MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after 18 months of procrastination and waiting for the right time and having the right tools for the job.... i have finally done the pulley myself with a mate helping me at home.

Wow what a change.. new car 16psi of boost at 6000rpm the torque curve is awesome... now time for a new ECU map and away we go!!!!

Attachments

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Geez, youre game! :p

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
G'day

Some might call it a brave move :eek: , but for the skilled like yourself I bet it is just a walk in the park. How is the whine now with your DYI intake :D

ps Who do you think will be first in line at your place to get there's done?

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
snoopy said:
G'day

Some might call it a brave move :eek: , but for the skilled like yourself I bet it is just a walk in the park. How is the whine now with your DYI intake :D

ps Who do you think will be first in line at your place to get there's done?

Well it was easy really after doing all the right research, getting the tools. 3 1/2 hours for the first go is not bad. If anyone wants one done and doesnt want to be charged a fortune, hey its not really that hard.

·
I am Jacks wasted life
557 Posts
CanberraCooperS said:
Well it was easy really after doing all the right research, getting the tools. 3 1/2 hours for the first go is not bad. If anyone wants one done and doesnt want to be charged a fortune, hey its not really that hard.
haha whats that..

i think a trip down memory lane is order

remember shooting me down when i suggested it was a fairly easy task easy with the right tools?

CanberraCooperS said:
Guys unless you have all the proper tools and one hell of a pulley puller... dont consider this!!! The pulley doesnt just fall of as it was put on with 600lbs of force at 580 Degrees. Its not just a case of geting any pulley puller onto the factory one and winding it off. Unless you have a way of either cracking the thing in half or a full clamping pulley puller then think seriously about getting it done by a shop that has done it a few times.
theres something very satisfying about being right.. haha

thaaaankyou come again :D

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i got the right Tools... the torque wrench was on Max and well i used the breaker bar on the puller.. but the gearing of the puller was really powerful so it was a worthwhile investment for $32. then $70 for the pulley clamp and the rest i had already.

But yes i did say ages ago that your mad to do it unless you have the right tools.

I dont back down on a good challenge though.

Tim your a nutter.. that Poor Dog!!!

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fantastic... still need to line up a dyno, but will do that after i get my MTH software and cable, car has custom headers, cat back system, custom CAI, 8mm leads with BKR7EIX-11 iridium plugs so its got all the good gear to produce some impressive power.

The sound.....oooooooh baby... Love it..

·
I am Jacks wasted life
557 Posts
anywhoos i was just havin a laugh cause i remembered being shut down for saying it was a relatively easy job if u had any mechanical knowledge with the right tools haha never mind.. i think its great u did it yaself.. i told ya it wasnt that hard :).. i just wish i had all the tools.. meh one day haha let us know how u go with the before and after dynos with and without the MTH software.. cheers :)

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah i would love to Dyno it before and after cause i have other dyno runs from other mods.. so ill see what happens. I have to Fit my oil cooler this week prior to the race event soon. Its not like others as its an more compact design deeper oil cooler from a 71MCS so thats going to be the next DYI happening this week..

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
Just out of interest.. why did you go for the Mini Mania pulley?

I would have thought alta would have been a good choice? you don't hear of too many aussies going through mini mania..

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bkwalker said:
Just out of interest.. why did you go for the Mini Mania pulley?

I would have thought alta would have been a good choice? you don't hear of too many aussies going through mini mania..
I bought the Pulley in December 2002 just after ordering the car. ALTA hardly existed then as the force it is now. So yes i have waited a long time to do this mod. Hey a Pulley is a pulley and this one came with alignment tools and instructions for DYI people like myself which only MiniMadness do as well. Alta dont provide such things as they suggest workshop fitments.

But all in all the best thing about this Mania Pulley is that i can revert to a standard wheel size in under and hours work. Not that i will but its a handy option to have for SC longevity. I dont believe many other pulleys offer such an option.( i could be wrong)

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
guess you're right.. a pulley is a pulley.. its kinda like milk or bread.. cant really go wrong. :)

can't believe you waited 2 years before you put it on!!!!!?????

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ive always wanted to do it myself.. and i have done imense amounts of research on what pros and cons are etc... But the sealer in doing it was an email from Eaton themselves stating that the supercharger is rated to handle a 16% underdrive pulley, and still have a full life expectancy. This completed the decision and due to the fact i Track the car so much ive also learnt to drive it what i think is very fast for something that is very underpowered.. As both Greendevil and StuJones saw at wakefield my style is UNIQUE! with this new power comes alot more low down torque which i have been so wanting. I need to ensure the car is a bulletproof package so an oil cooler is paramount. Both Carl and Stu have oil coolers and there cars where never over 110deg where mine was peaking at 145. So with all this extra power will come more heat and quickly..

no choice but to do the cooler.

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
thats interesting..

It's odd that none of the tuning companys out there do a 16% pulley then!!! not sure how much different it would be to the 15%, but still.. it surely would be a little bit better.

are oil coolers only essential for when you track your car a lot?

your car will be such a weapon when you have a new ECU! get it dynoed for us all:)

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah i guess 15% is safe... the JCW is 13% so in reality you can get that little more with an aftermarket pulley on the JCW kit as well..

Im not expecting the dyno figure to be to flash... wait for the Head and Cam to be done... then lookout.. im getting NealBates Motorsport to Flow the head and fitting a schrick cam.. then im (fingers crossed) hoping to get 160kws at the wheels.
Last dyno run prior to the Pulley was 118kw at the wheels. Have yet to scan this but will post about 5 that i have now showing the steps.. will buy a scanner in the next few weeks.

Reality of it is i might find that just the pulley and ECU are enough to get the power i want on the track... if i do the head and cam.. then re-map the ECU for that i will likely need and LSD

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
CanberraCooperS said:
Reality of it is i might find that just the pulley and ECU are enough to get the power i want on the track... if i do the head and cam.. then re-map the ECU for that i will likely need and LSD

Hi,

Thanks for posting on your upgrades :D :D

As I am sure you are allready aware, the limiting factor of the car on the track is getting traction down on exits. In all honesty, I doubt going for the last little bit of horsepower eg flowing the head, cams etc is going to translate to faster track times, unless you have an LSD :eek:

I am making more than enough power than the car can cope with. The difference between upgrades is whether you get on the gas on the exit at 80% throttle or 60% to induce smoke burning wheel spin. Either way, the exit speed is the same :( You only really get to use the power on the main straights :eek: An LSD would make a huge difference, IMHO :)

Also, the oil cooler is a wise investment ;) However, for Benno, an oil cooler is only required for the track.

Cheers

Robbo

1 - 20 of 40 Posts