MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Mini Countryman - Diesel 1.6 L Manual

Question : How to remove a manual transmisson that is stuck on the engine. Engine and Transmisson out of the car but transmisson bolts removed and the transmisson literally just spins and wont pry out and pull out. Any TIPS ? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated !

Background - Had the engine out to do a timing chain kit - and when back in noticed it was too hard to turn over - so after googling assumed it was the transmisson binding. Sure enough take the engine and transmisson out again and the transmission won't come off the engine..... The transmission went on the engine I thought ok -- but did need to use bolts to push it in the last inch or less...guess that did it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What type of wedge could I use ? I is really stuck on there. There is a gap of about half an inch on top ..none on the bottom unless I pry it and then I can get almost half an inch as well.
It is really really stuck prying doesn't so anything .... Would a windy bag be powerful enough ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
You'd be surprised what a windy bag is capable of! Insert wedge/ bag to apply pressure, then using I piece of wood to protect the casing housing from damage tap all around the bell housing, get as much pressure between the engine and box as you can whilst your hitting the wood around the housing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You'd be surprised what a windy bag is capable of! Insert wedge/ bag to apply pressure, then using I piece of wood to protect the casing housing from damage tap all around the bell housing, get as much pressure between the engine and box as you can whilst your hitting the wood around the housing.
And as evenly spaced as possible!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Chris - bought a wind bag and was able to, by inserting some screw drivers and hard rubber wedges, to be an even spacing of about half an inch around the entire housing.I t is so tight though that the winde bag can't open in anyt further...used a hard plastic dead blow hammer in the spots I could try ...still nothing. Holly shit it is in there tight.
It was mostly tight before at the bottom but I was able to use the wind bag to get the bottom spread a half inch like the rest.
Not sure whats next ---

·
Registered
2011 MINI COUNTRYMAN (R60) 1.6 Cooper D ALL4 Diesel
40 Posts
As I said I’m no expert but perhaps the clutch plate wasn’t aligned when you put the transmission on. is it worth manually depressing the clutch release lever, through the master cylinder aperture, and using something to keep it depressed, whilst simultaneously trying to pull the bell housing off to see if it centralises the clutch plate?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys... Will persist but also don't want to break the housing. The clutch lever is naturally depressed without the slave I think. It doesn't push in any further...

·
Registered
40 Posts
It shouldn't be already depressed & I would have thought you should be able to depress it manually albeit with quite a lot of force. Did the clutch operate normally when it was in the car? My clutch lever was jammed in the bell housing, & wouldn't depress at all. The release bearing was so knackered it allowed the clutch lever to move from side to side so much it got jammed against the side of the bell housing. I released it by levering it sideways so perhaps if you can release the clutch lever it will free it up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not sure what it should do since it isn't against the clutch plate now.. As it is pulled out half an inch or so. It doesn't have any pressure.. Since the transmission spins I went in through the starter hole and can press it out and then it just falls back in..

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’m out at the moment & I can’t remember if you can see the bolts that hold the clutch pressure plate to the flywheel through the slave cylinder aperture. If can get at them could you slacken them off, one by one. rotating the engine by hand to get at all of them?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys - I had a mechanic come over and help. Eventually we were able to pry it off, using first the wind bag and then all the way up to a huge pipe...and even then wouldn't come off the last bit so we had to take the bolts off the clutch to fly wheel once we had it far enough out. So now ordered a new clutch kit...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts