MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't own a MINI yet, but I'd really like to buy one. My only concern is that the nearest dealership to where I live (in Durham) is Flow, which is 80 miles away in Winston-Salem. Can somebody in the Triangle comment on their experiences with routine maintenance and/or repairs, i.e. where they were done, how convenient it was, etc. Is there a non-dealer in the Triangle who is certified to work on these cars? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'm located about 120 miles from Flow MINI. So far in the 21 months I've owned the car it hasn't proved to be a problem. I've only had to drive up there maybe 5 times during that time. As far as I know there are no places "certified" to work on the cars other than the dealerships.

Basic services (oil changes, etc) are easily accomplished. Any competent garage should be able to perform them. Any other problems you might encounter would be covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
930 Posts
My parents, who live in Durham as well and own a MINI, keep hearing rumors Performance BMW (I think that's the name) in Chapel Hill will soon start servicing MINIs. :confused: :) We'll see....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just bought my car from Flow Mini three weeks ago, I live near the beach so its a good 5 hour drive for me. Luckily it doesn't have to go in until 10,000 miles for the first oil change. My son lives in W-S so that's a bonus.

·
Registered
167 Posts
MerrieMini

Welcome to MINI2 and congratulations on your new MINI.

Please check out www.m2c2.org (MINI Motoring Club of the Carolinas).

Zerwin

Welcome and good luck on your MINI purchase. I bought my MINI in Greenville, SC and I live in Charlotte, NC. I had to drive over 2 hrs for service, but it is worth it to have a MINI. Please check out www.m2c2.org.

·
MINI finally
22 Posts
<bump> Performance Mini is real, but >1 yr away

Bumping this thread in the hope that someone has found a shop in the area. I'm looking for someone to install some springs.

But also to add that I have stopped by Performance BMW in Chapel Hill, and it is true, they will be getting a Mini store. But they need to build a standalone store across the street, so it is at least a year away. Unfortunately, they say they won't be carrying parts or training mechanics until they open the Mini store.

Thanks,
Scott

·
MINI finally
22 Posts
Went to Korman in Greensboro

Just thought I would add that I was unable to find anyone closer than Greensboro to do the work. So I spent a day at Korman Autoworks in Greensboro. They were extremely knowledgeable about the MINI and did a fine job. Plus, their garage is practically a museum, there's an M1 Art Car in the corner, a pair of beautiful 2002tii's, and various other vintage BMWs. In the next bay was a World Challenge car. :D

Scott

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's too bad you didn't see the pulley party thread on NAM...
We just installed pullys, sway bars and springs last Saturday.

If you aren't a member of M2C2, I encourage you to join the club, forums or at least keep an eye on the forums. We hope to continue the work days as well as other fun activities.

M2C2 is the club website.

Pulley party thread

I'm always happy to help work on cars... if you need some help in the future, drop me an note.

Chris

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
8 Posts
Check out European Performance in Raleigh, too.

I got my MINI from MotorCar Investments (adjacent to European) and also got a Porsche 911 from them a while ago - the guys at European are authorized BMW and Porsche service locations and applied for MINI - keep your eyes peeled (they can do work, they just don't have factory support (tech manuals, scanner, etc.) but they sure do great work.

-Dustin

·
Registered
167 Posts
Dustin

Welcome to MINI2.

Please check out our MINI Club in the Carolinas. It is M2C2.org the MINI Motoring Club of the Carolinas. We have over 125 members. Please check us out.

Thanks
George

·
Registered
6 Posts
zerwin said:
I don't own a MINI yet, but I'd really like to buy one. My only concern is that the nearest dealership to where I live (in Durham) is Flow, which is 80 miles away in Winston-Salem. Can somebody in the Triangle comment on their experiences with routine maintenance and/or repairs, i.e. where they were done, how convenient it was, etc. Is there a non-dealer in the Triangle who is certified to work on these cars? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Very good question .. was wondering if there were any updates myself given you wrote this back in 2004!

·
Registered
196 Posts
kesco said:
Very good question .. was wondering if there were any updates myself given you wrote this back in 2004!
There is no specific place yet to take a MINI. Any warranty work just needs to go back to dealer.

I do all my own maintenance and upgrades on my MINI's. I'd be happy to share any experiences and help anyone out if needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts