MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Zing!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys,
I've had my 2004 cooper s for about 3 months and absolutely love it. I just replaced my runflats and s-lites with some nice continental extremecontacts and 17inch team dynamics alloys because I hated my runflats so much. One of the main reasons I got rid of the runflats was that they were so darn hard and made the ride just punishing. Now, the ride is much better with my new wheels and tires, but I wonder if I can do anything to make the car any more comfortable to drive every day. Sometimes, especially in the morning when I am not ready for "performance driving", I feel the suspension is way too stiff. Is there anything else I can do to make the car more comfortable and softer? I am not track driving ever, so it seems excessive to have the suspension so stiff. Does anyone else feel this way? Is there anything I can do?

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Try more rubber.
Get a set of non-runflat 15" wheels/tires for the MINI Cooper and put them on. Much softer ride - and much worse cornering ...

BTW: I just switched back to runflats are riding non-runflats all summer (both on 16" wheels); I have not noticed much difference in ride harshness, although the runflats are noisier ...

·
Zing!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion but I really don't want to replace my wheels and tires. I love the way they look. Is there anything else I can do that doesn't involve changing wheels and tires? What about tire pressures? What is a good pressure for comfortable driving? Are there any simple suspension mods (is that an oxymoron?) I can do?

·
Registered
20 Posts
parkaboy said:
Sometimes, especially in the morning when I am not ready for "performance driving", I feel the suspension is way too stiff. Is there anything else I can do to make the car more comfortable and softer? I am not track driving ever, so it seems excessive to have the suspension so stiff. Does anyone else feel this way? Is there anything I can do?
I agree with you about the suspension, and would love to know how to have a more confortable driving.

I love my mini and would never ever change it, and I have it for the control and the handling, but I think the driving experience could be better.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
parkaboy said:
Thanks for the suggestion but I really don't want to replace my wheels and tires. I love the way they look. Is there anything else I can do that doesn't involve changing wheels and tires? What about tire pressures? What is a good pressure for comfortable driving? Are there any simple suspension mods (is that an oxymoron?) I can do?
What is your tire pressure?
You can't go too soft or you get bad wear patterns and high sidewall temps( just ask the Explorer drivers :rolleyes: ) 33psi front and around 30 rear on a single occupant car is a good place to start

The suspension will soften a bit over time but I don't think it will really help in your situation.

You won't change the tires as suggested and you bought a car with a well known siff suspension. A bit unrealistic to expect some miracle cure IMO.

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Try sitting on a cushion...!

Don't have the seat set fully lowered... lower the tyre pressure all round (I did this for a few months when i had a bad back, went down to 30lbs, didn't see any wear/handling problems). Tyre pressure is too high in my opinion anyway....

Can't think of much else. Buy a second car for when your feeling 'old' (something comfy, that you can wear your cardigan, slippers and elasticated waist trousers in...) :p

·
Zing!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the reply containing helpful hints tony! I noticed that I do have my seat all the way down. I am going to check on my tire pressure and raise my seat a little bit. Maybe I will wear padded pants!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been recommended the Eibach spring kit, which apparantly softens the ride up on the straights, and firms up again on cornering - at £300 fitted, not bad value either - I will probably go for this, don't know if anyone has any experience of it...

M

·
Registered
14 Posts
ride quality

I guess all things are relative. I got my MCS about a month ago and I'm amazed at how gentle Boston's busted roads have become on my teeth -- but then my last car was an Integra GSR. I really wouldn't get into changing the suspension to make it more comfortable of a ride. The other suggestions are good, one more (expensive) idea is changing to seats that offer more damping.

Just a thought.

Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.