MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I collected my new DS/B MCS yesterday morning. I'm really pleased with it apart from one thing - it seems as if it may have some kind of electrical fault that prevents it from starting all of the time.

When I drove it off the forecourt it started first time. I then drove straight to halfords (to buy some shampoo ready for the first wash :p ). When I came out the car wouldn't start - there was no response at all when I turned the key, almost as if it was the immobiliser . After a good few minutes of trying and checking the manual to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong my brother suggested trying again with the clutch in. I tried this and the car started straight away??

I went out in the car another few times throughout the day and sometimes it started first time (no clutch) and other times it took quite a few tries (with and without the clutch in.. i.e. puting the clutch in doesn't seem to solve it everytime).

I'd like to think this is just something simple that perhaps I'm doing wrong, but having searched the forums I couldn't find anything, so unfortunately it does seem as if it may be a fault of some sort. I'm just hoping it may go away on its own.

Has anyone else ever experinced/heard of this?

TIA

William.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it may right itself, but if it happens at all today I'll call the dealer.

I only found one thread where someone reported a similar problem (here) and that turned out to be the alarm/immobilier ECU. I presume that would be a fairly simple fix.

Oh, and I'm an early riser :)

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
Well unless you bought one of the first cars on the road it will be covered by warranty - so it "should" be free.

Glad to see I'm not the only insomniac then! :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
minisoopercooper said:
Well unless you bought one of the first cars on the road it will be covered by warranty - so it "should" be free.
The car is brand new so it's definitely covered :)

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Mini ownership.

Sorry to hear about your starting problem. It isn't a charcteristic of the car, it sounds like you have an issue. Immobaliser problems wouldn't give a 'dead' car feeling, the starter motor would turn over but the car would fail to start. i think you have an electrical problem.

First think to do is to properly check the battery connections. Make sure the battery leads are fully tight, including the connection to the 'ground'.

If this doesn't immediatly cure it, call the dealer. The car should turn over faithfully every time you out the key in, even if it takes a second or two for the engine to start.

IMPORTANT****
What ever you do, and whatever happens, don't let this sour your Mini owning experience!!!!

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Tony.

It hasn't happened once so far today (3 first-time starts), so I'm hoping that it has sorted itself out. I'll get straight on to the dealer if it does continue.

And no, it's not souring my Mini owning experience - I'm loving every minute of it :)

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
william_uk said:
Thanks Tony.

It hasn't happened once so far today (3 first-time starts), so I'm hoping that it has sorted itself out. I'll get straight on to the dealer if it does continue.

And no, it's not souring my Mini owning experience - I'm loving every minute of it :)

Go and take it out for a Sunday morning work out mate..... blow away any cobwebs.... :D

·
MINI2 Sex God & etc......
1,106 Posts
could it be that the battery may not of been charged properly, this will probably effect the elecis.

·
Brrrp Brrrp!!!
280 Posts
I suppose this would seem a little silly, but are you engaged in gear?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The_Bster said:
I suppose this would seem a little silly, but are you engaged in gear?
No. I wish it was something simple like that though...

Unfortunately the fault has occured twice today. It does seem as if it occurs when the car has only been 'resting' for a short period, though that could just be coincidence.

I called my dealer earlier and he just told me to call the service department to arrange to have it looked at. I'm going to be too busy with work this week so it will have to be next weekend now (I presume they open on Saturdays?)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I tested it plenty of times today and it started first time every time.... so I'm hoping it may have sorted itself out..... <crosses fingers>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts