MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MCS July 03, Manual.

Hi all, I've seen plenty of threads here which seem similar to my problem but most have subtle differences.

I have an 03 MCS with just 20K on the clock. Naughty, naughty, but due to my low mileage I havent had anything bar an oil service done on it in three years, and it has been running sweet as a nut.

So, I take the car in fto the main dealer for a major service and some tarting up, tell the dealer to do everything thats required and part with £1200 for the privilege.

Since this time, whenever I drive the car in stop/start traffic at low (0-15mph) in first/second gear the car repeatedly stalls, all of the fairy lights on the dash light up and the engine restarts itelf. This can happen every 5 seconds for minutes on end until I build up speed again.

Here are a few more facts:-

• Problem has never occurred above 15mph.
  • Problem does not always happen, I can sometimes idle forever and nothing occurs.
  • Car is always warm when this happens, this is not a cold start issue.
  • Besides this fault, there appear to be no other issues.
  • During the service they needed to change a switch on the gearbox for the reversing light, and a boot on the power steering system. nothing else major.

Most of the other threads for this problem seem to be for newer cars, and in many cases a wiring loom replacement has fixed the issue, but I've had this car for 5 years and until now its has been fantastic.

Could this be an issue caused by upgrading the EMS software? Not sure whether they did but its worth a thought.

Can any of you lovely people give me some clues...I'm taking the car back to the dealer on Friday, and just want some ideas so I have some ammunition when they tell me about all the costly work they need to do to repair it .

Thanks...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm, on my drive home tonight I had a bit of a play around.

Is it possioble that the service has lowered my idle speed to a point where using the aircon in slow moving traffic takes enough power from the engine to cause the engine to stall?

I had the issue this evening, but after switching off the aircon, it didn't seem to happen again.

All the same, absolutely never happened prior to the service.

:confused:

·
You are number 6
5,267 Posts
I had a similar problem recently.
Every time I came to a stop the engine would stall unless I kept the revs over 2000.
Turned out that the barometric pressure sensor had failed.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Stalling can be many things. There may be a DTC saved in the computer if there is a sensor problem. Get the computer scanned in real time to read out the freeze frame data and see what the sensors are doing. The first thougt I had was the throttle body motor or harness may have a problem. Look in the engine area for vacuum hoses or wiring pulled loose by a ham fisted tech in there to do your switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts