The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looking at getting a sports manifold.

Milltek 4-1
or
JCW 4-2-1

I've been told that the JCW is more effective because it is a 4-2-1 pipe formation.

I am after the best piece of equipement for sound and performance. I am also after saving a few quid by not buying something that is toooooo expensive. Now, the JCW is about £750 whereas the Milltek is just under £500. - both excluding fitting.

Now, if the JCW gives better overall performance than the Milltek then for the sake of £250 having already spent over £23k, this is not a problem.

Not sure why Milltek haven't done a 4-2-1 pipe formation ?

PS. What is the Lambda sensor lead for? - emissions and engine management or something?

·
racing is in my blood
203 Posts
further to replies on other thread:

generally (please note not always) 4-2-1 produces better low end mid range power and torque.

4-1 gives better top end power.

for absolute power 4-1 is more efficient. but for general use, i'd have a 4-2-1.

K-series engines are used a lot in caterhams, westfields etc for hillclimbing, and despite 4-1 giving a better peak reading, nearly everyone uses a 4-2-1 as it's better through the whole range. seeing as the mini is a bit on the heavy side, more mid range power is no bad thing.

HOWEVER, it is dependant on engines. the Zetec engine, for example works best with a 4-1. it is just that most engines produce most usable power on a 4-2-1.

without comparing dyno plots from the same car on the same rolling road with a 4-1 and a 4-2-1 with no other differences, I don't know which will suit the mini.

have you de-catted your mini? this will probably gain more power than manifold changing.

hope that's some help

::edited:: the lambda -basically- measures what's coming out of the exhaust and alters the fuelling appropriately to keep emissions in check. it works with the ECU. if the car is de-catted, to get the most out of it, it needs remapped. if you don't remap it, it'll retard the ignition and also cut back the fuel as much as it can to try to get emission levels down.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hmm...

the jcw manifold kit does have a 200 cell sports cat with it....plus if you look at the pictures of both systems it appears that the jcw has smoother curves( better flow)....another thing its the one that they use on all their motorsport cars! :D

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
m111nme said:
the jcw manifold kit does have a 200 cell sports cat with it....plus if you look at the pictures of both systems it appears that the jcw has smoother curves( better flow)....another thing its the one that they use on all their motorsport cars! :D
yes, indeed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
!!!

actually the jcw manifold has a 100 cell sports cat! i remember being able to see through it ! :D and boy does it pop on down shifting! :D :red:

·
Riding on JCW power!
367 Posts
I too am interested in a manifold, how do you guys find the JCW at motorway speeds for noise? boomy?

also any problems with insurance or TLC servicing at BMW yet?

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
m111nme said:
actually the jcw manifold has a 100 cell sports cat! i remember being able to see through it ! :D and boy does it pop on down shifting! :D :red:
Milltek is 4-1 (high end performance - type-r revs etc.) It is also has more cells.
JCW is 4-2-1 (low/mid range performance - mini schrager perfect). it has only 100 cells.

JCW it is then.

·
Registered
36 Posts
part no...

i have asked jcw about this and apparently they dont sell/fit outside of their workshop! you may neend to email them and perhaps they will be able help !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts