MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've twice had the pleasure of taking a non S Clubman for a test drive, unfortunately it was an automatic transmission. The other test drive I took was a standard Mini Cooper, non S auto. Both the Clubman and the Cooper are fantastic vehicles, and I'm absolutely sold on the Clubman, while the wife is sold on the Cooper.

But my question is for folks who own any type of non S Mini with a manual transmission. Do you feel it has lot of power, or does it leave a lot to be desired? I'm currently at odds on whether I'd like a non S or an S Clubman. Looking for unbiased opinions.

Cheers!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi,

After owning 3 Cooper S minis one of them JCW I now own a Cooper D and I am picking up a new Clubman D at the end of the week :D

I would say test drive both the Petrol and the Deisel I did and much prefered the Deisel it has more mid range pull I found it overtook easier on the motorway than the petrol.

My car is just as much fun to drive as my S just not quite as fast .

I was woried going from an S to a Deisel but ive had no power issues at all. Ok the S is Fun Fun Fun but it depends what you want from the car.

Good Luck Happy Choosing :smile:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Personally I couldn't tell the difference between S/non-S - although I don't drive the vehicle hard and I don't really care if I can go 150MPH instead of 130!

My clubman is a stick and drives well. It's the first manual transmission I've owned (although I had previous driving experience).

Is the S/non-S tranny the same regardless? I think the transmission itself could be geared a bit more aggressive on the low end....

·
Registered
6 Posts
But my question is for folks who own any type of non S Mini with a manual transmission. Do you feel it has lot of power, or does it leave a lot to be desired? I'm currently at odds on whether I'd like a non S or an S Clubman. Looking for unbiased opinions.

Cheers!
Just-A-Cooper manual being driven in the city. More than enough power. Pulls nicely on the highway. If you are looking for LOTS of power, you may want the S. But the Just-A-Cooper is very nicely balanced.

·
Fly Heli's they're fun!
194 Posts
Hello,

I have a regular cooper clubman (non S) with the manual transmission. For me the engine has enough power, especially if you are willing to rev it a bit more. On the highway, the engine does ok in 6th gear, but it is necessary to down shift to 4th or even 3rd during passing and some really big hills in order to maintain speed. This could also be related to our higher altitude. The mileage on the non-S version is better as well.

I have driven an S at the Mini Challenge, and although had more power, I could (an do) live without it.

KatyB, we don't have the pleasure of getting a cooper D here in North America. They left those on the other side of the pond. . .

The suggestion I have is to ensure you test drive the exact configuration you want (if at all possible). i.e. if you want a manual, be sure to drive a manual. The cooper hatch and clubman are not that much different for power so either one would be good in my opinion.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your reviews on this folks! That was one of the big things with me, whether the power was really THAT much different with an S vs a non-S, especially at low speeds. The one thing I noitced when driving the auto trans Cooper and Clubman was that there was a delay when flooring the gas pedal and the engine not responding immediately. I didn't really like it too much, but the get up and go was pretty swift. :)

But my other problem is that I currently don't know how to drive stick. Thankfully the Mass Motoring Club has set aside a day in September for those of us who lack that particular "life skill". lol I REALLY want to learn, and after watching many vids over youtube, I'm pretty confident I can do it. It just amounts to practice afterward.

So based on your thoughts, I think I may opt for a non S Clubman. Afterall, my main motivation for the Mini was gas economy, so the further I can go, the better.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Don't worry I am sure you'll learn quickly! The other option is also to find a driving school and take a couple of lessons on one of their cars.;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don't worry I am sure you'll learn quickly! The other option is also to find a driving school and take a couple of lessons on one of their cars.;)
That's what we did. Money well spent on professional driving lessons with an instructor who specializes in teaching manual shifting.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm, there is a driving school one town over from me. I'll have to look into whether they offer lessons on teaching manual driving. I was fortunate to take some performance driving lessons via the Mazda Rev-It-Up Challenge, very well worth it!

Other than that, I know I said I'm pretty well and settled on getting a non-S, but I'm still a bit unsure overall. (sigh)

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Here in the UK I have gone off of fast cars. On our crowded speed camera infested A roads you soon have to reign in the performance :( . I have gone from an M3 to a R53 Cooper S and I would consider going from this to an R56 non-S next. I'd rather have a car that I need to put a little more thought into driving with verve down B roads (back roads in USA?) and not rely on brute acceleration ( though that is fun as well ;) ). When ever I am in the states I always see people getting speeding tickets so I can't see the scenario much different over there.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Thanks to my superior control of my "reptile brain", I have not had a speeding ticket since in my first year of college - and that was quite some time ago. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/17/nyregion/17towns.html?scp=1&sq=55%20speed%20limit&st=cse "Moving too Fast to Go 55" from the NYTimes.

Agreed - I already have the ability to drive more than 80mph and I really should not be doing that - so unless it's on a track, I'm happy to be driving my Cooper version.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts