Discussion Starter #1
I can see how tuning can be addictive :p

I run a 2005 Cooper S and have the following:

Milltek cat back exhaust
JCW air box with an ITG air filter
Forge Motorsport alloy intercooler
Alta 15% reduced supercharger pulley & shorter belt
Denso iridium spark plugs IK22

I am looking at uprating my suspension & brakes, but after this I want more power

So ignoring the brakes & suspension for the moment what is everyones opinions on my next step for more power?

I assume a manifold would be an ideal next step.
Would my set up need the larger JCW injectors, or is this just going to overfuel the engine?
Would the standard map/ecu cope with the larger injectors?

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
I had no problems with the stock 2005 ecu map and 380cc's, fueling is absolutely fine. Mpg is ok, if i do 60-100 mile trips on country roads driving spiritedly I get 25-27mpg :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
denso's not liking the higher boost? what's the reason for that? is there an evidence base for this?
ive seen more than one car drop a plug with densos theres been a few on here over the years, also speaking to a chap i know whos into the nissan scene they dont like them either for high boost or high temps i know bigshow had some denso issues (its not the plugs on base from per say but when you get up running high temps on track )

have search on this forum about spark plugs and high temps

·
Registered
315 Posts
ive seen more than one car drop a plug with densos theres been a few on here over the years, also speaking to a chap i know whos into the nissan scene they dont like them either for high boost or high temps i know bigshow had some denso issues (its not the plugs on base from per say but when you get up running high temps on track )

have search on this forum about spark plugs and high temps
yeh, i've read those threads before, seems to be a contentious issue, some say it's a more a result of engine issues rather than the spark plugs themselves. i run ngk's, i think lohen recommend denso's don't they?

·
Registered
460 Posts
contentious possibly, but you cant deny more densos have gone on high heat engines than NKG's the ones ive seen have also been running a superchip but i fear its a factor of bad tune more than the actual densos in that way but it shows how vital a good set up and keeping the temps down is

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
The tip of the densos is much finer than the NGK. I believe under high boost/high heat uses this makes them more suseptible to being damaged easily. They are more fragile and bits can break off them, this has been seen on some cars already. The KGK is a much surdier looking tip and seems just as good for spark so i'd go with NGKs rather than densos....thats just my thoughts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts