need to change. Not had the car long so just finding out whats what. As for asking how often do you get a punture,well my last car never had one but my wifes had 3 in a month!! so I guess its the luck of the draw. Just thought id ask as if i did change then sods law says I would probably get one and not know what to do.

Thanks

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
Im running the Faulken ZE 912 on my S , having only done 100 miles on them i cant yet comment on there handling, just yet, there is less tyre noise, the only thing the ride feels a bit , what i can only describe as jelly like if i jolt the steering wheel at high speed , will see how the next few miles go..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts