MINI Cooper Forum banner

3421 - 3440 of 3619 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Really, they had to do that, cuz they were never going to compete on the hardware front.
My trial is ending this week, to be cautions I renewed month-to-month instead of yearly. But they still say two significant updates are in the pipeline for later this year.
I'm trying hard in the dash forums to convince them to move to an iphone app. :)

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
I'm trying hard in the dash forums to convince them to move to an iphone app. :)
That's a good way to get out of hardware..! They wouldn't have to strike a licensing deal either, although I doubt Apple would approve it. Isn't there a ban on turn-by-turn directions applications? I think they have a deal in the pipeline with TomTom that's taking longer than it should to bear fruit. Weren't there TomTom demos on the first iPhone with a dongle to provide the GPS signal..? I wouldn't be surprised if Apple licensed that in, but I would have expected it to see the light of day by now.

·
The girl in the red MINI
772 Posts
First real time posting on the techno-geek thread as I finally have a piece of technology worthy! ;)

I got the 1st gen iPod touch the other day and I am trying to find an EASY way to remove applications on the home screen. Is that even possible? I tried doing some searches last night, but everything said you have to install more things that help you delete other apps. It would be so much easier just to get rid of them. I have a Stocks App that I will NEVER use, so it is just an eye sore at the momement.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Press and hold your finger down on an App, till they all wiggle. The ones you are allowed to delete will have a little red X in the corner. The others, you can't remove.

Stocks is one of them.

But what you can do, is drag them off right to the "last" screen, where you can't see them any more ... for now maybe the last screen is the second one, but over time you'll make more (I have "main", "apps", "game apps", "sound apps (including iTunes)", "unused apps (including Stocks)" ...
You should see how many screens Josh' iPhone has!

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
Who'd have thought we'd see the day when Ian was the first one to chime in with an answer on Apple products..! :D

Anyway Sheena, what he said..! None of the Apps that are built in cannot be deleted, but they can be moved. That goes for the ones on the menu bar at the bottom too. You can switch those 4 out for others if you use a different 4 more often. Congrats on the purchase. :)

·
Resident Panpsychist
2,655 Posts
OK...now I know where to go for support come July!

So...iPhonites:

What is your favorite (non built-in) iPhone app?

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
Apple's Remote app
Shazam
NetNewsWire

Remote has been needed ever since the Airport Express came out and was able to stream music over the WiFi network. Now I can play my music collection all over the house and be able to pause it or change tracks.

Shazam is very clever. It can identify music around you. I've used it to identify songs in commercials, you know the situation: you know you recognize the song but you can't place it. I even used it at the Berkeley School of Music to identify the music that was playing while we were waiting to see Paul Weller and there was a LOT of background noise there. It can't do live music, but it can recognize a lot..!

NetNewsWire is a nice RSS feed reader if you need one of those.

·
Rabid Motorer
2,235 Posts
I actually thought NetNewsWire was so bad that I dumped the desktop client and went to Google Reader. I've pared my reading list down quite a bit (194 subscriptions on gReader, now) but the NNW iPhone client was unusably slow, and pretty crashy.

I find myself playing a lot of Freecell with Sol Free; makes meetings go much faster.

X-Plane is quite cool.

Has anyone checked out Dynolicious?

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
I see it in the amount of spam filtered by Gmail both at home and work.

Someone needs to calculate the saved bandwidth from all this, and start to put a real $ value on spam - then maybe folks will be more active in trying to kill it off.

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
I haven't had NNW iPhone client crash, but I don't use it that much. I have about 5 subscriptions in it.

·
Resident Panpsychist
2,655 Posts
[RANT]

So I decided to convert Lightroom and Photoshop to my Mac platform. A call was placed to Adobe on 10/16 to help me with this process. I was told that Lightroom should just be removed from my XP partition and installed on the Mac; code for both platforms are contained on the CD. Fine. Worked like a charm.

Now, about Photoshop...

My PC version is CS and they aren't offering any cross-platform conversions except to CS4. But they do give you a break in price: $200 instead of $700. All I needed to do was to sign a Letter of Destruction (LOD) declaring that I have removed the software from my old platform and have destroyed the original CD. This was done and the LOD faxed to them on 10/16.

On 11/02, I received an email from Adobe saying that my case number was being closed since they had not received my LOD. What? A subsequent call to Mumbai eventually routed me to California where my call was answered by the Sales group. "Nope, no record of receiving the fax. Could you please scan the LOD and attach it to an email addressed to [email protected]"? the Sales Goon said. So done on 11/02.

On 11/05 I called to make sure that someone in the giant black hole had actually stumbled upon my email/LOD. "Why yes, we have received the LOD and your case has been reopened.", I was told. Good news...but...I am without Photoshop and am using a signature that needs editing. "No problem" the second Sales Goon said, "just download the trial version and use it for 30-days. Your software should ship within 24-48 hours."

On 11/05, a search of Adobe's site uncovered the fact that there was no trial version available. And, surprisingly, by 11/30 the software had not shown up on my doorstep. So yesterday, a call was placed to Sales Goon number 3 for an update.

TM: Has CS4 per ticket #12345 been shipped yet?
SG3: The ticket is still open.
TM: Ummm...Does that mean it has not shipped?
SG3: I imagine that it was it means.
TM: Do you have an estimated ship date?
SG3: I expect it will be within 24-48 hours.
TM: This is what I was told a month ago.
SG3: Yes.
TM: [incredulous] Yes - you see that in the ticket's journal or Yes - you believe I was told that.
SG3: Yes, I see an entry of your call on 11/05 but no, I don't see a commitment to the 24-48 time frame.
TM: But you are telling me today (on December 1) that I should receive the software in 24-48 hours?
SG3: You should.
TM: [steam beginning to issue from ear canals] Can you commit to that and enter it into the ticket?
SG3: No. I have no control over shipping deadlines. That is why the 11/05 entry did not show a 24-48 hour commitment.
TM: [eyeballs precariously protruding] So why are you now telling me that the software should ship within 24-48 hours if you have no control over shipping deadlines?
SG3: We are hoping to complete the shipment within 24-48 hours. Is there anything else I can help you with?
TM: [resigned frustration] And I was hoping you wouldn't dangle that preposition...
SG3: [pause....] Pardon?
TM: Never mind... [click]

So, this morning I visited Adobe.com and found that a 30-day trial version of Adobe CS4 Extended IS now offered. Any bets on whether I'll receive my actual software within the trial period?

[/RANT]

3421 - 3440 of 3619 Posts