MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 550 Posts

·
Sitting on a park bench..
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, unfortunately, I can verify this as I got bagged today on the Mass Pike West, just past the Framingham rest stop (1 mile east of Exit 12, on the westbound side) at ~2PM.

I did have my V1, but it went off too late...and my unit is >4 years old (guess I need to update the firmware). The trooper clocked me at 83 in a 65....:bad::bad::bad::bad:er. My own fault, rushing home as my daughter was coming home from an emergency appendectomy and I was pushing it(usually just do 75 or so) to see her.

But the crazier thing was as he's writing me up, a car in the high speed lane spun out and went up the jersey barrier, and then came off it...I thought it was going to fly over into the eastbound lane.

Had to wait about 10 mins for the trooper to get that sorted out, etc. I thought he might tear my ticket up but no such luck. :( :(

$188, plus 3 years of surcharges. Ugh. I may fight it and see if I get a sympathetic judge, only my 2nd ticket in 30 years of driving, maybe I'll catch him / her on a good day?

·
spycar and the bouvier
33 Posts
yes they do

im sorry you got your ticket. but i had a nearly similair experience just the other day on 495N in haverhill mass except my v1 is brand new and alerted me just in time to step hard on the brakes. i was traveling at aprrox 20 mph over the posted speed limit. perhaps upgrading your unit is indeed a good idea. i love my unit even more now that it worked in reminding me i was traveling so quickly he he he.

·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mr bones said:
im sorry you got your ticket. but i had a nearly similair experience just the other day on 495N in haverhill mass except my v1 is brand new and alerted me just in time to step hard on the brakes. i was traveling at aprrox 20 mph over the posted speed limit. perhaps upgrading your unit is indeed a good idea. i love my unit even more now that it worked in reminding me i was traveling so quickly he he he.
thanks for the sympathies ;) yup, gonna save up for that. Don't think lidar tkts are beatable...do you?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Most Mass state cruisers have been using Lidar for about 18 months.All will have them by the middle of next year.If you get a Lidar ticket it is prety much etched in stone.Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
That sucks. Most traffic on the pike goes 85-90, :bad::bad::bad::bad:es me off that they are handing out tickets for 83. Were you traveling independently or in a pack of cars?

An updated V1 isn't going to do much with lidar, no radar detector will. If it detects it chances are you've already been had.
Snek can you find out what brand jammers you have mounted in your grill?

Maybe I'll just mount huge bright infrared bulbs in my driving lights and drive with them on all the time...overpower them (All the while cooking anything that may pass in front of me!)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Ok Ivan you got me on that one.That's the only one that I am aware of.I have emaled my source to see if there are any others.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
jwardell said:
That sucks. Most traffic on the pike goes 85-90, :bad::bad::bad::bad:es me off that they are handing out tickets for 83. Were you traveling independently or in a pack of cars?

An updated V1 isn't going to do much with lidar, no radar detector will. If it detects it chances are you've already been had.
Sure I can - I bought it :D The company is Blinder. They have various US dealers.

·
heh...lame
2,422 Posts
The Blinders site is blocked from work! Illegal or questionable!!

·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jwardell said:

Maybe I'll just mount huge bright infrared bulbs in my driving lights and drive with them on all the time...overpower them (All the while cooking anything that may pass in front of me!)
Sympathies appreciated :D Was in a group of cars, so I wasn't off on my own flying by 'em, you're right, I "typically" do about 75 and am in the right hand lane....but maybe my DRLs and shiny MINI stood out :cool:

I expect a ticket on the side roads in Lincoln, etc., but not on the hwy. Oh well, time to be careful (for awhile!).

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Aqualung said:
Sympathies appreciated :D Was in a group of cars, so I wasn't off on my own flying by 'em, you're right, I "typically" do about 75 and am in the right hand lane....but maybe my DRLs and shiny MINI stood out :cool:

I expect a ticket on the side roads in Lincoln, etc., but not on the hwy. Oh well, time to be careful (for awhile!).
...and time to start fighting it ;)

·
Welcome back...
1,435 Posts
Aqualung said:
Well, unfortunately, I can verify this as I got bagged today on the Mass Pike West, just past the Framingham rest stop (1 mile east of Exit 12, on the westbound side) at ~2PM.

I did have my V1, but it went off too late...and my unit is >4 years old (guess I need to update the firmware). The trooper clocked me at 83 in a 65....:bad::bad::bad::bad:er. My own fault, rushing home as my daughter was coming home from an emergency appendectomy and I was pushing it(usually just do 75 or so) to see her.

But the crazier thing was as he's writing me up, a car in the high speed lane spun out and went up the jersey barrier, and then came off it...I thought it was going to fly over into the eastbound lane.

Had to wait about 10 mins for the trooper to get that sorted out, etc. I thought he might tear my ticket up but no such luck. :( :(

$188, plus 3 years of surcharges. Ugh. I may fight it and see if I get a sympathetic judge, only my 2nd ticket in 30 years of driving, maybe I'll catch him / her on a good day?
That sucks, but you shouldn't of been speeding. Sorry to be blunt about it, but you were speeding, you got caught and now it is time to pay the fine. Yes maybe the highway should have a higher limit but for the time being we have to becareful out there, we all have unique cars and they are easy to spot out there in all the other cookie cutter models. So if you speed your more likely going to get caught.

Now onto your V1, do check to see if you can get a firmware update, also I take an alcohol wipe to mine every so often to keep the laser detectors clean, try that as well. Also with the V1 mount it as high as possible and keep the windscreen clean.

Also don't use the V1 as your only source of protection, use at as a tool not a shield. As a tool with good senses you can spot them before trouble hits (Always keep an eye on the road ahead and behind, and if it doesn't feel right then slow down...better safe than sorry). If you use them as a shield, well we all know you are waiting to get caught as every shield breaks down over time.

I have been lucky with my V1, however recently I have seen the cops before my V1 has gone off. Nashua is using Unmarked cars on Rt.3 with Laser. They sit in the breakdown lanes on both sides of the highway. Luckly I have spotted them before my laser warning went off.

Good luck fighting the ticket let us know how you do.

Winslow
:eb:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Aqualung: ouch! I guess the state trooper wasn't interested in the reason. :bad:

K40 makes a laser diffuser unit. Don't know if it's effective, but it retails for $300 usd.

hey,
duard​

"Skating away on the thin ice of a new day..."

·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ha ha rock on "heyduard"....hmmm, it's getting expensive to beat 'em, think I'll go back to my "no more than 10 over" mode....

LordWinslow, thanks for the heads up re: New Hampster mounties...seems like before too long we'll be seeing Lidar at the local level too....regarding the mounting, awhile back I followed a few threads here (and / or over at NAM) and it seemed the overwhelming sentiment was to place it low, so that's what I now do. IYHO is that diff for optimal laser pickup?

My windscreen is crystal clear, to the extent that my family rolls their eyes whenever I head to the cupboard for the Stoners (almost every day) so no worries there....

Also, if others don't know, be vewwwy careful in the Ted Williams, especially heading east to Logan....just before the "open air" section, there's usually a mountie, and that's a 45 mph zone. A friend's brother got tagged for 75 or so, and it was a $250 fine....

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Aqualung said:
ha ha rock on "heyduard"....hmmm, it's getting expensive to beat 'em, think I'll go back to my "no more than 10 over" mode....

LordWinslow, thanks for the heads up re: New Hampster mounties...seems like before too long we'll be seeing Lidar at the local level too....regarding the mounting, awhile back I followed a few threads here (and / or over at NAM) and it seemed the overwhelming sentiment was to place it low, so that's what I now do. IYHO is that diff for optimal laser pickup?
Radar detector should be mounted as high as possible for the longest reach. Laser detector should be mounted as close to the licence plate and headlights as possible, because that's what they are aiming for.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Just got my insurance renewal statement in the mail today and sure enough there was my speeding fine from earlier this year (fought it down to 60 in a 55 but that doesnt help the points), bumping me from a step 9 to a step 10. My insurance is a surprising $400 higher but I have to research if there is any other reason for the hike.

In response to winslow, it's a little different in mass. In NH traffic doesn't drive as fast as us mass-holes, the average speed of traffic on highways here is easily 85, yet our speed limits are still 55; in NH ave speed is 75 and limits are 65. You can play the 10 over rule in NH and many other states, but if you try it in mass you will get eaten up by everyone else doing 25+ over. Why would they raise limits when it enables them to make money off of anyone they want? :mad:

·
Welcome back...
1,435 Posts
jwardell said:
In response to winslow, it's a little different in mass. In NH traffic doesn't drive as fast as us mass-holes, the average speed of traffic on highways here is easily 85, yet our speed limits are still 55; in NH ave speed is 75 and limits are 65. You can play the 10 over rule in NH and many other states, but if you try it in mass you will get eaten up by everyone else doing 25+ over. Why would they raise limits when it enables them to make money off of anyone they want? :mad:
Could of fooled me, you drive though Nashua or Salam lately? 55MPH in both areas and people are doing 80+ easily. I drive a stretch of road in Manchester, 293, it is 50MPH and most people are doing 75+. Got to remember most of the people that live in southern NH are transplants from Mass so they still drive here like they did there. Also I drive from Manchester to Maynard 5-6 days a week so I pass thorugh several 55 limit zones, yes and people are driving fast (RT3 being the biggest). I do agree that most of the roads here at 65 and once into the state traffic is slower, but most of the roads in the southern part are 55 and right along the state line, traffic is going much much faster.

Winslow
:eb:

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Heading to work today, one was sitting in the breakdown lane where 2 empties into 128. Normally southbound backs up blocking off the northbound exit ramp (due to the stupidest highway design I've ever seen that is unique to mass), and morning commuters wishing to exit to 128N hop in the breakdown lane for the few hundred feet which becomes the offramp lane, in the interest of keeping rush hr traffic moving.

Anyway today traffic was all backed up there because there was a trooper sitting there lights-a-flashing simply to block that access. What was MOST bothersome about it is the car was completely unmarked. Had the lights not been flashing (and they were all hidden inside). It was a chevy impala, not a crown vic, and they even had a red bumper sticker on it to further fool you. So keep on the lookout for one of these. I'm sure they use it for bait-and-ticket maneuvers.

1 - 20 of 550 Posts