MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Was just wondering if anyone else was having problems with their Mini Cabrio as I am.

She's just been put through her 2nd MOT and failed. Not on anything small like washer fluid but on "Rear exhaust system has a mounting that it does not fully support the exhaust system". So I had to fork out £100 (!) to D*ick Lovetts to replace the bracket and pass the MOT.

So I'm pretty upset and fed up when I collect my Mini, only to find that I have 5 advisories;

1 - Nearside front lower (rear bush) suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement

2 - Offside front lower (rear bush) suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement

3 - Power steering pipes leaking

4 - Oil leak from gearbox diff seals

5 - Exhaust tailbox corroded

At this point I'm nearly in tears! :aargh:

Has anyone else heard of anything like this happening to a 4 year old Mini? I look after mine and have been complaining about the amount of oil I have had to put in her for around 18 months, and have had 2 oil consumption tests but although it was a high usage, it's "all within acceptable levels".

I'm a huge Mini fan, I love my Mini and look after her and was looking at getting a Clubman towards the end of this year, but right now I can't afford to have all the repairs carried out on mine!

Any help and suggestions would be hugely welcomed!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Mini - the exhaust mountings on my Mini Convertible failed 2 months before my 3 year warranty expired - the backbox just dragged on the floor, luckily only 1 mile from home! Got a new exhaust and all mountings done under warranty, but would have cost over £300. Sounds like a common problem, as I see many a mini with rusty back box...

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
The wishbone bushes are commen fault, some go as fast as 15k miles! They cost about a couple of hundred to buy and have fitted.

The PAS pipes leaking is a quick and easy fix, so won't cost much.

The oil leaks could be your issue, they could involve some significant work.

Personally I'd think about the bushes (but if they are not dangerous, which they are not due to it passing the MOT, then maybe leave them). I'd defo do the PAS leaks though (but thats probably quite cheap.... Just don't get BMW to do it at £100 an hour!). Leave the oil leaks and just keep topping up.

If your trading the car against a clubman, leave what is OKish alone, and then its the dealers problem when they buy the car....if your really worried, just don't used that dealer to PX the car for your clubman.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
oil leaks, to be honest i have not been to BMW without them saying there are oil leaks. Show me an engine that doesnt have some oil coming from the seals, joints and ther areas.

To show you what i mean, i took my car in with the old engine and they said oil leaks here there and there. last service it hasa brand new engine in it, with 6000 miles on the clock, guess what, oil leak.

So pinch of salt i would say, as they always say oh weneed to investigate.

Suspensions, well its 4yrs old, blame that on the roads and crap weather here. exhaust, again a known problem it appears. good excuse to get a stainless one i suppose.

·
Purple a Fruit
91 Posts
Problems

The problems with the Cabrios are common after the time and mileage on the cars.
I just got my 50k check up for my MINI on June 26th and here is what they found:

1. oil pan gasket leaking
2. lower control arm bushing cracked and staring to seprate
3. heat shield damage to exhaust
4. one exhaust hanger missing
5. higher rear support for suspension bent
6. passenger-side doorlock bowden cables need to be replaced

Most of this stuff is really minor compared to what can go wrong. A guy on another forum just
had a piston go out on his engine:aargh: after only 40k.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Could be worse, you could have had the roof pack up on you which you'd have no choice to to get fixed straight away:eek:

I'd never have a convertible out of warranty, too many potential issues.

If I did then I'd invest in a warranty with someone like Warranty Direct

·
Registered
13 Posts
Warranty Direct ?
My warrenty runs out october this year , and love my car dont want to get rid of it :( what is warrenty direct and is it expensive??

Thanks
:D

·
MINI on the brain!!!
1,510 Posts
Hmmm you have me thinkin' twice about owning a convertible... :(

·
clubMINI Master
992 Posts
can someone tell me what this is

Exhaust tailbox corroded

I noticed a lot of rust under my car when I had my braces fitted. It is only 9 months old? Is this normal?

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Hmmm you have me thinkin' twice about owning a convertible... :(
Althought I had shed loads of roof issues with my convertible, I still miss it, its a great big bag of fun to own and drive:D

Just go into it with your eyes open and with something to cover you should something go wrong;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts